Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes

ArenaNet continues its post-launch tweaking of Guild Wars 2, posting patch notes for an update yesterday and another set from today. Most of the changes are bug fixes.

View
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 13:27 Flatline

Axis wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 09:41:
Rattlehead wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 09:15:
Axis wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 08:44:

But ya, get pissed at the efficient players, that makes sense.

Is that what they call marathon gaming sessions these days?

Pro tip, slow down.

See Rattle you're just one of "those" people.

Had someone said "GW2 is HARD to make cash, slow to level, confusing to pvp!"
People like you would say "L2P"

Many of you supposedly played the BWE's when you were on the attack of anyone who had anything negative to say. I can't imagine anyone who played the BWE's not to be 80 even at a casual pace. A majority of vet gamers are 80 by now, I know most in my guild are/have been and we all work and are in our 30s and 40s.

Sure we focused on progression, and that's a problem? Laughable.

The only difference between me and many is I've saved myself major time being efficient at the start. You guys will be spending 20X the amount of time while you discover every vistas and POI -- it'll take you 2 months, and the end result will be exactly as I stated:

"People are now realizing that the future is major grinding for legendaries or pvp -- and only if you LOVE the game would you have more than a passing interest in either."

This isn't about monies worth - sure I got mine and you will all too. But will the game have the longevity and addiction of what many of you rabidly attacked and defended it would be? Answer that once you've been in endgame a week or so.

All I can say to this is that if you're the type to put in 100+ hours within 2 weeks of launch, there's only one of two options for you: Change your play habits or admit that there is no such thing as longevity for you. Anything else is mock indignation at a problem you yourself create. There is no game that can provide infinite new content at an at-will pace, so pretending that there should be is kind of bullshit, especially when the game is so new that they're still releasing daily stability patches.

I play maybe once or twice a week and at the rate I'm going at I'll still be seeing new stuff in six months, maybe even a year. That's quite a bit of longevity, considering most games I blow through in a weekend and never touch again. For a game that I don't pay a monthly fee for, 2 months of gameplay is a lot. I suspect that in six months, when I do level cap, there will be new content waiting. either that or I can go pick a completely different class/race and have the fun of exploring the world that way.

It's obvious no amount of content will be enough for a certain population of people, but somehow that's the game's fault and not the player's issue, and I never got that.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 12:54 Creston

You guys will be spending 20X the amount of time while you discover every vistas and POI -- it'll take you 2 months, and the end result will be exactly as I stated:

"People are now realizing that the future is major grinding for legendaries or pvp -- and only if you LOVE the game would you have more than a passing interest in either."

Or, you know, I just start a new character and go do something else with that character? I have no interest in legendaries whatsoever. I'd like to see one some day, just so I can go "huh, cool", and then ignore it. I've never understood the point of raiding for gear, or grinding for legendaries or whatever. Great, so you spent 100 hours to get the Ultimate Weapon 1.0! Now you can use it to make the next 100 hours of raiding/grinding easier? Yay?

I'll just roll an engineer and play that for awhile.

Creston

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 12:48 Creston

Fion wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 02:03:
Frijoles wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 16:42:
Players can now do the production portion of crafting without having to pull the resources from their bank.

THANK GOD. Glad to see they're working on getting discovery to work the same way.

I don't think I'd like discovery to work out of your bank like regular crafting. It would take all the.. discovery out of it. Crafting different items and seeing how they might combine, discovering new items by looking at special crafting mats and trying to mix and match is what I find most fun about the crafting. If all mats showed in discovery it would simply become a game of 'click the highlighted items'. IMHO, that would take all the fun out of it.

How is it fun to have to double-click 80 times to put stuff from the bank into your backpack in order to be able to do discovery? Once all your items are in your pack, discovery is still a matter of "check the highlighed items."

Being able to do so from your bank saves you from having to first spend ten minutes transferring all that shit to your backpack...

Creston

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 12:44 Creston

mixma242 wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 02:32:
Creston wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 22:08:
So, on a more normal topic, question about WvWvW. Played it for awhile this afternoon, it was pretty cool, though it seemed largely pointless as we kept zerging back and forth between an enemy keep and our own home base. They'd rush us, we'd get overrun, they'd follow us to our home base where we'd regroup, we'd drive them back, at which point they would retreat into the keep, and since we didn't have the manpower to break down the gate (which had at least a MILLION hitpoints. I guess it was made from the souls of the damned, or something), and back and forth and back and forth.

Your team was doing it wrong. The zerg thing is a problem even with organized teams, but once a decent leader shows up that people listen to the situation gets better. Could have been the time of day or it could have been your server. The good leaders don't seem to show up till later in the evening, I have noticed.

Only Tier 1 tower gates should ever be tried to be hit down, for everything else you need siege You can't really ever hit down keep gates even when they are T1. You need at least a ram, but preferably two for a tower and at least three for a keep.

The repair situation gets a lot better once you know the appropriate time to run away. If you are defending and your gate is down to 5% it is time to jump off the back wall and run. If your team is about to enter an enemy keep, you let someone else be the first through the door. And in open battles you want to be able to hit the enemy but never be in the front or back of the group. If you are running away from the enemy you had best have one team mate behind you to take the hits/freezes or you will die.

Anyway, I always end up with more loot and silver then I spend on repairs and siege If you want mad money and xp try getting on a ballista at a choke point - that is amazingly awesome, Even after spending silver to build the ballista, when you fire into a hoard that is stopped in the choke you will be one shotting people every time you fire. This only works if your teams is working to keep them choked, but even with a semi-organized defense this isn't too hard.

I just hit level 50 and 35 of those come just from WvW. I've spent @ 4 hours a day in WvW since release. I think for the time spent you can do better in PvE, but I enjoy the WvW.

Thanks for the tips.

We did have a ram for the gate, but even with it it took absolutely for freaking ever. I guess maybe it was a keep or something we attacked, I have no clue. I don't think either team really knew what it was doing. In all the scrapes back and forth, I kept targeting the same five or six guys who were always in the front (and thus frequently died), but they were also the ones killing guys on our side.

I got my 50 kills in about an hour and a half or so, and they really started building when I realized that the enemy group always over-extended itself, leaving two or three stragglers caught behind our lines. A Dagger Storm through their middle typically took care of them. A thief is also awesome at catching runners. Between the Dancing Dagger that cripples, the Scorpion Wire that yanks them back, the permanent +25% speed boost from my Signet, and the guns with big crits, it was fun running down the poor souls who got left behind.

I'll need to try it again with a better group. I'll see if I can find a guild that's good at WvWvW and hang out with them, see if it goes any better that way.

Creston

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 12:40 Creston

Fion wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 02:20:
So, on a more normal topic, question about WvWvW. Played it for awhile this afternoon, it was pretty cool, though it seemed largely pointless as we kept zerging back and forth between an enemy keep and our own home base. They'd rush us, we'd get overrun, they'd follow us to our home base where we'd regroup, we'd drive them back, at which point they would retreat into the keep, and since we didn't have the manpower to break down the gate (which had at least a MILLION hitpoints. I guess it was made from the souls of the damned, or something), and back and forth and back and forth.

Anyway, it earned okay XP, and decent karma, but how the heck do you make money in WvW? I got my 50 kills for my monthly (against ~ 7 or 8 deaths, so not too bad, I think), and the grand amount of loot I got out of it was worth approximately 30 coppers. In the mean time, I spent about 10 silvers repairing my shit every time I died. So how is this a financially viable method of leveling up? Am I missing something? I got loot from only a few guys that I killed; most of them left nothing...

Is there some secret to getting rewarded in WvWvW that I'm not privy to?

Creston

I'll never understand the whole 'if it doesn't have a carrot, it isn't fun' mentality. That said, Creston if you want to enjoy World vs World I recommend finding a guild that has a presence in WvW on your server. It's a whole hell of a lot more fun that way when you have a coordinated group using siege weapons and other tactics to crush the roving zergs.

It's the servers with large WvW focused guilds that own the hell out of everyone else because use of tactics, good siege weapon placement, etc. The only downside is of course the queue times.

It isn't so much that it isn't fun if I don't get rewarded, but if I spend 10 silvers on repair, to me that's quite a bit of cash as I don't typically have a whole lot. And if in return I get 50 coppers as a reward, then I'm beginning to wonder why I'm doing it.

(I also got six Honor Badges as a reward. Turn in at the weapon/armor smiths for goods, they said. So I run over to the weapon smith to find... that everything costs like 230+ honor badges. So that's... 40 hours of WvW then to get a pistol I can find as a drop in PvE from just about anything...)

Again, I don't mind that it's not AS effective as PvE, but it does need to be at least somewhat affordable to do...

Creston

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 10:43 briktal

Verno wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 09:10:
I think the dungeons need a tuning pass, some are overtuned and others are too easy. The storyline quests are fine and not meant to be played back to back but people treat it as the "main quest line" which is fair, so they always want to see whats next.

They definitely talked about how much they tuned and fixed things after BWE feedback. And dungeons (along with the higher level zones) were barely covered in any of the BWEs.

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 10:02 Rattlehead

Wait Axis, did you just quote and respond to your own earlier comment?  

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 09:45 Verno

This isn't about monies worth - sure I got mine and you will all too. But will the game have the longevity and addiction of what many of you rabidly attacked and defended it would be? Answer that once you've been in endgame a week or so.

That's kind of a loaded question though. They were pretty up front from the beginning that this game was not intended to be played forever. Few games are and that design intent almost always results in a negative, lasting impression with players. If you want to endlessly grind things then this game does have some but no it doesn't have 100 daily quests to melt your brain or whatever. I could do nothing but PVP in this game for months but I won't be doing that every day or something.

Have fun, stop playing when you stop having fun. There is no monthly fee and no obligation involved, that's the beauty of the game.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 09:41 Axis

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 09:15:

Pro tip, slow down.

See Rattle you're just one of "those" people.

Had someone said "GW2 is HARD to make cash, slow to level, confusing to pvp!"
People like you would say "L2P"

Many of you supposedly played the BWE's when you were on the attack of anyone who had anything negative to say. I can't imagine anyone who played the BWE's not to be 80 even at a casual pace. A majority of vet gamers are 80 by now, I know most in my guild are/have been and we all work and are in our 30s and 40s.

Sure we focused on progression, and that's a problem? Laughable.

The only difference between me and many is I've saved myself major time being efficient at the start. You guys will be spending 20X the amount of time while you discover every vistas and POI -- it'll take you 2 months, and the end result will be exactly as I stated:

Yours truly,

Axis

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 09:15 Rattlehead

Pro tip, slow down.

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 09:14 wtf_man

Angry Joe's Review is fairly spot on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ax-_06Acj8Y

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 09:10 Verno

Flatline wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 04:16:
My only main complaint at this point is the 3 levels between story missions I have to go through to continue the story. They're fun, well written, and engaging. I want to keep doing them. The problem isn't the leveling per se, it's that I'll eventually have to grind events or just grind the last half of a level to reach the next one.

Also, my leveling has officially completely surpassed my crafting. I need to catch up. Part of the problem is that the magic buffs that are required are effing insane. They drop slowly, and then the second tier of buffs requires something sick like a stack of 8 vials of thin blood or whatever. Both my crafts are stuck at around 50 because of that, and I''ve kind of given up on it, which sucks because that's a great source of XP.

I think the dungeons need a tuning pass, some are overtuned and others are too easy. The storyline quests are fine and not meant to be played back to back but people treat it as the "main quest line" which is fair, so they always want to see whats next.

Crafting is a bit of a grind but it's intentional to keep you from just leveling and leaving everything without seeing the zones fully. Any time I just kick it in a zone for awhile and do stuff naturally then I've been able to maintain. I am slightly annoyed at getting 5 sticks of butter with every kill though, they need to revert that silliness.

Anyways, game owns bones. Lots of longevity there for people who don't go at it too crazy but even the people who do will get their monies worth. My guild always has a ton of stuff to do and I never feel like I have to play because of a monthly sub. Nice to have an MMO you can put down for awhile, go play another game and come back.

Your team was doing it wrong. The zerg thing is a problem even with organized teams, but once a decent leader shows up that people listen to the situation gets better. Could have been the time of day or it could have been your server. The good leaders don't seem to show up till later in the evening, I have noticed.

Yeah exactly. Make a guild group and ignore the zergs. Go off and do your own thing. You'll make lots of money, get tons of exp/etc and contribute more. Plus the scrapes you get into will be more fun since it won't be 5vs50. sPVP and tPVP are very fun too, they shouldn't be ignored.

The problem with WvWvW is that you're only as good as your servers average player is. Our guild regularly dominates during primetime hours but then we go to bed and our pubbies lose all of our gains so we end up retaking everything the next day, it's kind of annoying. It also resets every day so many people just aren't taking it seriously until they start doing the 2 week matchups or whatever.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 2012, 09:17.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 08:44 Axis

Funny, pissed off? You'll realize someday that GW isn't supposed to be about getting 80 - they fully expect ppl to level and get their items quickly. It's about Guilds and Wars, it's just a shimmer of the former.

Pro tip - gw2 had so many opportunities to level fast. I don't play mmo's to look at scenery and preview every armor that drops.

shit I got 60-80 in one evening just with crafting, it was easy anyone can do it with mats.

Yours truly,

Axis

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 07:56 briktal

Fion wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 02:03:
Players can now do the production portion of crafting without having to pull the resources from their bank.

THANK GOD. Glad to see they're working on getting discovery to work the same way.

I don't think I'd like discovery to work out of your bank like regular crafting. It would take all the.. discovery out of it. Crafting different items and seeing how they might combine, discovering new items by looking at special crafting mats and trying to mix and match is what I find most fun about the crafting. If all mats showed in discovery it would simply become a game of 'click the highlighted items'. IMHO, that would take all the fun out of it.

But how is it any different than how you'd currently just take all the mats and put them in your inventory?

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 05:22 jacobvandy

Flatline wrote on Sep 10, 2012, 04:16:
My only main complaint at this point is the 3 levels between story missions I have to go through to continue the story. They're fun, well written, and engaging. I want to keep doing them. The problem isn't the leveling per se, it's that I'll eventually have to grind events or just grind the last half of a level to reach the next one.

If you treat it like a grind, that's what you'll get. Don't go out there thinking "fuck, I need to level up 3 times..." Just explore, kill enemies you find on the way, pitch in at events you stumble upon, and gather every crafting material node you see. You can look at the map for direction, completing each area 100% gives you a nice chunk of XP/money/loot, and as long as you're not just rushing through ignoring everything else but marking each feature on the map, you'll be leveling up plenty fast. Also, the trading post is VERY useful for getting past crafting bottlenecks. Make sure you're discovering a whole range of recipes, too, as that nets you the most experience (toward leveling the profession).

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 05:13 jdreyer

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 23:14:
It just bothers me when people clearly blow through a game by playing non-stop and then saying there's basically nothing left to do. It's not a valid complaint in my eyes.
THIS. I read a Diablo 3 quote recently before the current patch that add 100 levels: "I put 500 hours into this game and now there's nothing to do. This game sucks." I was like, I dunno Jack, but it sounds like ya got yer money's worth.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 04:16 Flatline

Also, my leveling has officially completely surpassed my crafting. I need to catch up. Part of the problem is that the magic buffs that are required are effing insane. They drop slowly, and then the second tier of buffs requires something sick like a stack of 8 vials of thin blood or whatever. Both my crafts are stuck at around 50 because of that, and I''ve kind of given up on it, which sucks because that's a great source of XP.

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 02:32 mixma242

Only Tier 1 tower gates should ever be tried to be hit down, for everything else you need siege You can't really ever hit down keep gates even when they are T1. You need at least a ram, but preferably two for a tower and at least three for a keep.

The repair situation gets a lot better once you know the appropriate time to run away. If you are defending and your gate is down to 5% it is time to jump off the back wall and run. If your team is about to enter an enemy keep, you let someone else be the first through the door. And in open battles you want to be able to hit the enemy but never be in the front or back of the group. If you are running away from the enemy you had best have one team mate behind you to take the hits/freezes or you will die.

Anyway, I always end up with more loot and silver then I spend on repairs and siege If you want mad money and xp try getting on a ballista at a choke point - that is amazingly awesome, Even after spending silver to build the ballista, when you fire into a hoard that is stopped in the choke you will be one shotting people every time you fire. This only works if your teams is working to keep them choked, but even with a semi-organized defense this isn't too hard.

I just hit level 50 and 35 of those come just from WvW. I've spent @ 4 hours a day in WvW since release. I think for the time spent you can do better in PvE, but I enjoy the WvW.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 02:20 Fion

Anyway, it earned okay XP, and decent karma, but how the heck do you make money in WvW? I got my 50 kills for my monthly (against ~ 7 or 8 deaths, so not too bad, I think), and the grand amount of loot I got out of it was worth approximately 30 coppers. In the mean time, I spent about 10 silvers repairing my shit every time I died. So how is this a financially viable method of leveling up? Am I missing something? I got loot from only a few guys that I killed; most of them left nothing...

Is there some secret to getting rewarded in WvWvW that I'm not privy to?

Creston

I'll never understand the whole 'if it doesn't have a carrot, it isn't fun' mentality. That said, Creston if you want to enjoy World vs World I recommend finding a guild that has a presence in WvW on your server. It's a whole hell of a lot more fun that way when you have a coordinated group using siege weapons and other tactics to crush the roving zergs.

It's the servers with large WvW focused guilds that own the hell out of everyone else because use of tactics, good siege weapon placement, etc. The only downside is of course the queue times.

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Patch Notes Sep 10, 2012, 02:03 Fion

40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo