Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks

Ars Technica has an unconfirmed report that ArenaNet has been experiencing attempts at unauthorized access to Guild Wars 2 accounts. These differ from the typical such attacks as they are reportedly the result of a breach at an unnamed Guild Wars fan-site, and that the perpetrators are now trying the username and password combinations from the site to take advantage of users who also use them for their game account. They include the obvious warning that this is not a good idea.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 17:01 Reikon

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 08:52:
Then that goes against their own FAQ and what I had to generate 3 years ago

Er... nobody had a GW2 account 3 years ago. They also don't specify any password requirements. GW2 accounts are completely new and then override any GW1 account credentials you have.

HorrorScope wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 11:04:
Reikon wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 07:25:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 21:40:
And indeed, Guild Wars 2 does not accept last-pass generated 18+ char full random passwords with symbols on.. why? Because max password length.. is 13 minimal, is 8....

What? Bullshit. I have a 40+ character randomly generated password including symbols as my GW2 password.

For my own knowledge... Since many games aren't adding second level authentication (wrongly), do you simply copy/paste it in or do you have an app that is able to paste it in automatically for these games? I ask because I need to step up my game for these games without a second level authentication method, but I needs something handy to handle something like a 40 character password.

My fav 2nd level authentication method is a pin/w random numpad you click.

Go to 1:40 of this movie to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLI9bCb3wzo&feature=relmfu

Why can't they all just do something like this? The problem goes away.

I use KeePass, which has an option to automatically enter your credentials, including a method that combines simulated keypresses and pasting, which is supposed to defeat keyloggers.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 16:46 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 02:49:
Flatline wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 02:08:
I just f*cking wish they'd turn on the auction house. I'm sitting on like 500 silver ore I want to sell.

? the Trading Post's been working fine for me for the last three days...

Creston

It came online at about 11pm for me last night. It was down the day before though for me.

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 15:26 Agent.X7

I love when people try to use big words to look more intelligent and then fuck them all up, making themselves look stupid.

This password stuff is why I use unique passwords for almost everything. Of course, I worked in IT, so I know how dumb people can be with passwords. The word PASSWORD, no matter how you l33t it up, is NOT A SECURE PASSWORD.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 15:19 NewMaxx

Quinn wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 22:07:
The rebellous infantile idea of getting rid of the "holy trinity" (tank, healer, dps) to defy the master of MMO's is just that, an act of childish infancy. What we have now is not tactical combat but lack thereoff; chaos and death.

When I first played, I thought this, too. Then I took a step back and realized the game has only recently been released! There's a million newbs floating around who have no idea what they're doing! Now that I'm more experienced, run with experienced people in my guild, and am exploring the finer mechanics of the gameplay, I realize how wrong that first impression really is. It's not a fault to at first see it as chaotic but I tend to think some people want an excuse to feel that way, or feel that way because it doesn't fit their expectations, some of which are wrong and others that are unrealistic.

In any case, run a dungeon with smart people who know how to use their combos and builds, and you'll see incredible synergy. There's no true trinity, sure, everybody contributes in nuanced ways, but there are definitely combinations (weapons + traits + skills + combos) that lean that way. Actually, I think people are still too newb to appreciate these nuances, as I see so many people who are not even weapon and pet swapping in combat let alone using appropriate weapons for their skills and traits.

For example, I see rangers poo-pahing traps or using them the vanilla WoW way, when there's a major trait that makes them larger and ground targettable (combine that with option to drop on cursor), and traps are excellent combo fields for your finishers (i.e., projectile) if you place them correctly between ranged and target, especially good since that same trait line gives you swiftness and fury on weapon swap, so a longbow rapid fire (esp with zephyr utility skill) can wreck crazy field dmg before a swap to a shortbow to escape; meanwhile, your healing spring can buff the shortbow arrows to regen. Point being that most people just seem to roll their face on the kb, of course it's going to appear chaotic, but to judge the game within the first week by that...get a WoW time machine.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2012, 15:28.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 14:50 PropheT

1AngryGamer wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 11:41:
The guy below is an idiot:

He throws in a bit more hyperbole than is probably warranted, but he's not wrong either.

The graphics aren't outstanding. I play maxed at 2560x1440 and it looks ok, but I've never had a moment that made me really stop and think it was beautiful before.

There are some great areas, though, if you get out of the human starting areas where most people seem to have gone. I'm guessing they developed those areas and humans first, and as other races came along they developed better animations and areas. It's obvious if you've played humans for a while and then switch to a sylvari, for example; the animations are better (a lot better, in some cases), the areas are more fleshed out and complex, and so on.

All in all, it reminds me of Warhammer. A lot. It looks sort of like it, where it was very crisp and detailed but lacking in personality until you get somewhere that's more fantasy than reality where the artwork can really start to shine. Hell, it even plays like Warhammer with the PvE AI turned on (I don't mean that as an insult, I loved Warhammer). Warhammer's graphics weren't incredible, either, but they got the job done and had a style to them that made things stand out.

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 12:47 Dades

You can flame him like a simpleton, but imo WoW's graphics engine does a tonload of a better job in giving the player proper gameplay feedback. Not ONE crit, in WoW, goes unnoticed, for example. Wherein GW2 is exactly like SWToR in that regard.

A large box framed in bright red with huge numbers bolded is pretty hard to miss, that is your own problem. WOW has a combat log too precisely becaues you cannot possibly parse all of the incoming information in a group environment. WOW has a very cartoony engine and stylized graphics, you may prefer it to other games but it doesn't mean GW2 has bad graphics. People aren't generally hostile when someone offers a rational criticism of something instead of THE GRAPHIX SUX, so he's getting what he gave.

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 12:17 Eldaron Imotholin

Those comments!

Idiot, full of shit. Bla bla. Blablabla.

Such hostility. Such a horrible community.

Anyway, I agree firmly with Quinn's opinion that the graphics by far aren't "gorgeous". I don't have an 8-year-old machine, and in fact I'm playing the game maxed out.

Maybe WoW's graphics aren't better, indeed, and that's where he might have been wrong, but they're certainly not worse.

You can flame him like a simpleton, but imo WoW's graphics engine does a tonload of a better job in giving the player proper gameplay feedback. Not ONE crit, in WoW, goes unnoticed, for example. Wherein GW2 is exactly like SWToR in that regard.

I was an unbiased person when I bought and started up GW2, completely unaffected by the hype or fanboism. My verdict is basically the same as that of Quinn's earlier quote. Call me names for it, but the joke's on you.

And, seriously, if his opinion fills you with such an amount of testosteron to call him a troll and other names... then get a life. Cliche remark, I know. But oh so true.

Playing: Skyrim, World of Warcraft.
Future: Dead Space 3.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 11:41 Angrius Maximis

The guy below is an idiot:

Quinn wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 22:07:
I'm not a Guild Wars fan at all. I wasn't when I bought the game and I still am not. In fact, I'm absolutely stunned why the reviews are so horribly possitive about the game while I was shocked the first time I entered the game. It's graphics are even uglier than the almost 8 years old World of Warcraft graphics; the character feels "detached" from the environment and the "Dynamic Events" are an old concept which older games included. The only differense is that GW2 has only that and no real "Quests".

Combat is dynamic but not as the media sells it. "You wanna block? Press the block button." The way that lie is sold is exactly that, a lie. You cannot block unless you use a cooldown and have a shield in your offhand. WoW has this. It's nothing new.

The rebellous infantile idea of getting rid of the "holy trinity" (tank, healer, dps) to defy the master of MMO's is just that, an act of childish infancy. What we have now is not tactical combat but lack thereoff; chaos and death.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST AND WHAT I WANTED TO STATE ORIGINALLY:

Because I'm not a fan and never was, the only time I used a GW2 username and pw was when I first created an account on their site and nowhere else since. I also know how to protect my PC. They can shove the blame on is [the players] but this is, fuck, again an act of infancy.

Luckily my email pw isn't identical to the GW2 pw.. because my email has been spammed with login attempts since day 1 I started playing it.

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 11:35 Marvin T. Martian

fujiJuice wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 21:27:
On a somewhat unrelated note. Both my wife and I about a week ago received emails from ArenaNet saying we requested email changes for our Guild Wars 2 accounts, even though neither one of us has the game. Quite strange.

Ya, I get alot of "BLIZZARD" emails about Dialblo 3 and WoW about my accounts and their info. Never owned or played the games.

And how about naming the 'fan site' so that ALL can avoid it.

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 11:04 HorrorScope

Reikon wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 07:25:
And indeed, Guild Wars 2 does not accept last-pass generated 18+ char full random passwords with symbols on.. why? Because max password length.. is 13 minimal, is 8....

What? Bullshit. I have a 40+ character randomly generated password including symbols as my GW2 password.

For my own knowledge... Since many games aren't adding second level authentication (wrongly), do you simply copy/paste it in or do you have an app that is able to paste it in automatically for these games? I ask because I need to step up my game for these games without a second level authentication method, but I needs something handy to handle something like a 40 character password.

My fav 2nd level authentication method is a pin/w random numpad you click.

Go to 1:40 of this movie to see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLI9bCb3wzo&feature=relmfu

Why can't they all just do something like this? The problem goes away.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2012, 11:13.

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 08:52 eRe4s3r

Then that goes against their own FAQ and what I had to generate 3 years ago  

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 07:25 Reikon

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 06:54 OpticNerve

WyldKat wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 04:47:
Frijoles wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 23:22:
Divinity's Reach is a good example of mind-blowing graphics. Absolutely stunning how alive they made that city feel. If you lower the graphics all the way to the bottom, it does look meh. But on full, there's no MMO that compares to it IMO. It'd do well even in a single-player contest of graphics.

It needs to be said that it's not just the graphics that are spectacular, it's the animation too. For example, look at how your feet and legs adjust to various types of terrain. You can even prop one leg up on a barrel if you want to. There's also cloth and hair animation which you rarely see in an MMO. My norn shield maiden with flowing crimson hair is a sight to behold on the battlefield!

I have to second this. I'm trying to think of other MMOs with better animations but I'm drawing a blank. There's just so many great subtle nuances in the various animations in GW2.

Asurans are the most obvious ones with them looking like they'll topple over from the weight of their heads (ironic really). But even the plain humans have nice details such as how greatswords wobble when you strafe left and right and how their idle animation is weapon-context sensitive such as a greatsword idle animation having your character check the edge of their blade. I especially like how grass and vegetation gets pushed back from the force of certain skills or when you move through them.

There's a lot of really neat stuff if you slow down and take your time to look around.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 04:47 WyldKat

Frijoles wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 23:22:
Divinity's Reach is a good example of mind-blowing graphics. Absolutely stunning how alive they made that city feel. If you lower the graphics all the way to the bottom, it does look meh. But on full, there's no MMO that compares to it IMO. It'd do well even in a single-player contest of graphics.

It needs to be said that it's not just the graphics that are spectacular, it's the animation too. For example, look at how your feet and legs adjust to various types of terrain. You can even prop one leg up on a barrel if you want to. There's also cloth and hair animation which you rarely see in an MMO. My norn shield maiden with flowing crimson hair is a sight to behold on the battlefield!

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 02:59 jacobvandy

Bhruic wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 01:11:
So now that people have had some time to play, how long a game is it? Speaking from a single player perspective, that is. I don't really have any interest in the PvP side of things, and from the sounds of it, there's no much else to do at max level? How long does it take to hit that point?

It would take usually at least 60+ hours to hit the max level with one character and finish your story line, but as mentioned it will scale you down to an appropriate strength for the area you're in. That means you can also run around the rest of the world (other races' starting areas, etc.) and it's still challenging while continuing to reward you at your level. Experience is scaled and so is some of the loot. You continue to gain experience while at 80, so you keep earning skill points which are used as currency for the highest level crafting stuff. I really couldn't say I was "done" with the PVE until I explore 100% of the world and complete all the story-related instanced dungeons (every 10 levels starting at 30).

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 02:57 NegaDeath

Creston wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 02:49:
I just f*cking wish they'd turn on the auction house. I'm sitting on like 500 silver ore I want to sell.

Creston

Works here too, I've made 50 silver selling marked up vendor stuff on the TP today alone. Good times.

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 02:49 Creston

Creston

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 02:08 Flatline

So now that people have had some time to play, how long a game is it? Speaking from a single player perspective, that is. I don't really have any interest in the PvP side of things, and from the sounds of it, there's no much else to do at max level? How long does it take to hit that point?

Probably on the level of an Elder Scrolls game. I've barely left the first biome so far (dipped into the ruins of Ascalon but otherwise stayed in the Viking winter lands) and have played for well over 20 hours.

Even running through early level stuff, you're level scaled, so you always have something to do.

Edit: I had a hacking attempt from Spain of all places in the first week of launch but had email authentication on, and then I switched my password over to a unique password for GW2 alone and haven't had an issue since.

I have, however, seen stripped naked people standing in corners of maps today though, I'm assuming they were hacked.

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 01:19 Dades

The average player? Likely 100+ hours or more. You can get a character to 80 in a really short time period if you know the best ways to level but most people won't do that. The PVP isn't like most traditional MMO PVP I've played, you should give it a chance. I'm enjoying it alot more than I thought I would. There are also dungeons and world events to do at 80.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Password Attacks Sep 8, 2012, 01:11 Bhruic

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo