Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Chris Roberts Game Teasing

Details on the Chris Roberts game tease discovered earlier can be found by entering the password "42" as a login to the Roberts Space Industries Website (thanks VG247/PCGamesN) as well as signups for accounts. Here's word:

Welcome!

If youíve made it here, you probably know who I am. Maybe you have heard of Wing Commander and its sequels, or perhaps Strike Commander, Privateer or Freelancer.

If not, youíre still welcome!

I grew up making video games. I sold my first game at the age of 13 and created Wing Commander when I was 21. But 10 years ago, at the height of my career I took a break. Not because I stopped loving or playing games but because I had become frustrated with the limits of the technology at the time to realize my vision.

I decided to pursue my desire to create detailed worlds and tell sophisticated stories in film.

I always said the moment I became interested in making games again was when I was going to come back.

With the power of todayís computers and the reach of the internet I finally feel I have the tools to build the connected experience that I always dreamed of. A world that would be more satisfying and richer than any film I could work on.

With films you tell stories but with games you create worlds.

If youíve played my games, youíll know thatís what I love to do.

Iím here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

I hope youíll be as excited by it as I am.

My new endeavor is still in its early stages but I invite you to take the journey with me.

If you register below youíll become an insider that will not only give you early access to the gameís website and forums, but you will also get the opportunity for rewards and privileges that no one else will get. Itís my way of showing how important your early involvement and support is.

The full announcement will be at 10am Eastern Standard Time (UTC -5) on the 10th day of the 10th month of this year.

My name is Chris Roberts.

And if you would indulge me I would like to create a world for you.

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 12, 2012, 08:42 nin

KilrathiAce wrote on Sep 12, 2012, 05:48:
Overon wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 06:56:
He will soon be asking for money on Kickstarter and I'm sure he will get it.

better if he gets it but retains control than if he went to work for EA or under EA heh

No kidding. I'd almost prefer he went that route, even if it cut the budget considerably.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 12, 2012, 05:48 KilrathiAce

better if he gets it but retains control than if he went to work for EA or under EA heh

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

31. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 11:02 Creston

El Pit wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 07:51:
Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 22:57:
This is going to be a kickstarter for a privateer style game. He's going to ask for a million bucks and will likely easily get it.

Creston

A Freelancer kickstarter? Take my money. I BEG YA, TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

I think quite a lot of people will feel that way.

My biggest worry about it is that a game like that probably can't be made well with so little money...

Creston

30. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 08:59 Morry

The final comment sounds all too familiar:
http://youtu.be/Tvx1xr88qfM?t=2m41s

Wing Commander meets Alien?

29. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 07:54 Burrito of Peace

KilrathiAce wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 22:15:
Hey, I am gonna have to shoot down more terran carriers it seems in my Jalthi heavy fighter

You're going to try at any rate. I'm dusting off a Scimitar as we speak.

28. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 07:51 El Pit

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 22:57:
This is going to be a kickstarter for a privateer style game. He's going to ask for a million bucks and will likely easily get it.

Creston

A Freelancer kickstarter? Take my money. I BEG YA, TAKE MY MONEY NOW!

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

27. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 07:48 El Pit

Iím here to tell you that I have been working on something for just under a year, something that embraces everything that my past games stood for but takes it to the next level.

As long as that level is neither casual gaming nor mobile phone compatibility, I am interested.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

26. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 07:33 Beamer

Mostly_Harmless wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 03:55:
I'm guessing his return to gaming is more to do with the advent of Kickstarter that a sudden leap in gaming platform technology.

I'm really glad to see him back though and really looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

This game is much further in development than Kickstarter has been around.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 07:17 Armengar

oooh cant wait. Time to dust off XBCD and my xbox controller hopefully!  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

24. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 07:06 CJ_Parker

If he does then this will be the first Kickstarter project I will be backing if he is indeed developing an epic space sim with a story mode. This once popular genre desperately needs a revival and who would be better suited to fill the job than Chris Roberts?

23. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 06:56 Overon

22. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 05:19 Julio

I'm hoping for:

Joystick support, none of this mouse control that killed Freelancer
Mark Hamill in FMV
No ingame ads

21. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 04:15 Rea1One

Want a new wing commander game with FMV soo very bad!

pity it will never happen..

20. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 04:14 OldTimber

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 20:50:
Wait, he made Strike Commander? The fucking best story driven flight sim ever made?

Ok.. I am curious ,9
The Commander part in the title didn't tip it off? or that it was also a Origin, the real one not the BS EA pulled now, release?

19. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 04:09 InBlack

While Wing Commander was arguably quite cool, what with the story and everything and later with Mark Hammil, it never quite captured the epic space battle feel like X-Wing or Tie Fighter or even Freespace did.

Although Im interested in what he has to say, Im sick and fucking tired of this marketspeak and hyping for hype's sake and its turning me off whatever he has in mind. Jumping Jesus if you have an annoucement to make, just fucking make it...

I have a nifty blue line!

18. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 03:55 Mostly_Harmless

I'm guessing his return to gaming is more to do with the advent of Kickstarter that a sudden leap in gaming platform technology.

I'm really glad to see him back though and really looking forward to seeing what comes of this.

17. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 11, 2012, 02:23 1badmf

a space MMO done right i think could be really great. the thousands of players could be members of a fleet, each person being a pilot or soldier or what have you, and then you'd have the independent rogue types picking (or swapping) sides. would offer a lot more context and motivation than the random tarren mill slugfests back in WOW.

also i think a lot of you han solo wannabes should check out Independence War 2. Newtonian physics, still surprisingly good grafix, sweet gameplay, intimate story set in a larger political setting, extremely large star map, all set around your merry little band of pirates trying to make a buck. can be really difficult though.

16. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 10, 2012, 23:26 jdreyer

I agree Aero, Chris excelled at making story-driven action games, where success or failure changed the story path. Yes, the characters were often kind of stereotypes, but it worked well. That kind of storytelling is hard to do in a multiplayer game.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

15. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 10, 2012, 23:09 Aero

In the grand scheme of things, the Wing Commander movie was bad, granted, but all things considered I was actually fairly impressed. I was expecting much, much worse. There are definitely worse directors out there that somehow get to keep making films.

The "connected experience" part makes me think MMO. I'd really rather that wasn't the case. With space sims, I get to play out my fantasies about being Han Solo and get immersed in the universe. Frankly, nothing wrecks immersion more than a bunch of other people. It *could* be awesome with other people, but it won't be and there isn't really anything anyone can do about it.

Dedicated servers supporting high player counts (128+) would be ideal though. Then it could be little communities.

14. Re: More Chris Roberts Game Teasing Sep 10, 2012, 23:08 jdreyer

This is good news, overall. My only concern is that he hasn't turned into Lucas (one of his idols): someone who did great work when they were young and hungry, took a break, forgot how to make a great product, and produces pretty but hollow followups.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo