Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

On Darksiders II Sales

GamesIndustry International has the NPD Group's estimate that Darksiders II sold just 247,000 units in the U.S. in August, saying it reflects how weak game sales have been lately that this still managed to place THQ's action/RPG sequel on the top ten bestseller list for the month. They were unable to get a comment on this from THQ, but have a reaction from analyst Micael Pachter who presumes the game has sold about a million units internationally by now, but that he doesn't think the game will be profitable, saying: "my understanding is that breakeven is greater than 2 million units, so it's not likely to get much higher than that."

View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

16. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 19:44 bigspender

when will publishers realise that many people use their gaming time as a social event - games need co-op - especially if they are these sort of hack and slash games, or adventuring games.

i played about 1/2 way through the first game, but i got bored playing on my own and didnt feel the need to return since I want to play other coop games with my friends.

also releasing a single player game at the same time as highly anticipated MMO (GW2) doesnt seem to be a good idea, just about everyone i talk to at work etc is playing it.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 19:40 Lorcin

Loved the first game - completed it twice and own it on PC and PS3. Number 2 was kinda meh.

Sorry vigil.

14. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 19:10 007Bistromath

This is obvious bullshit. The market's only been "dying" for the last twenty years.

Market analyst: n.; a person paid vast sums to talk out of their ass.

13. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 19:07 Slashman

I finished Darksiders 1 with a mouse and keyboard with zero problems. I have no idea how someone could have trouble finishing the game due to the controls. In DS1 at least, the controls were fine.

I'm curious to play 2, but I don't think the $50 price point is right for this on PC. The first one launched at $30. They should have kept that price point on PC for 2.

12. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 18:40 PHJF

It's obvious you never even played the game, so why bother posting?

I did play it, and while I certainly hoped for the best they were clearly overly ambitious and underdelivered. This was a game destined for financial failure.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 18:29 Rattlehead

Icewind wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 18:05:
Anyone with a brain could see the game looked like shit. Console ports are RARELY decent, and even if they are it's mainly due to the game being made by a top tier developer like Bethesda. (Which is pushing it since even they can barely port correctly)

I had a lot of friends hyped for the game, some who were big fans of the first and I just didn't see where all the excitement was coming from. Some half-assed 3D Zelda clone? I could go back and play LoK Soul Reaver for that. It's on GOG for a pittance.

Plus any game that requires 2 million sales just to break even was a very poorly planned game. The industry needs to downsize and rethink their strategy. Take a cue from the indie devs like Gaslamp Games...do it smaller and better, not bigger and flashier.
It's obvious you never even played the game, so why bother posting?

10. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 18:29 Rattlehead

This sucks. Darksiders is awesome, and screw the haters, I don't want this franchise to die. There aren't many decent hack and slash games these on PC these days, and I don't even know if the new Devil May Cry is coming to PC.

9. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 18:26 Deathbishop

Prez wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 16:27:
The game is way over-priced on PC for how bad of a port it is. I also question the rationale of a company that would release a game that could only be profitable with 2 million units sold.

Is it a worse port than the original because there were some complaints about that and I didn't see it. The fact that the game is better with a controller should not = bad port, some games are just better with a controller than a keyboard.

Darksiders 1 was very good but even though I'm a PC gamer, I grew up on NES and SNES and I like the Zelda-esk type of gameplay.

8. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 18:05 Icewind

Anyone with a brain could see the game looked like shit. Console ports are RARELY decent, and even if they are it's mainly due to the game being made by a top tier developer like Bethesda. (Which is pushing it since even they can barely port correctly)

I had a lot of friends hyped for the game, some who were big fans of the first and I just didn't see where all the excitement was coming from. Some half-assed 3D Zelda clone? I could go back and play LoK Soul Reaver for that. It's on GOG for a pittance.

Plus any game that requires 2 million sales just to break even was a very poorly planned game. The industry needs to downsize and rethink their strategy. Take a cue from the indie devs like Gaslamp Games...do it smaller and better, not bigger and flashier.

7. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 17:28 Spektr

True.. they are all polished and stuff.. good looking and pampered like a student on a prom night but they lack the cool factor.  

6. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 17:01 arnold

most games released today are sucks...i miss the game they released in the 90's....  

5. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 16:59 Flatline

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 16:28:
Sorry, but it just wasn't a very good game.

This. The original is the only game to this day I've ever not been able to finish and was so unimpressed with I returned it to Gamestop for store credit (I believe I traded it in for Mass Effect 2)

4. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 16:30 nin

Save Saints Row!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

3. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 16:28 Stanly Manly

Sorry, but it just wasn't a very good game.  

2. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 16:27 Prez

The game is way over-priced on PC for how bad of a port it is. I also question the rationale of a company that would release a game that could only be profitable with 2 million units sold.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: On Darksiders II Sales Sep 8, 2012, 16:23 Beelzebud

Try selling it for cheaper than $49.99 and you'll make more money in the long run.  

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo