Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations

Rock, Paper, Shotgun has instructions distilled from a reddit post on how Steam users can finally select custom locations for their game installations. This is currently only available in the Steam beta and requires a little configuring, but the post includes instructions on how to opt in to the beta as well as on how to enable this new functionality. Thanks nin.

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

12. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 14:45 2nd_floor

How how about letting us select whether we want to download files for a game installation or get them from the DVD that is in the drive.

15/20 games installing on Steam, I have had to cancel the installation as it tries to download 2GB, 4GB, maybe 6+GB, restart the installation, and usually on the 2nd time it gets it from the DVD (never asks you which one you want to do), sometimes it takes a 3rd try.

And then they can put in version numbers for the games we have installed, in the list on the left side. (But they want us thinking like Microsoft does: just see the game you want and click play, do not worry or even think about what is happening behind the scenes, it's all done for you! Just spend money and click play, we'll do the rest!). Everything about computers is version numbers, put them in dammit! (At least make it a user option to display them!)

Damn controlling of users!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 14:23 Verno

Just remembered that Steam is officially 9 years old to the day.

Anyone remember this?

I remember some of the more amusing growing pains such as Friends not working at all for nearly a year and then being flakey as hell for another. The only things on the service were a few Valve games, some mods and a bunch of patches that didn't integrate well. The forum was constantly down and filled with upset Counter-Strike players. Pretty much every PC gaming related forum was overflowing with people who hated it.

Amazing if you think about what it's become since then.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

10. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 13:56 Beamer

I need to buy a new HDD. 2TB should finally be falling in price again, right?
Ug.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 13:48 theyarecomingforyou

I have Steam on a dedicated 3TB drive and even though I keep all my games installed I still have plenty of space left over (my Steam folder is 1.47TB). And with Storage Spaces in Windows 8 you can create a non-redundant or redundant array consisting of several drives with minimal effort, so I've never been too concerned about such a limitation.

However, this feature should have been included from the beginning. I can imagine some people wanting to keep their most played games on a SSD which are notoriously limited in capacity (or using smaller drives if they're on a budget) and I find it bizarre that Valve took this long to implement it. It's hard to applaud Valve for such a basic feature but it's better late than never.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 20:13.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou

8. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 13:08 NegaDeath

I love Steam but that took waaaaaay too damn long to put in. fortunately Steam mover filled the gap. Actually I'll probably still use Steam mover so I can shift currently played games to my SSD.  

7. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:53 Creston

Eh. I have one partition for Steam games, so I've never really been all that worried about needing to install Steam games in different partitions. But it's good that they're finally doing it. Shit, even ORIGIN allows you to.

Creston

6. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:48 Matshock

eunichron wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:24:
FINALLY.

It only took 8 years. What's the rush?

I went with the Seagate Momentous instead of a SSD this time around but SSD will be a must have in a few years.

For now, I'm almost always the 2nd person to load a new map in Tribes Ascend- right after the guy with the SSD.

5. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:26 obo

It only works for some games at the moment, and not all Valve titles are covered. Portal 2 was fine but L4D1 and L4D2 didn't offer a choice of location, and I've heard TF2 doesn't either.  

4. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:24 eunichron

FINALLY.  

3. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:18 Ryan Lange

I swear you used to be able to do this many years ago and they quietly removed that ability for some unknown reason. I have a friend who remembers the same thing, too, but everyone is acting like it was never there.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 12:53.

2. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:16 Verno

Saw gibbed talking about this on IRC the other night and decided to check it out. Works well enough for what it is though there are some refinements to be made. I'm so used to doing it manually using junction points that it will take some getting used to.  

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

1. Re: Steam Beta Allows Custom Installation Locations Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 Ray Marden

It is about time - with super cheap mechanical drives and the rise of (much smaller) SSDs, we can finally - finally - direct the location of installations.

I am so glad that Valve invented this on the PC! Oh, wait...
This is nice. About freaking time.
Thinking the cheap, terabyte sized SSDs cannot come soon enough,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo