Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Valve's list of the ten bestselling titles on Steam for the week showed up this morning, as opposed to its usual Sunday release, offering the following list:

1. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
  2. Borderlands 2
  3. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
  4. ARMA II Combined Operations
  5. Crysis Collection
  6. Crysis 2 Maximum Edition
  7. Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition
  8. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard
  9. I AM Alive
  10. Sleeping Dogs

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

55. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 14:44 Alamar

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 06:57:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 23:59:
The 3570K isn't locked. I don't think any Intel CPU is locked anymore. I'm running at 4.3 GHz on air right now and that was with an automated overclocking process. If you start messing with the voltages and other things manually, you could likely get it up to 4.8 GHz or more with watercooling.

And when buying memory, you should always go for 2 sticks, not 4. You can't use dual channel with 4 and going for 2 leaves space for more should you need them in the future.

As for SLI, I can't really recommend it. There are a lot of games that either don't support it or have issues when it is enabled (image quality and performance issues). Nvidia is pretty good about fixing these issues in a relatively timely manner but it's still annoying.

With 2 sticks and 4 sticks you do indeed get dual channel, with 1 and 3 sticks you dont. As for SLI i've never encountered a single issue and i play just about every game under the sun.

I guess you're right about 4 sticks being able to dual channel. Still, if you can get 2 sticks, I don't know why you'd want 4.

As for SLI, just look up "SLI issues" on Google.

Two 8GB sticks is still considerably pricier than four 4GB sticks...

-Alamar

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

54. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 13:00 dj LiTh

Jerykk wrote on Sep 11, 2012, 12:34:
The 3570K isn't locked. I don't think any Intel CPU is locked anymore. I'm running at 4.3 GHz on air right now and that was with an automated overclocking process. If you start messing with the voltages and other things manually, you could likely get it up to 4.8 GHz or more with watercooling.

And when buying memory, you should always go for 2 sticks, not 4. You can't use dual channel with 4 and going for 2 leaves space for more should you need them in the future.

As for SLI, I can't really recommend it. There are a lot of games that either don't support it or have issues when it is enabled (image quality and performance issues). Nvidia is pretty good about fixing these issues in a relatively timely manner but it's still annoying.

With 2 sticks and 4 sticks you do indeed get dual channel, with 1 and 3 sticks you dont. As for SLI i've never encountered a single issue and i play just about every game under the sun.

I guess you're right about 4 sticks being able to dual channel. Still, if you can get 2 sticks, I don't know why you'd want 4.

Well since i run an SLI rig. I keep updated drivers, and regularly maintain my computer, I much rather go with what experience i have, SLI has been flawless.

53. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 12:34 Jerykk

52. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 06:59 CJ_Parker

I don't think any Intel CPU is locked anymore.

Most of them are still locked. Only the 'K' models are unlocked. I have an i5-2500K and I can confirm excellent OC-ability. I just set my mobo to auto-OC as well and the 2500K is running at 4.2GHz on air without any issue whatsoever.

51. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 06:57 dj LiTh

50. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 11, 2012, 00:19 John

Yeah, I thought the 'K' models were unlocked but maybe they're just overclocked already? I probably won't OC mine much or at all anyways unless I feel it needs it.

I planned on getting just 2 sticks instead of 4 because I thought thats what was required for the dual channel to work but I wasn't sure. I never really looked into it though but that's good to know.

This space is available for rent

49. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 23:59 Jerykk

This comment was edited on Sep 11, 2012, 00:05.

48. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 23:02 Creston

John wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 20:10:
Creston wrote:
If all you're doing is games, the i7 is overkill. Get the i5-2500K. Best processor for its money with its insane overclocking capabilities. But even at stock it's already faster than anything you could possibly need.

Hmm, I may do that. The i5 3570K is only $10 more than the 2500K though and is the Ivy Bridge so it should run cooler. That's good to hear about your 660 Ti too. Glad I went with that one and I'm looking forward to seeing it perform in person.

What about memory? I was considering going with 16gb but most games I looked at only recommend up to 4gb so now I think 8gb should be enough.

Check how well it overclocks, though, since I don't know off-hand. If it's only 10 bucks more expensive with Ivy Bridge, it seems likely they locked it. Unless you never plan to overclock, in which case go for it.

Yeah, you'll enjoy your 660

As for memory, 8 Gig is really enough, but eh, it's not like it's THAT much more expensive to go 16. Really the only reason I didn't is because of the size of most after-market CPU coolers, I always have difficulty fitting the fourth DIMM in its slot (the cooler typically sticks over that slot.)

To fix that you get the low-riding DIMMs (basically), but those do tend to run hotter, unless you get ones with really expensive heatsinks on them.

I just bought good, fast 8GBs worth, and have never noticed a single issue.

Creston

47. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 20:19 ASeven

Dev wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 19:20:
ASeven wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 14:41:
I was shocked at how awesome the bloody game is. They've given the beta to all kickstarters and they gave it as a Steam key. I've been shocked at putting 25H into the game and I only got it 4 days ago.
I agree, I've got 28h myself in FTL

The alternative layout to the Kestrel is quite awesome, try and get the achievements for Kestrel to get the more awesome alternative.

Also, the secret Engie warship given to the federation is a pain to play.

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 20:14 dj LiTh

John wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 20:10:
Creston wrote:
If all you're doing is games, the i7 is overkill. Get the i5-2500K. Best processor for its money with its insane overclocking capabilities. But even at stock it's already faster than anything you could possibly need.

Hmm, I may do that. The i5 3570K is only $10 more than the 2500K though and is the Ivy Bridge so it should run cooler. That's good to hear about your 660 Ti too. Glad I went with that one and I'm looking forward to seeing it perform in person.

What about memory? I was considering going with 16gb but most games I looked at only recommend up to 4gb so now I think 8gb should be enough.

8gb is great, only reason to go higher is if your into VMware stuff. For gaming, you should be jubilant if a game takes more than 2gb of ram, and ecstatic if it takes 3-4gb of ram, i've never consumed more than 4-5gb's while gaming

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 20:10 John

Creston wrote:

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 20:10 Dev

NegaDeath wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 19:32:
Man I want to play FTL so bad. Looks like the kickstarter is closed so I'll have to wait those long 4 days. Oh well I have guild wars.
I think this is the store page:
http://store.steampowered.com//app/212680

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 19:32 NegaDeath

Man I want to play FTL so bad. Looks like the kickstarter is closed so I'll have to wait those long 4 days. Oh well I have guild wars.  

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 19:20 Dev

ASeven wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 14:41:
I was shocked at how awesome the bloody game is. They've given the beta to all kickstarters and they gave it as a Steam key. I've been shocked at putting 25H into the game and I only got it 4 days ago.
I agree, I've got 28h myself in FTL

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 18:30 dj LiTh

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 18:20:
Prez, when you've purchased everything else on Steam, will you start buying the Railroad add-on's?

I think thats when he start charges steam rent for landing on his monopoly.

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 18:20 The Half Elf

Prez, when you've purchased everything else on Steam, will you start buying the Railroad add-on's?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 18:13 Leper

This is the first I've heard about it, but FTL looks like great fun. I hope it sells well and the developers support it, expand it and/or work on a sequel because the premise has limitless potential.  

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 17:37 Creston

John wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 16:05:
nin wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 15:48:
I've had a 500 series for a year or so and can throw pretty much anything at it at 19x10. A 600 series should last you awhile.
Thanks! That's good to know. It will be a while before I can do another upgrade so I want this to last. I'm also getting a 3rd Gen i7 CPU to go with it.

Save yourself the money. The i7 is just unnecessary.

Creston

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 17:35 Creston

John wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 15:31:
Prez wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 14:43:
Which one did you get John? Not sure which generation you are upgrading from, but how does it compare to the 500 series? I have a 560ti (awesome card) but I'm looking at upgrading again.
I'm not even sure which one I'm upgrading from! I got it about 6 years ago though so that shows how old it is. I could look it up later at home but don't remember the model right off..

I am getting a GTX 660 Ti though. I was looking at some higher 600-series models but this seems to be the best card for the price.. at least for the price I wanted to pay. I also considered getting a high-end 500-series at first, but when I saw the 660 and above come with BL2, I decided to get it instead.

The 660ti is a frakking beast. I got one, and it should be unlawful how fast it is. It plays Guild Wars 2 on max settings at 40-60 fps on 1920x1080, even in those battles where everything is just zerging the special effects on a single boss.

I upgraded from a Radeon 5850, and it's a LOT faster. Definitely recommended. And if you get the MSI one, with the Twin Frozr cooling, you never hear it either.

Creston

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 10, 2012, 16:33 John

That's not a bad idea dj! I may do that with mine once the 660's get around $100. The motherboard I'm getting supports SLI so that would work out good.  

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo