Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam

The Legend of Grimrock Website asks for help from those willing to test the Dungeon Editor and modding capabilities they've been developing for Legend of Grimrock over the past four months. They are kicking off a short public beta of the editor today on Steam, since Steam's automatic update system will aide them in the process, and provide reassurances that the editor will be available for all versions of the game once it's complete. They are also enlisting the support of anyone willing to give feedback on their modding documentation or work on model and animation exporters. Thanks Joao.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Ants! Sep 13, 2012, 01:06 Ant

Someone make some ants!  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 21:16 ASeven

I only care to see Dungeon Master 1 recreated. 2 was meh but 1 is still a fucking great design even today.

And of course there'll be a ton of original designs.

18. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 20:51 Wolfen

Orogogus wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:42:
Wolfen wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:40:
I'm hoping some one remakes the EOB series. Or even just one of them.

The only one that really stands up, in my opinion, is EOB 2. EOB is kind of simple, and EOB 3 was bad.

1 or 2 were fine to me. Eob 3 was meh. I agree though, of the 3, 2 stands out the most.

17. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:50 Kosumo

I want to see a "Keith the Theif" remake if anyone knows of that game - Noughty Dog software I think?

edit - My bad it was "Keef the Theif"

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 20:09.

16. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:42 Orogogus

Wolfen wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:40:

The only one that really stands up, in my opinion, is EOB 2. EOB is kind of simple, and EOB 3 was bad.

15. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:40 Wolfen

14. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:20 Orogogus

jimnms wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 18:01:
PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:25:
Yeah but I question the ability to do anything more than what Grimrock itself did. There's only so many types of puzzles and hidden wall switches Grimrock is capable of, and the original campaign managed to cover most bases.

I bet people will be re-creating games like EOTB.

Like I said earlier, there were only ever a handful of games like Grimrock, and one of them had randomly generated dungeons as its schtick.

13. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 18:01 jimnms

Frijoles wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:13:
Kinda late, IMO. It would have been good to have on release, but dunno if I'd go back now. I guess if something really great came out.

WTF, it's never too late. I still play HL2 mods FFS.

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:25:
Yeah but I question the ability to do anything more than what Grimrock itself did. There's only so many types of puzzles and hidden wall switches Grimrock is capable of, and the original campaign managed to cover most bases.

I bet people will be re-creating games like EOTB.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 17:25 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 15:09 ASeven

Gadzooks wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:05:
Kinda late, IMO. It would have been good to have on release, but dunno if I'd go back now. I guess if something really great came out.

The thing with this style of game, reminiscent of old games like Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master, is that I always have an urge to play them every so often. The urge might be 6 months here, 8 months there, but until now, I was limited to replaying games from 1992. The level editor basically means when I have the urge for this type of game, I can play NEW levels and puzzles designed by many of the creative members of the community.

Exactly this.

10. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 14:05 Gadzooks

The thing with this style of game, reminiscent of old games like Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master, is that I always have an urge to play them every so often. The urge might be 6 months here, 8 months there, but until now, I was limited to replaying games from 1992. The level editor basically means when I have the urge for this type of game, I can play NEW levels and puzzles designed by many of the creative members of the community.

Maybe, it will get its own workshop page on steam. That would be awesome.

9. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 13:09 Beamer

I still felt this game was too retro and not fun for that reason (maybe it's just because I missed this kind of dungeon crawler so didn't have the nostalgia about being kind of on a rail as far as motion goes), but this is still pretty awesome.  
-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 13:07 deqer

I think the problem is they talked about the editor in the first place. If they not had mentioned it, it would be better received at this time.

But since everyone knew about it, it's a little depressing to not have seen it come out quicker than now because all this time people could've been making maps and stuff after they finished the game; but instead they had nothing to do, and the interest died there.

So yeah, a little late, I think.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 13:45.

7. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 13:05 Orogogus

There were only ever a handful of games in this genre. 3 EotB games, Dungeon Hack, Dungeon Master and Stonekeep. I think people were talking about recreating Wizardry, but those turn-based dungeon crawlers were never designed for dancing around in real-time combat. Like, Might and Magic would have giant 1-wide spiral corridors, which would utterly suck.  

6. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 13:02 ASeven

Can't see why that's a detriment, in the same way Amnesia mods came out as late as this and managed to inject even more life into the game.

This is the kind of game that, with the editor, is more of a Dungeon Master sandbox that people can use to create or recreate the great dungeons of the past.

5. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 12:52 The Phantom Chicken of CS_Italy

AngelicPenguin wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:44:
Amnesia had mods? I just played (and enjoyed the hell out of) the base game.
http://www.moddb.com/games/amnesia-the-dark-descent

4. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 12:44 AngelicPenguin

Amnesia had mods? I just played (and enjoyed the hell out of) the base game.  

3. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 12:19 Cutter

^This.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 Frijoles

1. Re: Legend of Grimrock Beta Editor on Steam Sep 12, 2012, 12:10 ASeven

Ah, now the true potential of this game can finally be unlocked. It was an awesome game, with modtools this one can easily become a classic like Amnesia has become.  

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo