Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

First Steam Greenlight Selections

Valve announces the first 10 titles being added to Steam thanks to the new Steam Greenlight program, saying they will be released independently in the months ahead. "The Steam community rallied around these titles and made them the clear choice for the first set of titles to launch out of Greenlight," said Anna Sweet of Valve. "Since launch, hundreds of titles have been submitted, with more coming in every day. We expect to be announcing more titles coming to Steam via Greenlight soon." Here are the ten honorees:

• Black Mesa
  • Cry of Fear
  • Dream
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Kenshi
  • McPixel
  • No More Room in Hell
  • Project Zomboid
  • Routine
  • Towns

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

74. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 16, 2012, 01:06 Sepharo

Dev wrote on Sep 15, 2012, 23:52:
What I'm confused about is why valve is letting someone else make money off their IP in black mesa? Or is something else going on?

Edit: Oh wait, is valve going to have this as an free download hosted on steam? Like some of the mods?

It's hard to believe that they hadn't planned to put Black Mesa on Steam anyway. Why'd it have to go through Steam Greenlight? I also thought I had heard before that they got assistance from Valve on it too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

73. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 15, 2012, 23:52 Dev

What I'm confused about is why valve is letting someone else make money off their IP in black mesa? Or is something else going on?

Edit: Oh wait, is valve going to have this as an free download hosted on steam? Like some of the mods?

This comment was edited on Sep 16, 2012, 00:09.

72. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 14, 2012, 11:46 Verno

Well Max, Black Mesa is out  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

71. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 14, 2012, 00:06 Mordecai Walfish

SXO wrote on Sep 13, 2012, 09:00:
OK, this whole thread has turned into one giant discussion/debate about the Black Mesa mod, but there's another question that I think needs to be answered. I've rated every single game on Greenlight, and I'm talking about careful meticulous evaluation that has consumed my life for the past week both at home and at work. And I just want to know one thing, how the heck did McPixel get greenlighted? Who were these people that upvoted it en masse, and why?

Who? Reddit
Why? Gang Mentality/Fanboyism

It's also promoted on the pirate bay's front page with a blurb from the maker and had garnered alot of attention because of his stance & demeanor about people pirating his game.

70. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 13, 2012, 09:00 SXO

OK, this whole thread has turned into one giant discussion/debate about the Black Mesa mod, but there's another question that I think needs to be answered. I've rated every single game on Greenlight, and I'm talking about careful meticulous evaluation that has consumed my life for the past week both at home and at work. And I just want to know one thing, how the heck did McPixel get greenlighted? Who were these people that upvoted it en masse, and why?  

69. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 23:43 Jerykk

Interesting choices. Black Mesa and Project Zomboid were pretty predictable, as those two games have received tons of media attention. The other games, though, are far more obscure.  

68. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 17:20 Zoom

Crap where is Project Giana ? This had to be top vote from the start ???  

67. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 15:20 Dev

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 18:58:
Interesting...so if its ongoing, that means the longer a project is on there the more votes it collects and more likely it gets to be greenlit. Likewise, more games that are on there, more votes there are, will make it almost impossible for new projects to compete with ones that have been on there for years and have millions of votes no?
Not necessarily. That depends on valve. They've already said there's not going to be a magic number of votes and that its going to be adjusted as they see fit. So if a game is brought to their attention, they may well approve it even without it showing 100% if they think its worthy.

66. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 14:15 Beamer

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 14:09:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:35:
Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:29:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:15:
snipped

I ask again, what exactly is your complaint or point here? No one really cares how long it took as long as it comes out and doesn't suck. You made a mod faster, congratulations, that's wonderful but it doesn't really have any bearing on a totally unrelated project.

My point is and has always been targeted at people who have taken this holier than thou attitude towards those who have the audacity to be critical about anything, especially the 8 year development time.

Haha I don't know what universe you have been living in but Black Mesa has been a running joke for several years now on most forums, not to mention a winner of numerous vaporware awards from the press. Maybe if you go on the Black Mesa forums and troll it then people do that to you in which case you can't exactly say it wasn't deserved.

In two days I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy claiming it never would right up before release but eh whatever floats your boat!

Two of the more recent Blues BM topics:
1 2

Neither seems particularly positive. There's some neutral comments and a few cautiously optimistic ones.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

65. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 14:09 Verno

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:29:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:15:
snipped

I ask again, what exactly is your complaint or point here? No one really cares how long it took as long as it comes out and doesn't suck. You made a mod faster, congratulations, that's wonderful but it doesn't really have any bearing on a totally unrelated project.

My point is and has always been targeted at people who have taken this holier than thou attitude towards those who have the audacity to be critical about anything, especially the 8 year development time.

Haha I don't know what universe you have been living in but Black Mesa has been a running joke for several years now on most forums, not to mention a winner of numerous vaporware awards from the press. Maybe if you go on the Black Mesa forums and troll it then people do that to you in which case you can't exactly say it wasn't deserved.

In two days I sure as hell wouldn't want to be the guy claiming it never would right up before release but eh whatever floats your boat!

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

64. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 14:04 nin

Ok, now we're having a real conversation.

Yea for medication!!!!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

63. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 14:02 Mad Max RW

Ok, now we're having a real conversation. Most of the past criticisms have since been alleviated with the recent screenshots of the config options. The clunky movement, weird rolling effects, ironsights, overuse of neon aiming indicators on gun models (really a personal taste thing, but it's almost as annoying to me as Hollywood's teal and orange fetish), overdone bloom effects, and like I said before the voice acting for the soldiers is waaaaay off. Level design looks great. Creatures look great. Animations are fine. Music is awesome. Right now the only thing that truly bothers me about the mod is it's being released without an end. I hate that crap. I would love to see a better take on something where the original couldn't quite seal the deal. You will see an army of complainers acting surprised when it's released.  

62. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 14:01 Beamer

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:47:
I'm not trashing the mod itself, I've trashed the way they handled releasing it and how simpletons like you eat it up. I think the mod actually looks good and intend to check it out. And I have always said that when they finally had something to show. Even during the 2009 debacle. If the mod is as great as you always told everybody it will be, then that is great for everybody. But after such a long development releasing it without an end, you know deep down it's over.

No one is eating anything up. Sometime in the relatively near future we'll have a free game. Maybe it'll be good. Maybe not. But hey, free game! The chance to get something free is interesting enough to get some people to pay attention.

You're the one with some ridiculous concerns here. You're saying the time is the issue. So what? Most people stopped paying attention 7 years ago. It suddenly popping up is a nice bonus. It's like opening a peanut and finding 3 nuts instead of two.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

61. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:58 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:47:
...But after such a long development releasing it without an end, you know deep down it's over.

You might be right, but you might not be? Why so absolute???

60. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:55 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:48:
What exactly did I say? Links, please.

Max - I'm not linking to posts from another forum to continue it here!! I'll PM you on the Steam BM:S forum if you like? Teaching in an hour (for three hours), so it will be later on tonight?

Some of the design decisions look pretty bizarre.

Okay - see, that's constructive, or the beginnings of it. Why did you think so? (I'm honestly curious - don't do game design myself, just play. My software is all research/academic.)

Should I have sent my comments to you first before making them?

Why? You're free to have your own opinion. Stating your opinion as fact is a different matter though.

59. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:48 Mad Max RW

pnag wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:46:
You were saying it recently enough in the Steam forums though. Even as new media (screenshots, trailer) were released, you still were nothing but negative.

What exactly did I say? Links, please. Some of the design decisions look pretty bizarre and the soldiers' voice acting was horrible. Should I have sent my comments to you first before making them?

Why are you so concerned?

58. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:47 Mad Max RW

I'm not trashing the mod itself, I've trashed the way they handled releasing it and how simpletons like you eat it up. I think the mod actually looks good and intend to check it out. And I have always said that when they finally had something to show. Even during the 2009 debacle. If the mod is as great as you always told everybody it will be, then that is great for everybody. But after such a long development releasing it without an end, you know deep down it's over.  

57. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:46 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:37:
That would be as ridiculous as me calling you out to prove your child exists by posting her birth certificate. Will you? The only way to ultimately prove anything is by posting my name, address, resume, etc.. That's not gonna happen on a video game message board.

I'll give you (in a PM) my real name - you can check out my research work, what I do for a living. Hell, you can see my Facebook where I have pictures with my daughter if you like. I won't post her birth cert as that's her business, but me? I'm an open book if you like. Nothing to hide.

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:37:
I was wrong about the mod never coming out. Sure. Seven years ago. Put that in perspective. Seven years after my comment the mod releases and IT'S NOT DONE.

You were saying it recently enough in the Steam forums though. Even as new media (screenshots, trailer) were released, you still were nothing but negative.

56. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:41 pnag

My point is and has always been targeted at people who have taken this holier than thou attitude towards those who have the audacity to be critical about anything, especially the 8 year development time. It's like because the mod is free you don't have permission to have an opinion other than "BLACK MESAA BESTAST THING EVAR!! KILL THE HATERZ!" The point is all the more apparent when they finally release something (which is good) but it isn't finished after nearly a decade (not good). But you can't point that out. Oh no! You will suffer the wrath of pnag, defender of the defenseless!

Max - you've only been critical. That's all - nothing positive about it that I have ever seen you post. *That's* what I've had a problem with. Part of my job is to dole out constructive criticism, so I do recognise it when I see it. Yours, sadly, wasn't.

As I stated on the BM:S Steam forum, and will state again here - I have not yet played the mod. It could be terrible for all I know. I also know it's not finished - but it's just Xen, most people's least favourite bit of the original - but I will still wait to play it before trashing it?

"BLACK MESAA BESTAST THING EVAR!!" - How would I know? How would any of us know before Friday?

Wrath of pnag - I like it. You have a personal go at me, we ask you to prove what you say, but I'm the one with the 'wrath'. Riiiight...

55. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:38 reisub

Yeah but...no one cares how long it took because no one was really looking forward to it any more. So...no one cares what you think about it other than as a pointer to a possible mental breakdown.  

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo