Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games

An interview on guardian.co.uk hears from Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot, who discusses the French game developer/publisher's take on the future of digitally distributed games. He discusses cross platform games and the next generation of consoles, and says that they will be developing fewer "bigger" games going forward, though they may also be experimenting more with smaller projects:

With next gen consoles, it's going toward bigger games, and yes, we will make less of them. But with free-to-play games, the teams aren't as big so we can try different things and find subjects that are of interest to consumers. We announced Mighty Quest for Epic Loot last week, and we are announcing new types of games. This new environment is actually giving us the chance – because we're reaching new consumers – to develop new types of game brand and experience. What I like about the FTP model is that you are with your consumers all the time – you can spend six months refining the gameplay and then put it in another environment, another title, because you automatically know it works well.

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 14, 2012, 08:09 Kajetan

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 20:49:
Gaming has been basically going nowhere. That creates grumpy people at BluesNews. We all love games, they just become stale and corporate gaming has done little to move things forward, they get stuck in a rut.
Since my discovery of indie games a few years ago, i stopped being grumpy. I just ignore the games the majors make and i live happily ever after

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 20:49 HorrorScope

Face it, in terms of AAA. We are desperate of a major breakthrough.

I say it's either much more interactivity and realistic AI

OR

Totally encompassed head-ware, that makes you feel you are really in the world.

Gaming has been basically going nowhere. That creates grumpy people at BluesNews. We all love games, they just become stale and corporate gaming has done little to move things forward, they get stuck in a rut. Almost all are terribly run, see:

http://tinyurl.com/9g4pez3

28. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 19:46 BobBob

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 17:57:
Rattlehead wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:29:
BobBob wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 12:32:
Most of my favorite games are budget indie titles.

Some are great like Terraria, but most indie titles rely on a gimmick which wears off after the initial release soon after.

Understand but almost all games have their repetitive gimmick. So why spend more?

Well said.

27. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 19:18 Wallshadows

Ubisoft likely has no faith in consumers to turn a substantial profit on their so called AAA titles so what does that say about their products in the first place...  

26. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 18:44 Longjocks

"...we can try different things and find subjects that are of interest to consumers."

Isn't it a big step to completely turn around a business model 180 degrees?

25. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 18:38 Closed Betas

Great, they are having to fly under the radar to reduce the flak from their original consumers. They have to find new ones because the old ones hate their guts..We don't care Ubi, we will be happy when you make 0 games and are a part of history, which you will soon be. We are enjoying the scene of your gasping for air.

24. Re: More Big Picture Details Sep 13, 2012, 17:57 HorrorScope

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:29:

Some are great like Terraria, but most indie titles rely on a gimmick which wears off after the initial release soon after.

Understand but almost all games have their repetitive gimmick. So why spend more?

23. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 17:24 Zadig

Steam says I have 238 games. Ubisoft has 100 games listed on Steam, yet "Beyond Good and Evil" is the only one of their products blighting my account. So by all means please make fewer aaa games. That will eventually free up developers for games I might actually enjoy.  

22. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 16:55 Julio

Slashman wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:32:
He has the corporate scent.

Yep the same one you get walking by the porta-potty

21. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 16:32 Dev

" What I like about the FTP model is that you are with your consumers all the time – you can spend six months refining the gameplay and then put it in another environment, another title, because you automatically know it works well."

Translation: We are going to find a F2P that makes a profit and reskin it into 20 other versions so we don't have to do any other work on it yet have 20 F2P games to sell! You like zombies? Here's a reskin of our castles F2P. You like Space ships? Here's a reskin of our zombies F2P.

20. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 16:32 Slashman

Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:22:
Kajetan wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 13:50:
Cutter wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 13:23:
How guys like this ever get to be in charge of anything boggles the mind.
Having the right social contacts, having the right university diploma and being in the right fraternities, having the right "social scent", not being a filthy upstart and newcomer, originating from the right families.

To get a job as a CEO is very, very easy when you are born in the wealthy part of the city. Social transition is still very weak, classes still exist and influence our daily life.

How true. I remember when I was working corporate and our new North American VP of operations came by. The guy was all of 26 and a Wharton MBA with zero real world experience, but word around the campfire was his family were mucky mucks with our CEO.

He has the corporate scent.

19. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 16:22 Cutter

Kajetan wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 13:50:
Having the right social contacts, having the right university diploma and being in the right fraternities, having the right "social scent", not being a filthy upstart and newcomer, originating from the right families.

To get a job as a CEO is very, very easy when you are born in the wealthy part of the city. Social transition is still very weak, classes still exist and influence our daily life.

How true. I remember when I was working corporate and our new North American VP of operations came by. The guy was all of 26 and a Wharton MBA with zero real world experience, but word around the campfire was his family were mucky mucks with our CEO.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

18. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 15:43 Spektr

Trevellian wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:02:
They thought the trash they've been releasing was still considered AAA? What planet do they live on. With the exception of the Assassin's Creed series they honestly haven't made anything AAA

A lot of crappy console games are considered AAA. Thing there are a lot less AAA titles made already.

17. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 14:29 Rattlehead

16. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 14:21 Beelzebud

Damn. Less games for me to not buy.  

15. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 13:58 Prez

reisub wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:08:
The term AAA just means the budget is so high, if the game doesn't sell a bazzilion copies then the publisher takes a massive financial hit.

That's close to my definition of AAA. To me "AAA Game" more often than not signifies a game with ridiculous, out-of-control production costs with utterly massive advertising budgets. It has almost nothing to do with quality any more. That's not to say that there haven't been some "AAA" games released in recent years that I loved; but nowadays to me slapping the "AAA" tag on a game description doesn't mean anything beyond "we threw a boatload of money at this and if it doesn't sell huge we're sunk".

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 13:50 Kajetan

13. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 13:47 avianflu

if you read between the lines, major game makers are flailing for answers as unit sales dive and expenses go up for 3 years running.

"Free to play is the answer!" Uh-huh.

12. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 13:23 Cutter

ELITE wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 13:00:
I'm sick of this guy.
He appears to talk out of his ass most of the time - would rather they just make games or don't and stop talking.

Agreed. He's clueless and dishonest. How guys like this ever get to be in charge of anything boggles the mind.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

11. Re: Ubisoft Making Fewer AAA Games Sep 13, 2012, 13:02 Creston

I'm interested in Farcry 3, AC3 and Watchmen. They're already being made / almost done.

Everything else Ubi comes up with... eh.

Creston

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo