Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow

Valve, a Video Game Maker With Few Rules is a New York Times article on Valve Corporation, offering their own take on the developer's unusual approach to their business. They discuss the company's forward-thinking approach and unstructured structure as well as Gabe Newell's publiccriticism of Windows 8. They also outline the current state of Valve's hardware ambitions, giving firsthand impressions of a prototype of the wearable computer and the company's big picture UI mode, which they say will enter public testing tomorrow: "On Monday, the company will begin a public test of a new television-friendly interface, Big Picture, for buying Steam games and playing them on computers in the living room."

View
44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

24. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 00:57 Dev

RailWizard wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 00:48:
edit: actually to clear things up, MY advice to Valve is to become relevant again. I.E. RELEASE some games that you have developed.
As I've said in a number of threads, valve could never again release another game, and still rake in piles of cash. Steam will continue to give them piles of money for the foreseeable future. In fact, releasing their own games makes them very little compared to what steam brings in. It has nothing to do with them being relevant as a company.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 00:48 RailWizard

It was pointed out to me recently that this site is a popular place for posts of people within the industry.

It does not surprise ONE BIT that you don't understand where I am coming from.

This is pre-emptive bitching. Why? Because I like Valve and I see where they are going. So fuck YOU if you do not understand.

edit: actually to clear things up, MY advice to Valve is to become relevant again. I.E. RELEASE some games that you have developed.

22. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 00:33 Slashman

RailWizard wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:56:
nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:12:
Allright, it's almost time for you all to stop feeding the mogwai...

Yeah that's cute and all, maybe it will even sway a few of the peons around here, but really, you couldn't even answer the question without resorting to elementary level attacks.

All that really matters is the product. The fact that they treat their employes well(allegedly) is all well and good, but the bottom line is that I as a consumer don't really care about that shit.

I want my product. The one that I asked for, and none other.

Did you pre-order something and not get it from Valve? What the hell are you even talking about? Do they owe you money or something?

21. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 10, 2012, 00:16 Dev

RailWizard wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:03:
Can you honestly tell me what it is that makes Valve so great?
Yes, and I've done so in a number of threads.

As for the gimmicky crap, that would be from bored employees trying to find something interesting to work on to wheel their desks to. They essentially have near unlimited budgets for most things they want to play with.

20. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 23:56 RailWizard

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:12:

Yeah that's cute and all, maybe it will even sway a few of the peons around here, but really, you couldn't even answer the question without resorting to elementary level attacks.

All that really matters is the product. The fact that they treat their employes well(allegedly) is all well and good, but the bottom line is that I as a consumer don't really care about that shit.

I want my product. The one that I asked for, and none other.

19. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 23:55 Riker

Good timing for Big Picture. I just discovered AirParrot (which does an outstanding job of streaming audio and video from my PC to my Apple TV), and was thinking about picking up an Xbox 360 controller for Windows. Fun!  

18. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 23:12 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 23:03 RailWizard

Can you honestly tell me what it is that makes Valve so great?

Sure, they have made some great games in the past. They may even make 1 or 2 in the future.

Now beyond that, they have become a publisher, and as such, are seemingly not immune to the temptations of that role.

I am merely trying to predict the future here....

Soon they will roll out their app store(which no one asked for), as well as all this other gimmicky crap referenced in this article.

All I want is a decent online game store. I can get all that other crap from elsewhere, I don't need it from Valve.

edit: "special." That's right. Don't forget it.

This comment was edited on Sep 9, 2012, 23:09.

16. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 23:01 Matshock

"Die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

I only asked for a refund from Steam once then got it- no hassle.

I just migrated from Vista 32-bit to W7 64 bit on a new hdd/cpu/board/etc. I installed Steam then downloaded the games in my library I wanted to play with no hassle.

Guess what's going to happen when I try to take my MS Office install disk and put it on my new hdd? I bet it won't be so easy.

15. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 22:45 Mordecai Walfish

RailWizard wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 21:38:
..They are merely next in line for the deserved hatred of their customer base.

..because every good company is merely waiting in line for the deserved hatred of their customer base. It's an inevitability, no doubt.

Obviously there *is* something "special" about You, lol

14. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 22:28 Bet

RailWizard wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 21:38:
There is nothing special about Valve. They are merely next in line for the deserved hatred of their customer base.

Though it does suck for those of us with sizable libraries within their cloud....

edit: for all the fanbois, yep I'm crazy, I'm a moron, you should not listen to me, etc, etc....

Are you really that hateful?

13. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 21:38 RailWizard

There is nothing special about Valve. They are merely next in line for the deserved hatred of their customer base.

Though it does suck for those of us with sizable libraries within their cloud....

edit: for all the fanbois, yep I'm crazy, I'm a moron, you should not listen to me, etc, etc....

12. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 21:18 jacobvandy

English or not, it's still outsourcing. Plus, who can understand them with those accents?  

11. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 21:02 Panickd

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 20:19:
Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:57:
Maybe it's time for them to farm their support system out to a call center in India. It's not ideal, mind you, but shit would get taken care of quicker and more efficiently and then the regular Valve guys could ignore the whole support system and work on the fun stuff.
Given the amount of money they're making they really should be providing jobs to native speakers. I've had to deal with Indian call centres when contacting EA Support and it just doesn't give a good impression.

Hate to break it to you but most of the Indian call center group speaks english natively. They were conquered by the english speaking English, after all. Not really their fault you can't understand the King's English, is it?

10. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 20:58 jimnms

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:36:
Basically this. I generally love the service experience but what they call "support" is hilariously bad. I submitted a ticket to them 6 days ago for a refund on Home because it turns out the game has a known compatibility issue with my sound card that causes it to run mute, one the author says he isn't going to fix. Not even an acknowledgement. Their site says they have "high ticket volume", which it's has for months. Same crap you get when you call a big telco's support line. When searching my e-mail for the ticket number, I found another ticket I submitted a couple years back for a problem with the Steam client itself. It literally never got a response and was automatically closed after a month. The whole "choose your job" thing sounds great except when it comes to things like customer service which is a job few would put themselves in. This isn't some tiny indie with no budget, it's bloody Valve. The support experience should equal everything else that makes them great.

I've only submitted a support ticket once, and that was to request a refund on GTA IV. The initial release was so fucked up, especially buying it from Steam. Not only did you have to run Steam, it loaded MS Live and the RockStar Social Club thing. To top it off the controls weren't customizable, which made it impossible for me to play, which wasn't Valve's fault.

I submitted a ticket requesting a refund, but then used AutoHotKey to get around the screwed up key binding and started to enjoy the game. The next day I got a reply, they had issued a refund and removed the game from my account. They have a no refund policy, so I never expected to actually get one. I then went to the store and bought the boxed version.

They did mention their no refund policy in the reply, but stated they would make an exception this one time. That's the one issue I have with Steam is the no refund policy. It was then when I decided I wouldn't buy a game on Steam unless it was heavily discounted or required Steam.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 20:19 theyarecomingforyou

Panickd wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:57:
Maybe it's time for them to farm their support system out to a call center in India. It's not ideal, mind you, but shit would get taken care of quicker and more efficiently and then the regular Valve guys could ignore the whole support system and work on the fun stuff.
Given the amount of money they're making they really should be providing jobs to native speakers. I've had to deal with Indian call centres when contacting EA Support and it just doesn't give a good impression.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

8. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 19:16 Parallax Abstraction

Dades wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:43:
Any time I've submitted a support ticket with Steam it's been fast and painless but I've only ever needed to do that once or twice.

This is only the third ticket I've ever had to submit. The first one was a number of years ago and it was handled quickly. These latter two, not so much. From what I've seen from other people, your experience is either awful or fantastic, there's no middle ground.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

7. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 18:57 Panickd

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 18:41:
Dev wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 14:55:
Sounds like the best company to work for ever. As a customer though, it leaves a bit to be desired.

Basically this. I generally love the service experience but what they call "support" is hilariously bad. I submitted a ticket to them 6 days ago for a refund on Home because it turns out the game has a known compatibility issue with my sound card that causes it to run mute, one the author says he isn't going to fix. Not even an acknowledgement. Their site says they have "high ticket volume", which it's has for months. Same crap you get when you call a big telco's support line. When searching my e-mail for the ticket number, I found another ticket I submitted a couple years back for a problem with the Steam client itself. It literally never got a response and was automatically closed after a month. The whole "choose your job" thing sounds great except when it comes to things like customer service which is a job few would put themselves in. This isn't some tiny indie with no budget, it's bloody Valve. The support experience should equal everything else that makes them great.

If there was one thing I would fix about Valve, it would be that. Their support needs more accountability, and a more customer service focus. I understand they might not be able to solve every problem, but at least acknowledge the issues and try to work towards a resolution. Their sometimes attitude of "our way or the highway, and that's the way it is" leaves a lot to be desired.

6. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 18:43 Dades

Any time I've submitted a support ticket with Steam it's been fast and painless but I've only ever needed to do that once or twice.  

5. Re: Valve Profile; Big Picture UI Testing Tomorrow Sep 9, 2012, 18:41 nin

Dev wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 14:55:
Sounds like the best company to work for ever. As a customer though, it leaves a bit to be desired.

If there was one thing I would fix about Valve, it would be that. Their support needs more accountability, and a more customer service focus. I understand they might not be able to solve every problem, but at least acknowledge the issues and try to work towards a resolution. Their sometimes attitude of "our way or the highway, and that's the way it is" leaves a lot to be desired.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

44 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo