Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FTL: Faster Than Light This Week

The Steam Page for FTL: Faster Than Light has word that this indie spaceship strategy sim will be released on Friday, providing a pretty quick payoff for their Kickstarter Campaign from less than six months ago (thanks nin). Here's a reminder of what to expect from the game:

In FTL you experience the atmosphere of running a spaceship trying to save the galaxy. It's a dangerous mission, with every encounter presenting a unique challenge with multiple solutions. What will you do if a heavy missile barrage shuts down your shields? Reroute all power to the engines in an attempt to escape, power up additional weapons to blow your enemy out of the sky, or take the fight to them with a boarding party? This "spaceship simulation roguelike-like" allows you to take your ship and crew on an adventure through a randomly generated galaxy filled with glory and bitter defeat.

View
71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

71. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 14, 2012, 18:51 Dev

BTW, if you hover over the ship list (click LIST on the hanger where you pick your ship) you can see how to unlock each ship (in broad terms of course, they don't spoil it exactly). Such as getting to the 5th sector unlocks one, beating boss unlocks another.
There's a complete guide on the FTL forums, but its very spoilerific.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 03:47:
I too would buy 3 or 4 (more) Terrarias (already bought a 4-pack when it came out), especially updated ones.
There's similar games in the pipe on kickstarter, or desura. Some already funded on KS, some in progress
Tumbler wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 16:32:
some preying mantis' transport onto your ship and run around killing your crew. They fight at double h2h strength so your best bet to run the fuck away from them.

About this time you'll hopefully notice the little doors everywhere. Guess what happens when you open them all and those little bastards are stuck in an airless room!
Also, some weapons you can target on your own ship. Like firebombs. If you are a rock and you dont care about fire, light your own ship up to burn those invading mfers!
Leper wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:45:
The graphics don't look bad to me, just simple. The whole game looks a little simple, but that doesn't mean it won't be fun for a while. Simple isn't bad when when the game is cheap.
And with a price of less than $9 on steam, cheap it is

This comment was edited on Sep 14, 2012, 18:59.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

70. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 14, 2012, 07:37 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 22:32:
ASeven wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 08:30:
most ships unlock if you do some missions or some very specific stuff.

I believe ya, but when I entered the 5th zone it was basically like "You made it to the 5th zone, you've unlocked the Engie ship!" and an achievement popped up too.

Yeah, the engie ship is the easiest to unlock since you only need to reach the 5th sector. Most of the other ships are only obtained by doing specific quests successfully.

69. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 22:32 Sepharo

ASeven wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 08:30:
most ships unlock if you do some missions or some very specific stuff.

I believe ya, but when I entered the 5th zone it was basically like "You made it to the 5th zone, you've unlocked the Engie ship!" and an achievement popped up too.

68. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 10:21 yuastnav

space captain wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:44:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:59:
It all depends on how it is presented. If you don't want it to sound like whining you have to say it in a rational manner which has not always been the case.

says the whiny little bitch

don't be too hard on yourself

67. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 09:44 space captain

yuastnav wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:59:
It all depends on how it is presented. If you don't want it to sound like whining you have to say it in a rational manner which has not always been the case.

says the whiny little bitch

Go forth, and kill!

66. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 08:30 ASeven

Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 22:19:
nin wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 22:03:
Yeah, tell us about that! As you get additional ships, do you get more crew or better weapons (IE as you play the game and unlock things, does it get easier to advance?)?

I got an extra crew member from a slaver who demanded one of my crew members but when I destroyed his shields he gave me one of his. But shortly thereafter I had some very close battles that whittled my crew down to the captain eventually. And he can't run that ship by himself, so fail.

edit: Okay you get the Engie ship at the 5th sector... So I assume the ship unlocks work by how far you make it.

Ah no, most ships unlock if you do some missions or some very specific stuff.

As for additional weapons, each ship has its own special weapons, also as you play you usually find a lot of weapons though they aren't necessarily more powerful.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 11:22.

65. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 07:59 yuastnav

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:10:
[...]
I don't think anyone was bitching, whining, complaining, etc. It sounded more to me like people sharing why FTL wasn't appealing to them and why they weren't going to buy the game.
[...]

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 07:10:
[...]
but who are we to tell anyone else what "should be sufficient" for them? Personal tastes are just that - personal.
[...]

You said it yourself: this is a forum for discussion. Anytime someone asks about what game he should play and you come up with a list of games that this person might like you automatically make an implication about what is of sufficient quality to that person and what is not.
People here expressed their opinion, in one way or the other, about how they perceive the graphics so that gives you at least some information what kind of graphics the person would like
If they don't like FTL - fine. It may have been the developer's wish to make this kind of art style or it may have been a budget problem. In any case there many other games out there that can be to someone's liking who doesn't want to play FTL.

64. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 07:10 Prez

One thing that did strike me while watching the video is that this would be an excellent game for a tablet/touchscreen interface.

I'd definitely play it on my tablet. It would be one of the few non-puzzle games I'd consider playing on a mobile device.

That is all well but there are games with have graphics that should be sufficient for the people who complain.

I don't think anyone was bitching, whining, complaining, etc. It sounded more to me like people sharing why FTL wasn't appealing to them and why they weren't going to buy the game. That's sorta kinda what discussion forums are for. I agree that people who see only FTL's minimalist graphics are kind of missing the point, but who are we to tell anyone else what "should be sufficient" for them? Personal tastes are just that - personal. There are games that I might have bought and enjoyed had the screenshots not turned me off - a lot of them indies; I'd be willing to bet most gamers have done the same at least once or twice.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 07:15.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

63. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 05:58 JaguarUSF

Here is my new gameplay video for FTL.  

62. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 05:56 Mordecai Walfish

Looks like really fun game, though somewhat limited in scope and variety..

One thing that did strike me while watching the video is that this would be an excellent game for a tablet/touchscreen interface.

61. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 05:05 yuastnav

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 20:55:
Valley Without Wind is both a fucking awful game and fucking ugly. Why the fuck would you bring it up? What is wrong with you?

I rest my case.

Prez wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 00:09:
You should be congratulating these guys for coming up with an actual unique game idea and, more importantly, executing it well!

I agree with that. For my part, though I understand the complaints about the general graphic fidelity of some indie games (seriously guys it really isn't whining just because someone else cares more about a certain aspect of a game than you do), I am totally in love with the concept of FTL and can't wait to play it.

That is all well but there are games with have graphics that should be sufficient for the people who complain.
Like I said: you don't have to buy it. If someone likes the concept of the game but is put off by the graphics so much that it becomes a dealbreaker then tough luck.
But maybe that's just me. If a game is fun and has good controls then that's enough, in most cases.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 05:13.

60. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 03:47 Mordecai Walfish

J wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 23:58:
Okay, let's see if I can watch nin's video without feeling obligated to buy the game...

Lol about to do the same thing.

I've found from being a member in the forums here that nin seems to have similar tastes in games as I do.. I too would buy 3 or 4 (more) Terrarias (already bought a 4-pack when it came out), especially updated ones. Some fellow made a zelda texture pack for Terraria that I absolutely loved, it even turned the full-moon into the one from Majoras Mask =)

59. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 01:31 Wowbagger_TIP

Just watched the TB video. Sold! Should make a great travel game for my crappy work laptop

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

58. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 01:07 jimnms

I'll eventually pick this up. It does look like fun, but I've got so much shit to play right now. I just finished a play through of FO3 GOTY heavily moded, and I'm about to start FNV (moded) with DLC (I have yet to play the DLC since picking it up during the summer sale). I picked up a couple of games from GoG's sale the other day, and Borderlands 2 comes out next week.  

MeanJim on Steam

57. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 13, 2012, 00:09 Prez

You should be congratulating these guys for coming up with an actual unique game idea and, more importantly, executing it well!

I agree with that. For my part, though I understand the complaints about the general graphic fidelity of some indie games (seriously guys it really isn't whining just because someone else cares more about a certain aspect of a game than you do), I am totally in love with the concept of FTL and can't wait to play it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

56. Re: Re:Indie Rant Sep 13, 2012, 00:01 Jivaro

Tumbler wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:07:
Slashman wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:47:
Indies need to step up a bit. I'm not going to buy another 3 or 4 Terrarias.

I think you might want to adjust your expectations. The graphical quality I think you want is likely only going to come from large publishers who can employ dozens of people to design and create content that has that high quality finish and "almost real" look to it. If you want the outstanding gameplay tied with those graphics what you are asking for is the big publishers to step up their game.

The indies are firing on all cylindars. It's the big boys that are seeing how low they can push the bar and still milk you dry.

This. It really makes a hell of a lot more sense. Demand more from the people asking for the most money, not from the people asking for the least. I haven't paid more then 30 bucks (and usually much less then that) for a AAA title in 3 years because I refuse to give these pricks 50-60 bucks for the xerox copy crap they keep spitting out. The same game but shinier? Fuck that. I'll just wait for the sale. (okay..I have one guilty pleasure...Madden...which is like one of the worst offenders)

The indies are the only ones keeping me in this hobby. I would probably buy 1-3 games a year without that part of the industry. The "AAA" titles just lack innovation, probably because taking a chance on something new is a risk stockholders wouldn't appreciate.

If the gameplay isn't your cup of tea, that is one thing. But to start bitching about graphics for a 10 dollar game made by a Kickstarter...that is just silly.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2012, 00:08.

55. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 23:58 J

Cutter wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 22:46:
Not my cup of tea...old chap. I wish them well though.
Who are you and what have you done with Cutter?

Okay, let's see if I can watch nin's video without feeling obligated to buy the game...

54. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 22:46 Cutter

Not my cup of tea...old chap. I wish them well though.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

53. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 22:19 Sepharo

ASeven wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 21:53:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 21:30:
I'm graphics blind.
It didn't even occur to me that this game had "crappy" graphics until this thread.
Also, it reminded me to actually go play the game, thanks.

Soooo.....

Which ships have you unlocked so far?

I'm terrible at the game but I'm enjoying it. And I mean like sector two bad. But only played a few runs so far.

nin wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 22:03:
Yeah, tell us about that! As you get additional ships, do you get more crew or better weapons (IE as you play the game and unlock things, does it get easier to advance?)?

I got an extra crew member from a slaver who demanded one of my crew members but when I destroyed his shields he gave me one of his. But shortly thereafter I had some very close battles that whittled my crew down to the captain eventually. And he can't run that ship by himself, so fail.

edit: Okay you get the Engie ship at the 5th sector... So I assume the ship unlocks work by how far you make it.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 23:22.

52. Re: FTL: Faster Than Light This Week Sep 12, 2012, 22:03 nin

ASeven wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 21:53:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 21:30:
I'm graphics blind.
It didn't even occur to me that this game had "crappy" graphics until this thread.
Also, it reminded me to actually go play the game, thanks.

Soooo.....

Which ships have you unlocked so far?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

71 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo