Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

G4 Makeover Coming?

Variety reports NBCUniversal is planning an "upscale" makeover for G4, their guy-centric cable network that still retains some of its original focus on video games, at least for the moment. They say the latest tweak to the networks brand will take place early next year, and their sources tell them it will take the channel "in a direction reminiscent of GQ" (insert Tom Brady joke here). Their unconfirmed report says this will involve "a more sophisticated look while remaining true to its tech and vid game roots," though many would argue that the channel strayed from those roots years ago with their previous rebranding. Thanks nin via Kotaku.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 8, 2012, 20:32 CythrawL

JediPunisher wrote on Sep 8, 2012, 01:06:
A more sophisticated G4 reminiscent of GQ?
Well, that explains why Adam Sessler left the network…After all, he’s not exactly GQ material. He recently tweeted that he broke his d..k dancing Gangnam style.

Anyways, I think GQ4 is a mistake... I miss TechTV with old favs like The Screen Savers with Leo and Patrick!

Patrick is on Tekzilla twice a week.. Seriously folks, the old TechTV is pretty much Revision3

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 8, 2012, 10:14 Tigger

Parallax Abstraction wrote:
Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.

Hell yeah.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

12. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 8, 2012, 01:06 JediPunisher

A more sophisticated G4 reminiscent of GQ?
Well, that explains why Adam Sessler left the network…After all, he’s not exactly GQ material. He recently tweeted that he broke his d..k dancing Gangnam style.

Anyways, I think GQ4 is a mistake... I miss TechTV with old favs like The Screen Savers with Leo and Patrick!

This comment was edited on Sep 8, 2012, 01:27.

11. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 18:56 Cutter

It always boggles my mind why corporations buy these small companies than change them entirely.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 13:10 Esoteric

Every time I see G4 in the TV listings it's playing 8 hours of Cops.  

9. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 12:59 xXBatmanXx

ViRGE wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 12:43:
Fion wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 12:35:
Did some exec wake up and realize that most gamers aren't 13 anymore?
I'd say it's more like they woke up and realized that rednecks don't have money. G4 isn't juvenile so much as it's a trashy mix of COPS and infomercials.

eh. THe shows suck. Just like everything else game related - it used to be a lot better.

GET OFF MY LAWN!

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

8. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 12:43 ViRGE

Fion wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 12:35:
I'd say it's more like they woke up and realized that rednecks don't have money. G4 isn't juvenile so much as it's a trashy mix of COPS and infomercials.

7. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 12:35 Fion

6. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 11:51 JoeNapalm

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Sep 7, 2012, 09:50:

"Fuckin' A!"

Ninja Warrior is the only thing worth saving...the rest of the network is an infuriating affectation, at best.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

5. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 10:55 Stimpack

This, yes. The only thing that still gets to me is the fact that they act as if it's television for gamers and tech enthusiasts. "remaining true to its tech and video game roots." Seriously? It just pisses me off so bad, lol. Burn this thing to the ground, it's a monstrosity.  

4. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 10:46 TheEmissary

It is a real shame what became of this channel over the years. It used to be really great as ZDTV, it was ok when it was TechTV, then kind of floundered all over the place as G4TV.

They want to make this yet another Guy-Centric cable network don't we already have dozens that no one watches like SpikeTV or all those reality TV channels. Its already bad enough that G4 airs junk programming as it is when it isn't covering videos games.

3. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 10:24 CythrawL

G4??? Whats that???

I have been watching Revision3 TV instead (Tekzilla, Destructoid and many other channles)for FREE... without a Cable Sub..

2. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 10:03 bhcompy

Yea, GQ is the way to go. There are a bunch of totally GQ gamers out there. And the COPS/Ninja Warrior reruns are totally for the GQ crowd.  

1. Re: G4 Makeover Coming? Sep 7, 2012, 09:50 Parallax Abstraction

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo