Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Kotaku - You Shouldn't Have To Be Middle Class or Rich To Make Video Games.
For now, Valve says that Greenlight will continue to evolve. Fantastic. But it's not just Greenlight that needs to change. So, too, does the attitude surrounding who should be making games. Some people do it for the love, and so yes, they're going to keep going at it even though they might not make much of any money. So to tell a developer that they might want to reconsider their passion just because they're not rolling in cash is heartbreaking. They deserve to be here just as much as anyone else, and there's no shortage of things trying to keep them out.

View
13. Re: Op Ed Sep 8, 2012, 13:00 Scottish Martial Arts

You know, aside from a four month temporary project earlier this year, I have been unemployed the past two years -- don't worry: I have a very promising interview for a job next week, that isn't in my field and pays very little, but that I'm almost assured of getting (personal connection) and will be enough to live on. Regardless, $100 dollars is a lot of money to me and right now I wouldn't be able to cough it up. And I still think Kotaku is full of shit. If I really felt my future was in indie game development, I would find a way to save up $100 over the course of a few months even if it started with just spare change, or I would turn to my friends (not my parents: they're even more broke than I am) and appeal to them as microinvestors in the project. $100 dollars is such a small capital investment that this IS an opportunity for the poor and lower class.

Maybe, maybe, some sort of fee waiver is in order. Afterall, the proceeds of the fee are all going to charity, and the purpose of the fee is just to cut down on joke projects, so actually having to present your case in a waiver application would have the same effect. Still, I'm unconvinced that $100 would deter an aspiring developer with true fire in their belly.

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2012, 13:09.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 7, 21:11 Re: Op Ed Bhruic
  2. Sep 7, 21:27  Re: Op Ed NKD
  3. Sep 7, 21:30 Re: Op Ed Sepharo
  4. Sep 7, 22:02 Re: Op Ed jdreyer
  5. Sep 7, 22:06 Re: Op Ed Creston
  6. Sep 7, 22:42 Re: Op Ed Cutter
  7. Sep 7, 23:25  Re: Op Ed Frijoles
  8. Sep 7, 23:25  Re: Op Ed Agent.X7
  9. Sep 8, 00:29  Re: Op Ed space captain
  10. Sep 8, 00:44 Re: Op Ed Rossafur