Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 23:50 Silicon Avatar

I'll wait and see how it turns out. Maybe it'll be cool and fun to use.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 19:19 Ray Marden

While at work, I completely forgot about them announcing the details today - I think that says more than enough on its own.

It seems expensive for being equivalent to a current-generation system and I cannot help but think that the tablet is needlessly pushing up the cost and weakening the system specs.

Othrewise...why would I want to buy one? Outside of New Super Mario Bros. U, hardly an innovative Mario game, there is not much else of interest: the crappy free game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, the aging Mass Effect game, a multi-platform game, a crappy Sonic game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platform game, a multi-platofm game, a crappy sports game, a crappy party game, a multi-platform game, some fitness game, some zombie game, and another Scribblenauts game.

Umm....
Compared to my other systems? Or the new PS/Xbox?
Wondering if Nintendo needs to stop doing hardware and focus on games,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 18:44 NegaDeath

ASeven wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 18:05:
The problem is that it was a huge, and I mean absolutely, insanely huge, annual loss. It was so big to the point that if they don't make money this fiscal year they may be forced to go the way of Sega and be software only.

Nah, they lost 40 billion yen in that fiscal year and they had over 800 billion yen in the bank account in march. Not counting assets either, just cash. It's easy to forget that prior to this loss they had multiple consecutive years of crazy, even insulting levels of profits that just got deposited. Even WiiU flopping might not be enough to knock them out.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 18:05 ASeven

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:49:
theglaze wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:38:
Makes one wonder how much longer Nintendo will be a hardware manufacturer...

RIP Sega, I keep your Dreamcast in a glass case

If I recall they just had their first annual loss in over 3 decades. If there's one thing they know how to do its how to be profitable. Sega was a different situation, and sadly as a software only company they're a shadow of their former selves.

The problem is that it was a huge, and I mean absolutely, insanely huge, annual loss. It was so big to the point that if they don't make money this fiscal year they may be forced to go the way of Sega and be software only.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 17:38 saluk

I've stuck up for nintendo's direction in the past, but this just has me scratching my head all over the place. It's like they don't know where to go with it and won't commit to any direction. It's neither mass market nor niche. It offers very little improvement for casual gamers who got on the wii train, and not enough improvement for the hardcore market to justify a second look at the nintendo that they have turned a blind eye to.  

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 16:49 NegaDeath

theglaze wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 16:38:

If I recall they just had their first annual loss in over 3 decades. If there's one thing they know how to do its how to be profitable. Sega was a different situation, and sadly as a software only company they're a shadow of their former selves.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 16:38 theglaze

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 14:55 swedishfriend

People have much less money these days than during the Wii launch so don't expect Wii-U to have the same kind of success.  

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 14:43 DangerDog

They should have just come out with an inexpensive tablet like everyone else is making, tweaked it with some better game controls and the ability to output it to an HD TV.

this is going to be a failure for Nintendo.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 14:07 avianflu

Japan will sell a gazillion of these with "Monster Hunter" coming out for it. Its an easy pass for me though.  

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 13:54 Draugr

ledhead1969 wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 12:04:
Is 2 GB of memory going to be an issue?

From what it sounds like they are expecting you to be running external storage. (they have support for external HDDs out of box.)

And I agree with others here, it's too pricey.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 13:05 Verno

dardin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 13:04:
It's solid in terms of the number of games. However must of the announced games can be played on another system that people already own. The additional features probably won't justify people shelling out $300 to $350 to play the Wii U version. Until they have an exclusive must have title that can only be had on the Wii U I really do not see this thing selling well.

Agreed. It really needs a Wii Sports type game packed in to move it. Most of my friends and family bought a Wii for that game by itself.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 13:04 dardin

Verno wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 12:13:

Depends on too many other hardware factors to really generalize. With the initial wave of games announced, nope. In 3 years, maybe. I was hoping for 4GB personally but they obviously cut some corners to make room in the budget for their dumb tablet.

I have to admit its a solid launch lineup, much better than the 360 or PS3 had.

It's solid in terms of the number of games. However most of the announced games can be played on another system that people already own. The additional features probably won't justify people shelling out $300 to $350 to play the Wii U version. Until they have an exclusive must have title that can only be had on the Wii U I really do not see this thing selling well.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 13:28.

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 12:47 MattyC

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:46:
Yeah, they've fumbled a bit. Expensive second tablet (+$150), no sensor bar...rumored $300+ price, based on Japan pricing...

It's not looking great this morning. The attraction to the wii was the cheaper price, and that it did something the other consoles didn't. For this version, it's close to the price of existing consoles, and does some of the same shit (motion, flailing around) that it's last version did.

Not a good start...

edit: Sensor bar may be back in... http://live.kotaku.com/

Wasn't the original NES big bundle close to $400 when adjusted for inflation? I mean I am not that interested in the Wii U, but I am also hardly flinching at that price.

Follow up: What cost $199.99 in 1988 would cost $363.77 in 2010. However accurate that is.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 12:13 Verno

Depends on too many other hardware factors to really generalize. With the initial wave of games announced, nope. In 3 years, maybe. I was hoping for 4GB personally but they obviously cut some corners to make room in the budget for their dumb tablet.

I have to admit its a solid launch lineup, much better than the 360 or PS3 had.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 12:04 ledhead1969

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 11:35 sauron

nin wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:46:
Yeah, they've fumbled a bit. Expensive second tablet (+$150), no sensor bar...rumored $300+ price, based on Japan pricing...

It's not looking great this morning...

Not a good start...

Agreed. The Wii was cheap enough that parents could buy it for their kids without it being too much of a stretch. Decent price, fun games, family-friendly.

Price with the Wii U is definitely going to be a problem.

Kittens!

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 11:14 NegaDeath

As always it ultimately falls to the games. I'll wait until a price or two drop just like I did with the Wii, by then a good selection should be out. Key word is "should".

I really wished it upscaled Wii games though. Dolphin is a decent alternative but its a little too hard on my cpu.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 11:51.

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 11:03 Verno

ASeven wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:40:
Oh dear, the price of the WiiU and its controller is prohibitive. I can't see Nintendo having much maneuvering space to lower the prices of that hardware in the US and the EU since Nintendo is a bit starved for money.

Yeah that is more than I thought it would be even considering the early adopter penalty pricing. I feel like the controller is just driving up the price unfairly for people who would never use it, I hope they eventually offer a classic controller option or just a bare SKU with nothing.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 13, 2012, 11:00 Beamer

Matshock wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 10:58:
Nobody is going to set up a 4-player game of Mario Party for $600. Can you use Wii remotes too?

Yeah, ostensibly why they don't include remotes in these packages.

The system only supports two of the expensive remotes, if I recall. Everyone else has to use a Wii remote.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo