Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

8. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 14, 2012, 09:27 BobBob

People are not good at multitasking. Drive behind a person using a cell phone on the freeway. Watch the person swerve and accelerate erratically.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 14, 2012, 08:08 J

tl;dr Ooh, shiny!  

6. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 14, 2012, 02:16 Digitalfiend

The problem is that evolution generally occurs at a relatively slow pace unlike the explosive rate at which technology and its byproducts (e.g. social media/texting, internet, etc) have evolved. I don't think we're keeping up.

As a software developer/analyst who has been exposed to the internet for about 22 years (starting with BBSes and Trumpet WinSOCK), I've recently noticed a slight decrease in my ability to process information as I attempt to keep pace with an ever changing industry. I attribute this to information overload as I find myself constantly bouncing between web pages, checking email, catching up on tech blogs, etc.

I abhor social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, generally avoiding them like the plague, but the constant multitasking required by my daily grind is definitely having an effect on how I process and retain information. Honestly, due to the sheer volume of information that I have to read, I continually catch myself skipping paragraphs in articles, probably in a subconcious and futile attempt to maximize my time. I also find that I'm more easily distracted by related links in tech/coding articles, which link to even more information. This obviously doesn't always yield the best results and I never used to be this way.

As someone mentioned below, two or three weeks of vacation, including reduced or at least more focused use of the internet, has my mind feeling sharper and better able to process and retain what I'm reading.

While I'm not one to be an alarmist, both my wife and I have agreed to strictly limit our young daughter's exposure to TV and computers. She will also never have a smart phone with texting capabilities; I see too many kids walking around like zombies with their eyes glued to their phones as they traverse busy intersections without nary a concern for cars or other pedestrians. There is no need for that sort of constant connectivity to friends and media.

The internet is a vast source of information but as the article states, I think we're starting to see some of the potential side-effects of always being plugged into and bombarded by information.

5. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 14, 2012, 01:17 HorrorScope

PropheT wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 23:09:
The scary part is if what this guy suggests is true, then kids would be so integrated into the multitasking life that they couldn't disconnect from it later on.

Or what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Face it mankind always comes with warnings around newer things. Yeah I'm not saying it's good, but perhaps we'll evolve. We used to be single cores, then dual, now quad and counting...

4. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 23:09 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 22:43:
Study after study after study have shown that multitasking is a net negative for multiple reasons.

That's hard to argue with. So is HorrorScope, unfortunately.

I have to multitask constantly at my job. I always have someone on my phone, have to type and navigate a program at the same time, and usually have something else going on or another conversation going on through other means.

There's not much choice when my employer requires it. I also recognize that after years of doing this... I have serious problems with concentration that I did not have prior to this job. Even a three day weekend shows signs of improvement, though; I can recover from it, with a break or a vacation, at least for a period of time.

The scary part is if what this guy suggests is true, then kids would be so integrated into the multitasking life that they couldn't disconnect from it later on. Being able to relate that to how I feel on a daily basis due to work, and being able to recover after a break enough to understand the effects of it, it's a horrible thought to have a generation who can't repair that deficiency.

3. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 22:43 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 20:43:
"Multitasking is not something we should be encouraging in future generations."

Honestly... What planet does this guy live on.

Hey I'm all for not multi-tasking. Tell the to the Boss and the Wife boss.

Study after study after study have shown that multitasking is a net negative for multiple reasons.

That multitasking is inefficient isn't really news. My Zen instructor exhorted us to focus on one thing at a time in our daily lives as a form of practice towards enlightenment. That practice is 2500 years old!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 13, 2012, 22:03 dj LiTh

I thought it was interesting from a child development standpoint. This being the ADHD generation i can see a point to the multitasking comment. I think as with everything, moderation is key (except my gaming sessions, i'm a lost cause).  

1. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 20:43 HorrorScope

"Multitasking is not something we should be encouraging in future generations."

Honestly... What planet does this guy live on.

Hey I'm all for not multi-tasking. Tell the to the Boss and the Wife boss.

8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo