Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video

This video offers a look at a PAX Prime panel conducted by Firaxis to discuss XCOM: Enemy Unknown, their upcoming continuation of the classic XCOM series. The clip is humbly titled "A Thousand Stupid Ideas on the Road to Glory," as word is: "The four leads from Firaxis Games give attendees insight into the development process including some of the terrible ideas they thought of and ideas that stuck with moderator Geoff Keighley. Also featured in the panel are never-before-seen videos from very early versions of the game that you won't find anywhere else."

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 14, 2012, 16:59 Prez

Slashman wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 08:54:
Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 05:18:
NegaDeath wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 19:17:

...Why do I buy games I don't have time for?

Oooh shiny!

LOL! At least it's good to know I'm not alone in my sad situation.

Well actually...it's because of you that a lot of us are in a similar sad situation. You're setting a bad example!!!!

What is "Blame Prez for your problems" the 21st century version of blaming your parents for everything???

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 14, 2012, 08:58 Dev

I already backed xenonauts and I'm glad I have. It will be a different game than this. I will enjoy them both. I'm planning to pre-order xcom, seeing the actual gameplay vids makes me think it will be an awesome game. It really looks like they've done a good job with it.  

21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 14, 2012, 08:54 Slashman

Prez wrote on Sep 14, 2012, 05:18:

Oooh shiny!

Well actually...it's because of you that a lot of us are in a similar sad situation. You're setting a bad example!!!!

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 14, 2012, 05:18 Prez

Oooh shiny!

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 14, 2012, 01:11 Jerykk

That camera man was terrible. They'd be showing something on the big screen and it would take the camera guy about a minute before realizing that he should actually look at it. Or he'd be looking at it, then go back to looking at the speakers as they're pointing out specific things on the big screen.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:16:
Wow, watched the whole video... very interesting. I assume every studio goes through a similar iteration process, but it was cool to see some of the earlier versions. Also interesting to hear about Sid Meyer stepping in a little bit. That must be great to have Sid Meyer as a resource, even to just bounce ideas off of, etc.

Looking forward to this greatly, now who has a 20-50% off code for Greenmangaming, Steam, Gamersgate, or Direct2Drive?

GMG has a 25% off code that's still working. However, it doesn't work on the North American SKU of XCOM. It does work on the European SKU, for some reason. That said, there is (or was, at least) a trade-in deal where you could save $10 on the NA version. If you own Greed on GMG, you can trade it in and get $7 off the $45 regular price. If you don't already own Greed, you can pick it up for $2 and then trade it in for a total savings of $10. I'm not sure if this trade-in deal is still valid but it worked for me 4 days ago.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/greed/

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 19:17 NegaDeath

Sigh, preordered.

Why do I buy games I don't have time for?

Oooh shiny!

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 19:11 Mashiki Amiketo

Slashman wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:27:
Damn!!! After that RPS article, I may just preorder this now!! ARRGGHH!!! Wall Angry
Yeah I'm almost sure I'm gonna preorder this next week now. I keep putting it off but at this point...argharhlashmarashras;lkjasrf.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 19:05 dj LiTh

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:08:
I have been seeing quite a few comments pooh-poohing Xenonauts and similar Xcom clones for being so similar as to be unnecessary. Maybe I'm weird but the idea of paying a game exactly like the original Xcom but with better graphics and an improved UI is exactly what I have been wanting since forever. I preordered Xenonauts to help the devs and if I could choose whuch game I could have right this second between it and Firaxis' reimagining I'd choose Xenonauts. I'll undoubtedly be getting both, but as it stands right now I am more excited about Xenonauts.

I didnt mean to come off sounding like i was bashing Xenonauts. More that i'm just excited that the official remake is coming along so well that i dont think i'll be paying much attention to Xenonauts and others of the like. Thats not to say that i'm not happy that Xenonauts is being made, i'll probably buy it at some point. I'm also happy that there's always that fallback incase all the indications that the Xcom remake is not up to snuff. You can never have enough tactical TBS games, that i am certain of.

15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 16:27 Slashman

Damn!!! After that RPS article, I may just preorder this now!! ARRGGHH!!! Wall Angry  

14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 16:16 MoreLuckThanSkill

Wow, watched the whole video... very interesting. I assume every studio goes through a similar iteration process, but it was cool to see some of the earlier versions. Also interesting to hear about Sid Meyer stepping in a little bit. That must be great to have Sid Meyer as a resource, even to just bounce ideas off of, etc.

Looking forward to this greatly, now who has a 20-50% off code for Greenmangaming, Steam, Gamersgate, or Direct2Drive?

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 16:08 Prez

I have been seeing quite a few comments pooh-poohing Xenonauts and similar Xcom clones for being so similar as to be unnecessary. Maybe I'm weird but the idea of paying a game exactly like the original Xcom but with better graphics and an improved UI is exactly what I have been wanting since forever. I preordered Xenonauts to help the devs and if I could choose whuch game I could have right this second between it and Firaxis' reimagining I'd choose Xenonauts. I'll undoubtedly be getting both, but as it stands right now I am more excited about Xenonauts.  

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 16:01 Mingus

gilly775 wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:13:
I was reading people on the Desura Xenonauts page about this game destroying theirs. Maybe so, but, to me, Xenonauts plays more like the original X-Com than this one does, esp. when these guys mentioned that they dropped various things out of this game that were present in the original. I think Xenonauts will do fine.

And so it is written, he who is most faithful to their ancestors shall be greatly rewarded.

Sorry, have been playing King of Dragon Pass lately...lol.

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 15:39 dj LiTh

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:46:
For those not looking at RPS: 40 hours on with xcom

Thanks for that! Really great read. Just reinforces exactly what i've been seeing and thinking how great this game will be. Best quote "one of the best turn-based tactical games Iíve played in, well, forever."

As for XN and all the other clones...ya i just rather fire up the original Xcom if thats what i wanted to play. I'm guessing after this game gets released, i wont be firing up the original anymore, let alone playing any of the clones.

Oct 9th is killing me!

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 15:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

I was reading people on the Desura Xenonauts page about this game destroying theirs. Maybe so, but, to me, Xenonauts plays more like the original X-Com than this one does, esp. when these guys mentioned that they dropped various things out of this game that were present in the original. I think Xenonauts will do fine.

Xenonauts, UFO Extraterrestrials 2, etc. the more 'clone-ish' versions of X-Com should be good, but it's not like this game doesn't look awesome also. Of course, the real answer is it's not a binary question, you can play BOTH games, or all three if you've seen anything on UFO-ET2. I know I'm going to play all three when they finally get released.

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 14:46 Mashiki Amiketo

For those not looking at RPS: 40 hours on with xcom

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 14:41 SpectralMeat

He was MC'ing the session and introducing the panel.
Ahh okay, thanks

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 14:13 gilly775

SpectralMeat wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 14:06:
I did not watch the video yet I am still at work but what does Geoff Keighley doing there? Is he a game developer now or something?

He was MC'ing the session and introducing the panel.

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 14:06 SpectralMeat

I did not watch the video yet I am still at work but what does Geoff Keighley doing there? Is he a game developer now or something?  

Steam: SpectralMeat

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 11:12 dj LiTh

InBlack wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:11:
Same here, if I manage to resist the urge to preorder, or buy day-1.

One thing keeps nagging me from the videos Ive seen. The power armour that the troops wear. Why arent they wearing uniforms? Shouldnt you like get this kind of tech only later on in the game? They look way too intimidating in their power armour the Aliens dont fucking stand a chance against these power armour wearing supersoldiers from Earth....

I know its probably a minor nitpick, but it leaves me wondering how and where else they have catered to the 'EPIC' generation...

I know what you mean. In the videos that i've seen they do say that there at a certain point in the game where they've researched laser weapons and some type of armor, i forgot what they called it. I do believe when you first start that you wont be wearing that particular armor (or any?).

The camera man is just atrocious in this, but these guys seem to stand behind their product and also seem to know the importance of this remake. Seeing all the mistakes they went through and them acknowledging they were mistakes that lead them to where they are now gets me even more excited about this title.

I've already preordered, told my girl she aint gettin none that day, i also told work i'll be having the bubonic plague that week and am not to be bothered with mundane capitalistic endeavors. I'll report back how it is then.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 11:58.

4. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Panel Video Sep 13, 2012, 10:59 Ray Ban

InBlack wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:11:
Same here, if I manage to resist the urge to preorder, or buy day-1.

One thing keeps nagging me from the videos Ive seen. The power armour that the troops wear. Why arent they wearing uniforms? Shouldnt you like get this kind of tech only later on in the game? They look way too intimidating in their power armour the Aliens dont fucking stand a chance against these power armour wearing supersoldiers from Earth....

I know its probably a minor nitpick, but it leaves me wondering how and where else they have catered to the 'EPIC' generation...

I've seen a lot of pictures/art of them wearing uniforms with partial body armor. I'm guessing they just want to show of the coolest stuff in the videos to pull in the unwashed masses.

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo