Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Legal Briefs

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 10, 2012, 09:27 Verno

Damn that Amazon, owning the market with actual value and low prices! That's sooooo anti-consumer, what about the local bookstores? Won't someone think of the children?!  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2012, 08:26 Alamar

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 17:57:
Prez wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 17:35:
Julio wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 16:54:
Was that article paid for by Apple? Eliminating price fixing is a good thing for competition. I hope the government makes Apple wear a ballgag when they fine them.

Ebooks without price fixing allow authors to make more money than they used to, rewarding the creator of the work, not the middlemen.

That's what I thought too. It's astounding - every article I read lately is so embarrassingly slanted to "pro-Apple" it's enough to make me wonder if there's anyone objective out there in journo-land anymore or if everyone is an Apple shill.

I sometimes wonder if Blue intentionally throws in a wacky link here and there, just to see who's reading...

I rarely read these articles, but I often browse the comments ; )

-Alamar

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2012, 04:35 Cornholio

That's most of the reason why I clicked on the comments for this... to see what people were gonna say.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 19:40 Kitkoan

nin wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 17:57:
Was that article paid for by Apple? Eliminating price fixing is a good thing for competition. I hope the government makes Apple wear a ballgag when they fine them.

Ebooks without price fixing allow authors to make more money than they used to, rewarding the creator of the work, not the middlemen.

That's what I thought too. It's astounding - every article I read lately is so embarrassingly slanted to "pro-Apple" it's enough to make me wonder if there's anyone objective out there in journo-land anymore or if everyone is an Apple shill.

I sometimes wonder if Blue intentionally throws in a wacky link here and there, just to see who's reading...

Or maybe he's baiting to see who has the most fun comments.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 17:57 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 17:35 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 16:54 Julio

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 9, 2012, 15:50 xmb1121

I'm with you guys. I felt like I needed to take a shower to get the crap off me after I read that article.

If Amazon decides to sell things at a loss, that in no way takes money away from the publisher or author. They still get the price they sold it for. It actually hurts Amazon, but like 7-11, they hope you will buy something else to offset the discount.

2. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 9, 2012, 15:13 eRe4s3r

Indeed, when I read that at first I thought it was maybe a traditional book publisher or Apple blog. There is so much FUD in that article it makes your brains hurt, and as you say.. even with price fixing sales for e-books were high and independent publishers got a huge boost. Now the prices can finally be competitive, means more sales, not less.  

1. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 9, 2012, 15:06 Dev

You can tell the author is very pro book publisher and anti amazon.

Funny, everyone (publishers, authors, etc) seemed to be doing ok in ebook sales prior to the price collusion. If removing that collusion is so bad, then why were we doing well?

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo