Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Path of Exile Free Weekend

This weekend will be another public test for Path of Exile, the upcoming indie action/RPG, as players will be offered access to the beta beginning September 14th. You can find all the details in this FAQ, and here's a bit:

So far, the much-anticipated game has raised over USD$1,200,000 in a Kickstarter-like campaign from fans buying access to the closed beta, virtual pets and pre-purchased game currency. This weekend is the opportunity for anyone to try to game for free, without having to buy a supporter pack.

The Path of Exile Beta servers will open for public access at 5pm PDT on Friday, September 14. Public access will end at 11:59pm PDT Sunday night, September 16. A full FAQ about the public weekend is available at www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/.

When released, the game will be free to play, but will not feature ‘pay-to-win’. A previous public weekend in July attracted 55,000 players.

The latest patch adds new skills such as Arctic Breath and Ghost Reaver, additional quests, greatly improved minion functionality and a new look for item hovers.

A host of unique items have been added, including several designed by Brother Laz, author of the popular Diablo 2 mod Median XL. Over 90 fans who have purchased the USD$1000 ‘Diamond Supporter’ pack also get to design unique items for the game.

While the game is currently in a Closed Beta, fans who pre-purchase at least USD$10 of credit for the game’s ‘ethical microtransactions’ receive a beta key.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Oct 30, 2012, 08:28 Mr. Tact

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:34:
Yeah the problem with F2P games is they are free for a reason (that being they aren't good enough to get people to buy them). I've tried a lot of them anyways (hey it's free and my time is worthless) and at least PoE manages to be really unobtrusive about it. F2P games love to bombard you with ads and shiny buttons urging you to spend money.
I haven't played any F2P games, not because they were F2P but simply because none have grabbed my attention -- that combined with the fact I spend less time gaming these days has been enough to exclude them. However, I have to say this issue does put caution in my mind against any of them.

Edit: Sorry for being a dead topic back to life, things are a bit slow here at work due in part to the East coast being shutdown...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 19:08 Prez

It's really not enough for me for a F2P game to not be pay to win for it to be worth my time. Tribes Ascend by most accounts is not pay to win but I still disliked it. It's generally the reliance on multiplayer interaction with strangers of varying maturity levels and the extremely jarring inclusion of real-world systems like advertising, cash shops, and auction houses.

To be clear I am not bashing PoE, which from screenshots, videos, and previews looks to be well-made and sure to be entertaining. I'm not really even bashing the F2P model; rather, I'm illustrating why I personally do not like the model and am not usually willing to even try most games using the model. Obviously a lot of people like it as it has really caught on.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:40 Wowbagger_TIP

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:34:
I was being facetious - the design requirements of the F2P model obviously preclude making the game singleplayer-friendly. My statement was supposed to be the equivalent of "I'll embrace the F2P model when hell freezes over".

Yeah the problem with F2P games is they are free for a reason (that being they aren't good enough to get people to buy them). I've tried a lot of them anyways (hey it's free and my time is worthless) and at least PoE manages to be really unobtrusive about it. F2P games love to bombard you with ads and shiny buttons urging you to spend money. But hey, this is as people keep stating still a beta so maybe they just haven't gotten to that yet.

Really the only F2P I've tried which can stand up to boxed games is Blacklight, but they can get a little overzealous on the P2Win front at times.

I think T:A does a good job of being F2P without being P2W, and it's a fun game too. If anything, PoE looks to be steering even farther away from P2W than Tribes. TF2 seems to do a pretty good job of not being P2W too. I think F2P can be done well as long as the devs are realistic about it and plan from the start to avoid any P2W elements.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

34. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:36 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 17:00:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:48:
Methinks many people fail to understand the point of a closed beta. Baffling. Huh

Nice canned response.

I know full well the point of a closed beta, as I have been a part of many in the past, and am currently participating in several, including PoE. Generally one can be pretty sure that by the time a game enters beta the core game mechanics are locked in with little chance of changing. The problem I have with PoE, as well as TL, is that the "new" features they have added are nothing but fluff. I do like PoE's passive "skill" web, I do like their ability gem system, and I like what they're doing with their economy. However, on that note, I thought the abilities were trite and uninteresting, which makes the combat boring and shallow. These are core game mechanics that Grinding Gear has decided they want their game to be centered on, they will not change, and in that regard I can be reasonably certain that the game will be just as boring an uninteresting post-launch as it is right now. That's perfectly fine, Grinding Gear decided they wanted to make a Diablo 2 clone, and that's what they did. More power to them. I also sincerely hope they are successful as a new developer. I just don't care to be a part of it.

Exactly which new mechanics or abilities were trite and boring? Totems? Traps? New passive keystones? Maps? You're being so vague that I have no idea what you even have a problem with.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

33. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:34 PHJF

I was being facetious - the design requirements of the F2P model obviously preclude making the game singleplayer-friendly. My statement was supposed to be the equivalent of "I'll embrace the F2P model when hell freezes over".

Yeah the problem with F2P games is they are free for a reason (that being they aren't good enough to get people to buy them). I've tried a lot of them anyways (hey it's free and my time is worthless) and at least PoE manages to be really unobtrusive about it. F2P games love to bombard you with ads and shiny buttons urging you to spend money. But hey, this is as people keep stating still a beta so maybe they just haven't gotten to that yet.

Really the only F2P I've tried which can stand up to boxed games is Blacklight, but they can get a little overzealous on the P2Win front at times.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

32. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 17:00 eunichron

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 00:48:
Methinks many people fail to understand the point of a closed beta. Baffling. Huh

Nice canned response.

I know full well the point of a closed beta, as I have been a part of many in the past, and am currently participating in several, including PoE. Generally one can be pretty sure that by the time a game enters beta the core game mechanics are locked in with little chance of changing. The problem I have with PoE, as well as TL, is that the "new" features they have added are nothing but fluff. I do like PoE's passive "skill" web, I do like their ability gem system, and I like what they're doing with their economy. However, on that note, I thought the abilities were trite and uninteresting, which makes the combat boring and shallow. These are core game mechanics that Grinding Gear has decided they want their game to be centered on, they will not change, and in that regard I can be reasonably certain that the game will be just as boring an uninteresting post-launch as it is right now. That's perfectly fine, Grinding Gear decided they wanted to make a Diablo 2 clone, and that's what they did. More power to them. I also sincerely hope they are successful as a new developer. I just don't care to be a part of it.

31. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 15:57 Prez

PHJF wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 12:09:
Until someone figures out how to make a F2P singleplayer game where I am not being pitched to, sold to, or forced to grind for shit so I get frustrated and break out the wallet I am going to continue to despise F2P games. That's just me though - it's a personal pet peeve.

F2P is for online, service-type games where players are going to keep coming back and the developers hope to (eventually) snag some money from them. F2P and singleplayer would be the dumbest idea ever outside of some endlessly replayable game like Civilization or Sim City.

That's not to say I won't try Path of Exile; I just have zero expectations that I will play it for any length of time because of the myriad annoyances and aggravations inherent to the F2P model. Who knows - maybe this one will be different.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

30. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 13:57 Axis

I'm fine with haters not playing it if they don't like the game. The community is very strong, devs amazingly receptive, suggestions usually on par with what I think makes a good arpg -- and I'd prefer it stay that way.

Yours truly,

Axis

29. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 12:09 PHJF

Until someone figures out how to make a F2P singleplayer game where I am not being pitched to, sold to, or forced to grind for shit so I get frustrated and break out the wallet I am going to continue to despise F2P games. That's just me though - it's a personal pet peeve.

F2P is for online, service-type games where players are going to keep coming back and the developers hope to (eventually) snag some money from them. F2P and singleplayer would be the dumbest idea ever outside of some endlessly replayable game like Civilization or Sim City.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

28. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 08:50 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 04:19:
...besides the cash shop button.

And that's enough for me to despise it. I have tried many F2P games, and in every single one the items, loot, drops, upgrades, unlocks, etc. feel arbitrarily limited to encourage use of the cash shop. Maybe it's painting with too broad a brush, but generally if a game has a cash shop or auction house I'm not going to bother with it. I have hated every single game that I have played that has one, in all different genres (even the supposedly good ones like Tribes). I absolutely loathe the intrusion of such things as cash shops and auction houses in my game world. They weaken and devalue every game they are included in for me, often to the point of ruining it completely. Until someone figures out how to make a F2P singleplayer game where I am not being pitched to, sold to, or forced to grind for shit so I get frustrated and break out the wallet I am going to continue to despise F2P games. That's just me though - it's a personal pet peeve.
From what we've heard so far, the only things they are planning to sell in the cash shop are stash pages, character slots (you get 25 already though), and cosmetic items like dyes, taunts, etc. Nothing at all to do with drop rates of anything or actual useable items. They've been pretty adamant about that all along. You get the game free, they have to have some way to make a few bucks off of it. I don't begrudge them that, as long as they don't let it impact the fun of the game, which this doesn't do at all IMO.

27. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 04:19 Prez

...besides the cash shop button.

And that's enough for me to despise it. I have tried many F2P games, and in every single one the items, loot, drops, upgrades, unlocks, etc. feel arbitrarily limited to encourage use of the cash shop. Maybe it's painting with too broad a brush, but generally if a game has a cash shop or auction house I'm not going to bother with it. I have hated every single game that I have played that has one, in all different genres (even the supposedly good ones like Tribes). I absolutely loathe the intrusion of such things as cash shops and auction houses in my game world. They weaken and devalue every game they are included in for me, often to the point of ruining it completely. Until someone figures out how to make a F2P singleplayer game where I am not being pitched to, sold to, or forced to grind for shit so I get frustrated and break out the wallet I am going to continue to despise F2P games. That's just me though - it's a personal pet peeve.

This comment was edited on Sep 12, 2012, 06:08.

- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 12, 2012, 00:48 Wowbagger_TIP

eunichron wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:51:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:18:
WyldKat wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:43:
PoE bored the crap out of me after awhile. All the classes played more or less the same. The animations were bad, especially kill/death animations (no physics, just the same canned death anims). The trading system, while I thought I liked it at first, quickly became frustrating. The story was forgettable too but mostly it was the combat that turned me off. Genderlocked characters were another turn off, along with bad (i.e. no) customization. No different hairs, armor dyes, nothing.

Let me guess. You are an under 30 gamer.

I'm a 30 year old gamer and I think the game is boring as shit.

I don't want Diablo 2.5, I had enough of Diablo 10 years ago. I want something new. Diablo 3 wasn't it either, it was a good effort, it just missed the mark (by a wide margin). At this point my only hope for ARPGs is Grim Dawn. At least those guys have Titan Quest under their belt, which is easily the best post-Diablo 2 ARPG.

25. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 22:52 xXBatmanXx

eunichron wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 22:51:
PoE bored the crap out of me after awhile. All the classes played more or less the same. The animations were bad, especially kill/death animations (no physics, just the same canned death anims). The trading system, while I thought I liked it at first, quickly became frustrating. The story was forgettable too but mostly it was the combat that turned me off. Genderlocked characters were another turn off, along with bad (i.e. no) customization. No different hairs, armor dyes, nothing.

I don't want Diablo 2.5, I had enough of Diablo 10 years ago. I want something new. Diablo 3 wasn't it either, it was a good effort, it just missed the mark (by a wide margin). At this point my only hope for ARPGs is Grim Dawn. At least those guys have Titan Quest under their belt, which is easily the best post-Diablo 2 ARPG.

Yea I put in money for Grim Dawn, very excited about that one. I still play TQ.

My comments were directed that the bedazzle the guy wants - go play SIMS.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

24. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 22:51 eunichron

23. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 22:18 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.

22. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 21:55 xXBatmanXx

I like Carcifier's post. I actually died 2-3 times right away. Took me a whlie to figure some things out - but then again, I suck at most of these games, but found it very challenging. Played recently and plan on going back soon.

Graphics? Who cares. Looks dated? Good. Means they care more about the content than the sparkles.

21. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 18:09 Wowbagger_TIP

When did you play?? They really haven't even added most of the story elements yet. That's not what the beta is about. Were you expecting a finished game? They've had less than half of the content available, and hardly any of the story elements. More of that will be released when the open beta starts.

Granted the animations aren't the best, but they've improved those lately as well. Cosmetic improvements for characters will be coming later as micro-trans purchases. Seriously, the game hasn't even hit open beta yet, but the last couple of patches have included a ton of major improvements to all parts of the game.

20. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 17:43 WyldKat

19. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 17:12 dj LiTh

If there's another beta key floatin around, "then I would kill for you a fine white lamb, or, failing that, if I couldn't get a good one at a decent price, then six pigeons."

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 17:29.

18. Re: Path of Exile Free Weekend Sep 11, 2012, 17:03 Wowbagger_TIP

Prez wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 16:10:
I love ARPG's but I despise F2P games. What do I do now??

I still don't understand the automatic opposition to F2P games. As long as they're done right, they can be very good. It's really a case-by-case thing. PoE and Tribes:Ascend are both pretty good examples of it done right. I suppose TF2 is an example now as well. I get to try for free, and I have no problem coughing up some cash for various non-P2W things to support the devs. If they make a good game, they deserve it.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo