Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks

Ars Technica has an unconfirmed report that ArenaNet has been experiencing attempts at unauthorized access to Guild Wars 2 accounts. These differ from the typical such attacks as they are reportedly the result of a breach at an unnamed Guild Wars fan-site, and that the perpetrators are now trying the username and password combinations from the site to take advantage of users who also use them for their game account. They include the obvious warning that this is not a good idea.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 00:18 Dades

Quinn wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 22:07:
I'm not a Guild Wars fan at all. I wasn't when I bought the game and I still am not. In fact, I'm absolutely stunned why the reviews are so horribly possitive about the game while I was shocked the first time I entered the game. It's graphics are even uglier than the almost 8 years old World of Warcraft graphics;

I don't care if you don't like the game but the quote about graphics is complete horseshit. The game and environments are beautiful with settings turned up.

Yes, the magey types actually feel quite horrible in combat

They really come into their own later, elementalists and necros can be really devastating.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 00:01 Cutter

And this is why for important sites you keep complex passwords and easy ones for sites that don't matter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 23:55 shihonage

Guild Wars 2 looks better than any Blizzard game ever produced. It also is the first game that uses bloom correctly... though I'd still like a separate option to turn it off without sacricifing other effects.

It plays better than any MMO I experienced, changing most things that were annoying about MMOs.

Yes, the magey types actually feel quite horrible in combat, but the Guardian is like a mix of Diablo2 barb and paladin, and it feels great.

Its dynamic event system is more similar to Left 4 Dead AI director, and it actually works. I've not seen a system like this work this well in a MMO.

I've not had this much fun since I played in WoW's Goldshire in 2004, a place that was beautiful at the time, awash with promise of everything that Guild Wars 2 actually delivers and WoW did not.

Oh, and on topic, my GW2 had 3 attempted logins from China. Since I used the same credentials as my FB account, I looked at my FB account and noticed someone logged in using Safari on Linux (not me). Immediate password change and 2-step authentication turned on now.

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 23:22 Frijoles

Divinity's Reach is a good example of mind-blowing graphics. Absolutely stunning how alive they made that city feel. If you lower the graphics all the way to the bottom, it does look meh. But on full, there's no MMO that compares to it IMO. It'd do well even in a single-player contest of graphics.  

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 22:57 Lorcin

Darks wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 22:32:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 22:14:
It's graphics are even uglier than the almost 8 years old World of Warcraft graphics

I don't have GW2 but I've watched friends play and this quote here is not even in the vicinity of being correct.

Ill have to agree with you here, Ive been playing the game for the past week, and the graphics in the game are absolutly awesome. WOW looking, SAME AS THE ORGINAL GW? I have no idea what this idiots been watching or seeing, but hes full of shit. Dont pay any attention to the troll.

Sod the graphics (which are top notch for an mmo) the art design is stunning at times. Some of the vistas you truly do look at and are just blown away by the detail which went into them.

BTW lvl 51 played 61 hours and completed 23% of the world map.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 22:32 Darks

It's graphics are even uglier than the almost 8 years old World of Warcraft graphics

I don't have GW2 but I've watched friends play and this quote here is not even in the vicinity of being correct.

Ill have to agree with you here, Ive been playing the game for the past week, and the graphics in the game are absolutly awesome. WOW looking, SAME AS THE ORGINAL GW? I have no idea what this idiots been watching or seeing, but hes full of shit. Dont pay any attention to the troll.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 22:14 jacobvandy

It's not an unconfirmed report... ANet have been warning people that this has been going on ever since early access began. People are idiots, if they get their accounts compromised in this way, they almost deserve it.

You're right, the game is gorgeous. Mayhaps he's on the same 8-year-old hardware he played WoW on?

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 22:14 Sepharo

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 22:07 Quinn

I'm not a Guild Wars fan at all. I wasn't when I bought the game and I still am not. In fact, I'm absolutely stunned why the reviews are so horribly possitive about the game while I was shocked the first time I entered the game. It's graphics are even uglier than the almost 8 years old World of Warcraft graphics; the character feels "detached" from the environment and the "Dynamic Events" are an old concept which older games included. The only differense is that GW2 has only that and no real "Quests".

Combat is dynamic but not as the media sells it. "You wanna block? Press the block button." The way that lie is sold is exactly that, a lie. You cannot block unless you use a cooldown and have a shield in your offhand. WoW has this. It's nothing new.

The rebellous infantile idea of getting rid of the "holy trinity" (tank, healer, dps) to defy the master of MMO's is just that, an act of childish infancy. What we have now is not tactical combat but lack thereoff; chaos and death.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST AND WHAT I WANTED TO STATE ORIGINALLY:

Because I'm not a fan and never was, the only time I used a GW2 username and pw was when I first created an account on their site and nowhere else since. I also know how to protect my PC. They can shove the blame on is [the players] but this is, fuck, again an act of infancy.

Luckily my email pw isn't identical to the GW2 pw.. because my email has been spammed with login attempts since day 1 I started playing it.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

6. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 21:40 eRe4s3r

The passwords gotten were unsalted hashes, hashes of predictable passwords (because of a lame password system both on that fansite AND on Guild Wars 2 login) are easier to crack/reverse. Especially because both sites used identical limiters to both minimal length and symbol range. This allows crackers to reverse hashes near instantly. 30% or more of the passwords will be within the minimal range of length or use words with numbers...

Obviously it's only an issue if people are still stupid enough to use identical passwords. And indeed, length kinda solves the problem, though length is irrelevant if its words.

I just meant with both password systems were better in their allowed entropy the issue of leaked hashes would be more or less irrelevant. Because you simply can not ever find the collision in question, and so you never find the password if it is properly secured

That said, "minimal X letters, maximum Y"" is about as unsecure as you can make a password system. Because naturally people are not just stupid, they are lazy. And this means crackers can guess the entropy range, which is the worst that can happen to a password hash. If you can guess the limiters, and are sure the limiters are identical on 2 sites, finding the passwords becomes EASIER

I guess my point is.. the fansite is to blame for the hack/leak, but Guild Wars 2 login is to blame for not allowing BETTER passwords than the fansite allowed.

And indeed, Guild Wars 2 does not accept last-pass generated 18+ char full random passwords with symbols on.. why? Because max password length.. is 13 minimal, is 8....

Though maybe that changed recently, it is a system wide issue on Arena Net, actually. (Or was at least when I played Guild Wars 1..)

By the way, everyone should use KeePass or LastPass or similar. Write your master password down, hide it in a book somewhere. If you travel you can log out and even if the perps steal your entire hardware they will never, ever, get into your online accounts in any way. That said, I noticed it becomes a royal PAIN IN THE ASS when some MMO's don't allow copy and paste of passwords in-game.

And yes, I am bored and rambling.. I only even posted that first post to get a discussion going

This comment was edited on Sep 7, 2012, 22:07.

5. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 21:27 fujiJuice

On a somewhat unrelated note. Both my wife and I about a week ago received emails from ArenaNet saying we requested email changes for our Guild Wars 2 accounts, even though neither one of us has the game. Quite strange.  

4. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 21:24 NKD

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 20:34:
maybe wouldn't be a problem if their password system accepted the full range of ASCII symbols and not just keyboard typable symbols....

Is there a maximum length for GW2 passwords? You can substitute complexity for length and it becomes equally hard to brute force, provided you aren't using a password susceptible to dictionary attacks.

But as someone else said, that's irrelevant. This was the same thing that gets WoW users. They use the same email and password on some other site, which is far less secure, and then they just run through the leaked login/PW combinations.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 21:19 Squirmer

maybe wouldn't be a problem if their password system accepted the full range of ASCII symbols and not just keyboard typable symbols....
?

It would be exactly the same problem. You could have a super long password with the most complex mix of symbols possible, but it still means fuck all if you use the same username and password on an insecure fansite.

2. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 20:41 PropheT

Since they're getting the passwords from another site and just matching that password and username to the GW2 account, it wouldn't make any difference at all if the person attacked had the same info on both systems.

1. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 7, 2012, 20:34 eRe4s3r

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo