Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

First Steam Greenlight Selections

Valve announces the first 10 titles being added to Steam thanks to the new Steam Greenlight program, saying they will be released independently in the months ahead. "The Steam community rallied around these titles and made them the clear choice for the first set of titles to launch out of Greenlight," said Anna Sweet of Valve. "Since launch, hundreds of titles have been submitted, with more coming in every day. We expect to be announcing more titles coming to Steam via Greenlight soon." Here are the ten honorees:

• Black Mesa
  • Cry of Fear
  • Dream
  • Heroes & Generals
  • Kenshi
  • McPixel
  • No More Room in Hell
  • Project Zomboid
  • Routine
  • Towns

View
74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

54. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:37 Mad Max RW

pnag wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:32:
Still no word on the things you worked on, Max, that you say we all played/saw? No? Still not man enough to admit you said it would "NEVER EVER" come out, and were wrong?

That would be as ridiculous as me calling you out to prove your child exists by posting her birth certificate. Will you? The only way to ultimately prove anything is by posting my name, address, resume, etc.. That's not gonna happen on a video game message board.

I was wrong about the mod never coming out. Sure. Seven years ago. Put that in perspective. Seven years after my comment the mod releases and IT'S NOT DONE.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:35 Mad Max RW

Verno wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:29:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:15:
snipped

I ask again, what exactly is your complaint or point here? No one really cares how long it took as long as it comes out and doesn't suck. You made a mod faster, congratulations, that's wonderful but it doesn't really have any bearing on a totally unrelated project.

My point is and has always been targeted at people who have taken this holier than thou attitude towards those who have the audacity to be critical about anything, especially the 8 year development time. It's like because the mod is free you don't have permission to have an opinion other than "BLACK MESAA BESTAST THING EVAR!! KILL THE HATERZ!" The point is all the more apparent when they finally release something (which is good) but it isn't finished after nearly a decade (not good). But you can't point that out. Oh no! You will suffer the wrath of pnag, defender of the defenseless!

52. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:32 pnag

If you actually have a child maybe you should take the extra time wasted defending Black Mesa and apply it to raising him or her.

Well, there are two parents present, luckily. And thankfully, my daughter does sleep.

And if anyone else reading this thinks that's pathetic - Max's original quote, before he edited it -

How about this: I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if your child didn't exist. You made it up after all your old arguments on the Steam forum were so completely dismantled, forcing you to concede to being a nutcase to avoid a ban.

What a guy. I mean, that's classy.

Still no word on the things you worked on, Max, that you say we all played/saw? No? Still not man enough to admit you said it would "NEVER EVER" come out, and were wrong?

51. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:30 Beamer

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:28:
nin wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:25:
If you actually have a child maybe you should take the extra time wasted defending Black Mesa and apply it to raising him or her.

Well by that line of thinking, shouldn't you STFU and go work on a mod instead of posting here?

I finished several months ago. My new project is making pnag cry.

The amazing thing is that you think we give a shit about this particular mod.
We don't. We just think your overblown hysterics make no sense and are in no way proportionate to the size of your complaint.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

50. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:29 Verno

snipped

I ask again, what exactly is your complaint or point here? No one really cares how long it took as long as it comes out and doesn't suck. You made a mod faster, congratulations, that's wonderful but it doesn't really have any bearing on a totally unrelated project.

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

49. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:28 Mad Max RW

nin wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:25:

Well by that line of thinking, shouldn't you STFU and go work on a mod instead of posting here?

I finished several months ago. It was just a hobby, after all. My new one is making pnag cry.

48. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:25 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

47. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:15 Mad Max RW

pnag wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 13:03:
sob

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 13:24.

46. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 13:03 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:36:
Nice theory you have there. I made the mod from 2010-2011 for myself first because after 10 years of talk nobody else would do it. Said that multiple times and only shared it with a handful of friends at the beginning.

So what? Still doesn't mean you don't have a problem with the 'hype' you said the team themselves generated?

I've been critical of Black Mesa since LONG before then. Previously I hadn't been part of a mod team since the Quake 1 days. Between those times I was too busy doing contract work for things I can guarantee you have played/watched.

Yeah? Like what? Put your money where your mouth is. *Amaze* us with your incredible work, if it's true?

pnag, I'm surprised you didn't work another line about your child into that reply. Bravo.

Possibly the cheapest shot I've ever had at me, as it's actually at my FOUR MONTH OLD.

To put it in context for others, one of the voice actors from the mod ON A DIFFERENT FORUM mentioned the delays on the mod were because of personal things, like final exams, babies being born etc. I mentioned that I was involved in a lot of projects outside of my daily work, and since my child was born, I've had to give them all up, so I have some small understanding of what the team must have gone through. Max now throws it in my face. You, sir, are a total asshole. How dare you.

What was the full context of my quote from 2005, btw? I'm curious. Link to the original post, please. Looks like I hit the nail on the head. Who would have guessed (beside myself) seven years later the mod would still not be finished.

Sorry - you can't squirm out of this one.

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 19, 2005:
u]
Over-ambitious mod teams that will NEVER EVER EVER be released... Case in point, Black Mesa: Source. There's a better chance of seeing Half Life 6 before this sorry heap.

NEVER EVER EVER? How's Friday for you? Context be damned - you look like a clown.

And I'll ask this civilly at least - don't ever mention my child again.

45. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 12:51 Verno

It's going to be released in 2 days, saw entries for some of the files on the CDN earlier even. Sure, it took longer than anyone imagined but it's a free modification made in spare time, I'm not sure what exactly your point or complaint is here.  

Playing: Dark Souls 2
Watching: Korengal, Legends, Intruders

44. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 12:36 Mad Max RW

Nice theory you have there. I made the mod from 2010-2011 for myself first because after 10 years of talk nobody else would do it. Said that multiple times and only shared it with a handful of friends at the beginning. I've been critical of Black Mesa since LONG before then. Previously I hadn't been part of a mod team since the Quake 1 days. Between those times I was too busy doing contract work for things I can guarantee you have played/watched.

pnag, I'm surprised you didn't work another line about your child into that reply. Bravo.

What was the full context of my quote from 2005, btw? I'm curious. Link to the original post, please. Looks like I hit the nail on the head. Who would have guessed (beside myself) seven years later the mod would still not be finished.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 12:46.

43. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 11:59 pnag

u]
Over-ambitious mod teams that will NEVER EVER EVER be released. Half Life 2, and every single "next big thing" FPS is plagued with them. Case in point, Black Mesa: Source. There's a better chance of seeing Half Life 6 before this sorry heap. The farce that is BM:S is cleverly hidden behind a website I guarantee has had more hours of work put into it than the actual mod. There's a handful of decent screenshots. But these guys bit off way more than they can chew. I almost feel sick at how much the HL community gushes over it. It's like watching people about to get executed and they have no idea what's happening.

Sad, isn't it? He did a really nice job on the AvP mod, but I guess the attention he garnered wasn't enough. He's had a vendetta against the Black Mesa team for a loooong time.

If you disagreed with him, you were attacking him. Sad.

42. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 07:48 nin

Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:17:
Prez wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:02:
It seems it can never be said enough - DON'T FEED THE TROLLS.

He's not really a troll... He's just upset he was wrong.

u]
Over-ambitious mod teams that will NEVER EVER EVER be released. Half Life 2, and every single "next big thing" FPS is plagued with them. Case in point, Black Mesa: Source. There's a better chance of seeing Half Life 6 before this sorry heap. The farce that is BM:S is cleverly hidden behind a website I guarantee has had more hours of work put into it than the actual mod. There's a handful of decent screenshots. But these guys bit off way more than they can chew. I almost feel sick at how much the HL community gushes over it. It's like watching people about to get executed and they have no idea what's happening.

Also a Pitz-esque level of crazy.

Wow, he does sound a bit like Assley...

41. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 04:25 Mordecai Walfish

Voted for No More Room In Hell & glad it made the cut. I was also hoping for that secret of mana clone.. lol guess i'll just have to look it up.  

40. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 00:22 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:17:

u]

Holy crap. He's had this vendetta for... 7 years! 7 years!

In a prior thread he said his issue was that it was in development so long. But it wasn't back when he first went on a borderline insane rant!
He's also mentioned making his own mods, and that second to last line makes it seem like we know the reason he was so angry.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

39. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 00:21 jacobvandy

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 18:58:
Interesting...so if its ongoing, that means the longer a project is on there the more votes it collects and more likely it gets to be greenlit. Likewise, more games that are on there, more votes there are, will make it almost impossible for new projects to compete with ones that have been on there for years and have millions of votes no?

Uh, I think so. But they're not "competing" in the sense that only the most popular projects on there at any one time are considered. There is a threshold of positive votes (basically a number of people saying they would be interested in BUYING the game on Steam) represented by a progress bar on each games' page, and upon reaching that figure, Valve takes a closer look and decides whether or not to green-light it. Obviously, they get the final say on everything.

If a game gets millions of votes, you can bet they're looking at it and making a decision one way or another. Or the threshold may not even be that high. On the flip side, if the game has been in the system for years (who knows if they'll even keep doing this that long, it's an experiment) and failed to get enough votes, then it pretty much sucks and should never make it. They might even have a time limit on there to deal with those cases cluttering things up, I dunno. There's also a report function for people to flag projects that aren't serious, are inappropriate, etc.

They've stated over and over that there are constant changes being made to this system based on feedback from the community of voters and those developers submitting their games.

38. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 00:17 Sepharo

u]

Also a Pitz-esque level of crazy.

37. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 00:05 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 16:52:
Can we just ban anyone using the terms "apologists" or "white knighting?"

Surefire signs of a lack of intelligence. For the contrast, we can also throw those using "haters" in. You all sound like Limp Bizkit fans. Or Juggalos.

Hehe, internet rants now qualify as "vindication."

I think Beamers level of buthurtedness is reaching 9000. lol.

36. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 12, 2012, 00:02 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: First Steam Greenlight Selections Sep 11, 2012, 22:40 nin

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:26:
Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:08:
It reminds me of the DNF fanboys...

Those existed?!

Poor dognose...

74 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >