Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video

A new video on Kotaku shows off new units from the upcoming Heart of the Storm expansion for StarCraft II, Blizzard's RTS sequel. They say they have a close look at every new unit in the multiplayer add-on.

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Huh? Sep 9, 2012, 14:37 Numinar

They replaced the awesome looking Protoss Carrier and it's drone fighters with a flying covenant Rifle from Halo.

I can imagine it's much easier to balance and implement a flying cannon, but those carriers were so cool! What next, replace the Siege Tanks with a SPANKR on wheels?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 9, 2012, 01:38 Bhruic

Flatline wrote on Sep 9, 2012, 00:49:
Mines are fine in and of themselves, but in the above video they killed 2 out of a squad of 5 marines. Unless they are dirt cheap they look useless (maybe they're better at vehicles), especially since it looks like you'll have to dedicate production facility time when you could be building something else.

The video was just showing how they work, now how they can be used effectively. I just watched a replay where someone had seeded behind their base, and they took out an incoming Warp Prism full of DTs (they can hit air units, which is cool). Using just 1 to take out 1 enemy unit isn't going to be cost-effective, I agree, but they are a supplementary unit, not a staple of an army.

You're right about the 'toss core, which is cool, but it's still nothing actually new, just shuffled around a little.

Well, the core itself is new. The recall ability isn't, I suppose. But the energy charge and defensive matrix both are. 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

And considering it took a year to crank out Brood Wars, units, campaign, and all, I don't see what the extra time is here. The pre-rendered movies are nice, but they aren't what's holding the game up.

Sure, but the technology was simpler back in the day. Using an extreme example, how long did it take to make a level in Doom compared to a level in Doom 3?

What *is* is "polishing" and "balancing", which i put in quotes because within a month they'll have patched the balance they achieved out. 2 years of "balancing" for the same experience that 1 month of general population play will provide. To prove my point, I give you every previous Blizzard title ever released. Getting it 90% close in, say, half the time, and then being fast on the balance/polish patches for the first month or two probably would cut dev time in half, but wouldn't have nearly the hype behind it.

I really doubt they've spent that much time on balancing - especially since that's the main goal of the beta that's going on right now. They've already announced some balance changes, and I'm sure they'll have some more (and yes, they'll have even more down the road). The fact they'll change things later doesn't mean they don't want to have it as good as they can manage at release. It's hard to say how long it'll take before it's taken up by tournaments, but I doubt it'll be that long.

11. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 9, 2012, 00:49 Flatline

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 17:35:
Flatline wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 16:57:
So I stand corrected. Heart of the Swarm introduces 2.5 new units for 2 sides (mines that don't look particularly effective and a proto-mothership with a few abiliites being the halves), and 2 units for the zerg. Wooo.

Actually, the mines can be quite effective when used properly. And the mothership core gives the Protoss access to some abilities very early on they wouldn't otherwise get until late game.

But the time delay wasn't over adding units, so much as it was over the campaign. Making a good campaign (and the video that goes with it) takes a lot longer than throwing together some units - even if the units need to be balanced exceptionally well (as SC2 is a popular eSport game, hence balance being critical).

Mines are fine in and of themselves, but in the above video they killed 2 out of a squad of 5 marines. Unless they are dirt cheap they look useless (maybe they're better at vehicles), especially since it looks like you'll have to dedicate production facility time when you could be building something else. That being said, they don't qualify to me as a new unit, especially since vulture bikes were laying them back in SC1 as their alternate ability.

You're right about the 'toss core, which is cool, but it's still nothing actually new, just shuffled around a little.

And considering it took a year to crank out Brood Wars, units, campaign, and all, I don't see what the extra time is here. The pre-rendered movies are nice, but they aren't what's holding the game up.

What *is* is "polishing" and "balancing", which i put in quotes because within a month they'll have patched the balance they achieved out. 2 years of "balancing" for the same experience that 1 month of general population play will provide. To prove my point, I give you every previous Blizzard title ever released. Getting it 90% close in, say, half the time, and then being fast on the balance/polish patches for the first month or two probably would cut dev time in half, but wouldn't have nearly the hype behind it.

10. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 23:56 Cutter

They're probably working on how to shoehorn in online-drm and an AH.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 23:40 Prez

I was under the impression when Blizzard split the game into thirds that the ensuing addons would come out a year later at the most. Boy was I wrong. I'm still waiting to see if they keep the offline mode from the Terran campaign for HotS. If they don't, then no sale for me at any price.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

8. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 22:26 crypto

Actually, the mines can be quite effective when used properly. And the mothership core gives the Protoss access to some abilities very early on they wouldn't otherwise get until late game.

It won't matter because it will be who ever makes the first few units the quickest and rush that wins and the game over. I got great at it and was bored. Some the best times with the original was lan with friends that let everyone build then use the units... *sigh* old battle net was full of No Rush game requests, I would have figured they would do something in its sequel

7. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 21:11 Ratty

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 18:51:
I tend to prefer turtling, which made a lot of the missions quite difficult (especially for ones like the mission where the firestorm was progressing over the planet).
Too funny. I stopped playing SC2 on that very mission. I really hate time limits in any game. Don't get me wrong, I loved SC2 and I mean to get back to it Real Soon Now. The terran campaigns were always my favorite, followed by the Zerg (never finished the Protoss in the original) but that fire planet one was too frustrating. I know I can finish it pretty easily but I want to get every secret and couldn't manage to do that no matter how many times I tried.

6. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 18:51 Bhruic

eunichron wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 18:28:
Indeed, if the Zerg campaign is half as good as the Terran campaign was I'll be buying it, as long as they're not charging $60 for it.

Me too, most likely, but I hope they scale back a bit on the "time pressure" missions. I tend to prefer turtling, which made a lot of the missions quite difficult (especially for ones like the mission where the firestorm was progressing over the planet). I understand why they do it (turtling until you have overwhelming force doesn't do much for dramatic tension), but it really forces you to have to play in one specific style, and it's one that I don't enjoy as much.

5. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 18:28 eunichron

So I stand corrected. Heart of the Swarm introduces 2.5 new units for 2 sides (mines that don't look particularly effective and a proto-mothership with a few abiliites being the halves), and 2 units for the zerg. Wooo.

But the time delay wasn't over adding units, so much as it was over the campaign. Making a good campaign (and the video that goes with it) takes a lot longer than throwing together some units - even if the units need to be balanced exceptionally well (as SC2 is a popular eSport game, hence balance being critical).

Indeed, if the Zerg campaign is half as good as the Terran campaign was I'll be buying it, as long as they're not charging $60 for it.

4. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 17:35 Bhruic

3. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 16:57 Flatline

2.5 years for that. Amazing.

And I'm not sure what some of the units like the warhound are supposed to be, but others look fairly underwhelming.

2. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 16:44 Orogogus

The article should say Heart of the Swarm, not Storm.  

1. Re: StarCraft II: Heart of the Storm Units Video Sep 8, 2012, 16:40 Cyant

Wow that looks boring... I haven't touched Starcraft in more than a year. My last blizzard game will be Diablo 3.  

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo