Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

The Secret World Lead Laid Off

Develop has word that The Secret World lead designer Martin Bruusgaard has been laid off by Funcom along with other developers on the MMORPG. Here's word:

Revealing the news on Twitter, Martin Bruusgaard said he was no longer with the developer, and had been put on forced leave along with most of the Oslo office.

He suggested that the studio’s Norway headquarters had been hit much harder than other offices as it was expensive to run, and suggested that it was “cheaper to hire someone abroad”.

“Unfortunately, I'm not with Funcom anymore,” said Bruusgaard.

“Got put on forced leave along with most of our Oslo Office, a week ago.”

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Dark Souls PC Port Issues Sep 12, 2012, 03:41 D_K_night

jdwohlever wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:01:
Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall?
MMO's are DYING.
Years ago, an MMO would last at least 5 years before it became unprofitable, but now it seems they fail with 6 months.

Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one. And to be honest, that is the main reason I don't dip into the MMO genre anymore. I don't want to spend months or years developing a character, organizing a guild, learning the ins and outs of the land and various locations, only to get shut-down once I start to become a real master at the game.

I have dedicated a lot of free time a couple of MMO's that went belly-up over the years and I really do see a trend that is speeding up. Used to be, the only online franchises I would stay away from was anything from EA, as EA has never kept a successful online experience for more than a couple years (MotorCity Online, that space one, etc) but now its seems everyone but WoW has failed at the MMO model.

Maybe if there was a re-birth of what an MMO could be, instead of always following the same cookie cutter plot, then they might have a chance.
Running through a boring town 5 times to deliver a boring message to someone about something you don't care about isn't going to hold a person's interest for long.
Why is WoW the only succesful MMO left?
Because the colorful, engaging world makes people want to be there. If you took away WoW's colorful settings and variety of locations and instances and replaced them with realistic dull environments, WoW be gone within 6 months.
You have to make people WANT to escape to your world.
PvP can't hold a person if they don't care what they are fighting for. If they made stories that people actually cared about and didn't just give you a mission that really sounds more like your a lacky fetching cookies and coffee then maybe they could get somewhere.
Think about it, if your game plot/story is so boring that people don't want to read the back story or even listen to an NPC tell you the story, then what is supposed to hold the players to your game?
They always proclaim their endgame PvP like it's some magical place you get to after sloughing through the PvE story.
I got news for you, a lot of people, myself included, play an MMO for the PvE or story first. If your story or PvE is bad then just focusing on PvP isn't going to keep players long unless your willing to nerf and buff everything they demand, which changes weekly.
Build a great enough world, with an exciting and engaging story that keeps players interested and actually caring whether there faction is winning the war. Make winning the war a real reason people would want to fight. Either remove pointless "kill ten sheep" grinding, or turn it into something more engaging that people would do anyway.
Too many rules, restrictions and heartless plot points take away not only from the players sense of purpose, but make the player feel like they are seen as non-intelligent pawns just going through the same motions in a pointless fetch quest.
If you can't make the individual feel special, or that he/she matters in the grand scheme of things, then your not going to fool many people for very long.

Sounds like you want an MMO which is more of a Sandbox game. well guess what, "they" already tried to do that. Darkfall is one of them, but it's so horribly niche that nobody plays it. As for Darkfall's storyline...no idea. But then nobody talks about it, so I'll probably take a guess in saying that it's no better, but no worse, than anyone else's.

Star Wars tried to be engaging with a good story. How do you make an engaging story which isn't driven on rails? That seems to be something that you have a big problem with - a story which is on rails, filled with plot twists that you don't agree with.

Almost sounds like, the only type of game that could possibly exist which'll please you, is one which is completely driven by the players. The NPC...is the player. Problem is, who's gonna want to be the maiden in distress, "give quests" to people to kill this boss, then reward said players when boss is dead? Or more to the point, what player is gonna want to reprise that role many hundreds, if not thousands of times over and over?

That's a crude example, but you could apply this towards any type of "storyline" that's driven and written by the players in a sandbox game(which is sounding like what you actually want).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. I dont know why lastpass autofills this box Sep 12, 2012, 01:37 bfg9000

So much rancour. Why so mad?
I blame the notorious "mmo hoppers". We all know them, they are the ones that tell you every 2 months about the new MMO they are playing and how you should try it and its so much better than the previous one.
No really this one is the real deal and the updates are so good and etcera.
These people are inflating the communities interest in these games, which we all agree are 95% identical. Heaps of preorders, big bump in subscribers after launch, loads of hype and then what?
Apathy sets in. It dawns on them that they have been fooled again. Oh sure there is some moaning about how the game is broken, balance issues, gold farmers, auction house issues or blaming the it on a "poor community". Smoke and mirrors, you got bored with it but don't want to admit you wasted so much money on it so you make it their fault. You were lied to but its all good because Guild Wars 2 is out soon and this time it will be different!
There really should be a documentary made about this madness (mass hysteria?) along the lines of Indie Game the movie, but naturally more depressing.

32. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 22:11 Steele Johnson

Hopefully the executives finally realize that they suck at making mmos.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 11, 2012, 19:34 Rigs

Hmm, it seems to me that there's a little game of two-face going on with the MMO gaming public, it seems that even they don't know what they want! I mean, how many times have we heard we want a game with a rich backstory, nothing that looks like a grindfest with no reward, etc...and then when a game like that comes out, they complain about the fact that's there's too much story and not enough action. Huh? When I watch these 'Let's Play' videos on Youtube (which are getting a little crazy...guys only one or two for the same game, k? thanks...and freakin' make sure you get a decent freakin' mic and NO CHEWING! Damn mouth-breathers... ), they jump right through everything that makes the game worth playing. Now I'm not saying everyone does that but it seems like when a new MMO comes out, everyone rushes to see the endgame. WTF? I feel like a 90-year-old at a Black Friday Wal-Mart sales rush! I don't understand. You get an MMO for what? The grind? No. The loot? Well, possibly some of you do, I don't. The story? Of course. It just seems like a case of MMO's giving what you say you want and then you complain that you're not getting what you want... Rolleyes

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'

30. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 18:43 Glykon

I still just wish to Funcom sudden death. I was extremely surprised they found idiots to invest in them after AoC.

Good GW2 is still fun for now. And yes, I still play Eq1-2, WoT LoL, Firefall. 9Dragons (!), C9, Perpetuum, EVE and many others.

I play ONLY MMOs, cant find any reason why to play sp games in this era...even if they are Skyrim or others (I did try, played like 15-20 levels and got bored totally )

29. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 18:28 Asmo

Umm, not to be the one guy swimming against the flow around here, but TSW is actually quite fun (imo) although it is suffering from a lack of end game content atm.

The reason why it's suffering is a mass exodus to Guild Wars 2, which has the added bonus of no monthly sub.

I'm a member of TOG (www.theoldergamers.com) and we went from having a fairly thriving TSW presence (a guild for each faction, 100+ players) to having mebbe 10 actives, or less, after GW2 went live.

And while I don't think MMO's are dying, we are in a period of time where more games are coming out than any one person could ever hope to play. Currently I'm splitting time between:

Firefall beta
Planetside 2 beta
MWO Beta
World of Tanks
GW2
TSW
Random assorted other MMOs which I can still access, Lotro, DDO, EQ2
Annnnnnd more steam games than I can poke a stick at

And I haven't even touched the latest crop of single player stuff (Darksiders, Sleeping Dogs etc) which I'm interested in but have zero time to play.

Back in "the day" (that day being 2000-2004ish), we'd get one major MMO release every couple of years, so we had plenty of time to dedicate to playing one game. Now we have multiple major releases in the space of 4 months...

28. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 18:02 Stanly Manly

MMO's from 10 years ago?

Everquest
Anarchy Online
Eve? Might be 9 years?
Asheron's Call
Ultima Online
Runescape
Maplestory
Lineage is still going in Asia

Anyway, the point is, those MMO's made 10 years ago were made to be games. Most MMO's today are made to be cash grabs that try to copy some other successful MMO. Most have failed miserably due to this attitude.

I'll still gladly plop down my cash for a subscription to a good MMO if one is made.

27. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 17:51 SimplyMonk

jdwohlever wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 17:01:
Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one.

Everquest. In fact they have a new expansion coming out soon.
Oh. Anarchy Online too. Which was released by Funcom.

Actually, there are a lot of 10 year old MMOs out there. Just because you don't pull down WoW numbers doesn't mean you can't be successful and afford to keep a few servers powered on.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/show/all/sCol/estimatedRelease/sOrder/desc

Haha. Apparently WWII Online is even still alive. Small wonders.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 18:21.

26. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 17:43 Julio

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 10:47:
What about the monthly updates?

This month's update is that there is no update

25. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 17:01 jdwohlever

Am I the only one who sees the writing on the wall?
MMO's are DYING.
Years ago, an MMO would last at least 5 years before it became unprofitable, but now it seems they fail with 6 months.

Name any MMO's that were around 10 years ago that are still around today, I can think of only one. And to be honest, that is the main reason I don't dip into the MMO genre anymore. I don't want to spend months or years developing a character, organizing a guild, learning the ins and outs of the land and various locations, only to get shut-down once I start to become a real master at the game.

I have dedicated a lot of free time a couple of MMO's that went belly-up over the years and I really do see a trend that is speeding up. Used to be, the only online franchises I would stay away from was anything from EA, as EA has never kept a successful online experience for more than a couple years (MotorCity Online, that space one, etc) but now its seems everyone but WoW has failed at the MMO model.

Maybe if there was a re-birth of what an MMO could be, instead of always following the same cookie cutter plot, then they might have a chance.
Running through a boring town 5 times to deliver a boring message to someone about something you don't care about isn't going to hold a person's interest for long.
Why is WoW the only succesful MMO left?
Because the colorful, engaging world makes people want to be there. If you took away WoW's colorful settings and variety of locations and instances and replaced them with realistic dull environments, WoW be gone within 6 months.
You have to make people WANT to escape to your world.
PvP can't hold a person if they don't care what they are fighting for. If they made stories that people actually cared about and didn't just give you a mission that really sounds more like your a lacky fetching cookies and coffee then maybe they could get somewhere.
Think about it, if your game plot/story is so boring that people don't want to read the back story or even listen to an NPC tell you the story, then what is supposed to hold the players to your game?
They always proclaim their endgame PvP like it's some magical place you get to after sloughing through the PvE story.
I got news for you, a lot of people, myself included, play an MMO for the PvE or story first. If your story or PvE is bad then just focusing on PvP isn't going to keep players long unless your willing to nerf and buff everything they demand, which changes weekly.
Build a great enough world, with an exciting and engaging story that keeps players interested and actually caring whether there faction is winning the war. Make winning the war a real reason people would want to fight. Either remove pointless "kill ten sheep" grinding, or turn it into something more engaging that people would do anyway.
Too many rules, restrictions and heartless plot points take away not only from the players sense of purpose, but make the player feel like they are seen as non-intelligent pawns just going through the same motions in a pointless fetch quest.
If you can't make the individual feel special, or that he/she matters in the grand scheme of things, then your not going to fool many people for very long.

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 17:18.

Xbox Live Ambassador (RET)
Founder of PERS0NA, a non-profit scientific paranormal investigation society
"American by Birth, Gamer by the Grace of God"

24. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 16:15 Beamer

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 16:09:
Hellbinder wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:01:
this is completely their own fault. You don't advertize a game as "the most amazing FTP game ever made" and how its going to "take over and revolutionize the FTP space" as i saw in many an early interview. Then crap all over your fan base by changing it to a full price game, with a monthly fee and a cash shop and expect to stay in business.

This is literally the DUMBEST thing i have ever seen a game company do to themselves. Then they fire the developers instead of the idiotic management that i am sure forced them to change the game from free to full subscription.

If they had stayed the course and continued to play up the hooplah about revolutionizing the FTP space i have no doubt the game would be doling very well and they would be making money hand over fist via the cash shop, or in having special pay only episodes/zones. similar to the way D&D does theirs. 5 bucks for 48 hour pass and you can buy them and give them to your friends so they can play with you etc..

but no... Funcom is filled with morons. (except on the tiny 10 man AO team that is still going strong)

I'm 99% you were banned from this site...how did you get unbanned?

He went from bending to binding.
Although I think "Hellbinder" was a line of Lovecraft themed Trapper Keepers in the mid 80s.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

23. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 16:09 Rattlehead

this is completely their own fault. You don't advertize a game as "the most amazing FTP game ever made" and how its going to "take over and revolutionize the FTP space" as i saw in many an early interview. Then crap all over your fan base by changing it to a full price game, with a monthly fee and a cash shop and expect to stay in business.

This is literally the DUMBEST thing i have ever seen a game company do to themselves. Then they fire the developers instead of the idiotic management that i am sure forced them to change the game from free to full subscription.

If they had stayed the course and continued to play up the hooplah about revolutionizing the FTP space i have no doubt the game would be doling very well and they would be making money hand over fist via the cash shop, or in having special pay only episodes/zones. similar to the way D&D does theirs. 5 bucks for 48 hour pass and you can buy them and give them to your friends so they can play with you etc..

but no... Funcom is filled with morons. (except on the tiny 10 man AO team that is still going strong)

I'm 99% you were banned from this site...how did you get unbanned?

22. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 16:01 Turglar

My favorite FTP game is Cute FTP.  

21. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 15:36 space captain

If they had stayed the course

FUCKING AWESOME G.W. BUSH WISDOM!!!

Go forth, and kill!

20. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 14:46 Kobalt

Only thing I'm confused by this is, how could the people at funcom seriously think they could release a unfinished buggy piece of shit 3 times in a row? Hope the company dies personally.  

19. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 13:52 grudgebearer

Wow, is this going to be the quickest failure of an MMO to date? I mean, when you terminate your lead designer, how much longer do you leave the game running?  

'I'm not going to walk in through the front door - or the side door - and let you do the talking, just like that. You think I got this old not knowing how to stay alive?'
- Harlon Nayl

18. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 13:15 nin

PropheT wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:29:

Post a link, because that didn't happen anywhere but in your head.

Jesus told him.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 12:29 PropheT

Post a link, because that didn't happen anywhere but in your head.

16. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 12:26 Slashman

Trying to make MMOs in the traditional vein of WoW and Everquest will no longer work!!

How hard is that for people to understand? You can't do things like the old days anymore. People aren't going to pay for pointless grindfests and mediocre combat systems just because you try to slap a little more deep backstory onto them.

Everyone who would pay for that kind of thing is already paying for it and they really don't want to leave it for more of the same. Even despite them saying so.

15. Re: The Secret World Lead Laid Off Sep 11, 2012, 12:23 Creston

From the RPS WOT I THINK article, it seems like a fun game. But anything with a $15 subscription automatically gets ignored by me, so eh. Sad they built a fairly unqiue MMO and it's obviously just dying out of the gate, but maybe, just MAYBE publishers will start to realize that the MMO market is way way WAY over-saturated, and finally focus on something else.

Seriously publisher. None of you is going to make WoW level money. It's just not happening. Give up already.

Creston

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo