Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit

Kotaku has a follow-up to Stardock's recent lawsuit against Alexandra Miseta over what the company alleges was its former marketing manager's role in the shortcomings of Elemental: War of Magic. They have court documents showing that before being sued herself, Miseta had already brought her own lawsuit against Stardock CEO Brad Wardell for sexual harassment, retaliation, and wrongful termination, and that Stardock's lawsuit came three weeks after a judge denied their request to dismiss her case. In addition to details from the sexual harassment case, they offer accounts from an anonymous alleged former Stardock employees refuting the idea that Miseta was responsible for Elemental's failure. They say Wardell has not yet responded to their request for comment on this.

View
162 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

42. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:23 Flatline

Also, if you want to read the complaint, it's here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/105042009/Complaint-and-Summons-12-30-10

There's 89 different allegations. That's a hell of a lot of systematic baseless creativity on her part.

I imagine Wardell honestly doesn't believe he committed sexual harassment. Most of the time, the harasser doesn't believe they're creating a hostile work environment.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

41. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:22 ASeven

I wouldn't be surprised if his lawyers quit on him since he keeps digging the hole deeper in the forums. Holy shit that's a great way to destroy your own defense.  

40. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:14 Flatline

Elricsi wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:57:
Don't dip you pen in the company ink.

P.S. As far as I understand, suggestive comments and jokes may be OK, but if an employee makes any kind of complaint about it, then you have to stop immediately.

From witnessing it in corporate America, the *company* is okay in that scenario, and ensures it is okay in that scenario by firing you for sexual harassment, or sending you to "sensitivity training" and making you apologize publicly for your words/deeds/actions.

Leave that sh*t at home or as inner-monologue.

39. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 16:08 Draugr

The fact that he is on a forum providing more evidence is pretty hilarious.  

38. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:57 Elricsi

Don't dip you pen in the company ink.

P.S. As far as I understand, suggestive comments and jokes may be OK, but if an employee makes any kind of complaint about it, then you have to stop immediately.

37. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:55 space captain

pretty standard behavior from a fundamentalist republican moron

its happened plenty of times before, i knew a chick that went thru the same thing

Go forth, and kill!

36. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:54 MoreLuckThanSkill

CDWarden wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:44:
When did Ironclad split from Stardock? Everything I Google on Sins shows that even the most recent release (Rebellion) is a Stardock/Ironclad collaboration.

When I read this, I got that sinking feeling. I loaded up Rebellion, and sure enough, you are right, the splash page for Stardock is also in Rebellion.

Since Rebellion was off Impulse, I was erroneously convinced that they were split from Stardock finally. I am not sure what the nature of the relationship is, funding/publishing on some level apparently, but it's still there. Ugh. They have only abandoned Impulse as a delivery service, it seems.

35. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:44 CDWarden

When did Ironclad split from Stardock? Everything I Google on Sins shows that even the most recent release (Rebellion) is a Stardock/Ironclad collaboration.  

34. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:40 Cutter

Sounds like exactly like what a shrub lover like Wardell would do. Hope he gets the shit sued out of him.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:39 Dades

Still, Miseta will probably be found liable in some way for deleting the files, that's retaliation no matter what was done to her before, and affected a lot more people than just Wardell.

He has to prove it first and according to submissions at least some Stardock employees don't agree with his take on it. My personal take is that I find it extremely difficult to believe that this woman had the kind of access required to delete her user account, the on-site backups and the off-site backups. A software company in business for over a decade will have been burned once and have backups. She was a marketing person who didn't have much ability to directly affect the development of scrap heap that was Elemental. The timing of their suit, after Brad already took personal responsibility for what a mess the game was and after the game has been out for so long is highly questionable. Most people said it was probably a retaliatory suit in response to sexual harassment and on the surface that is exactly what it appears to be.

32. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:35 NegaDeath

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:32:
I am even more pleased now that Ironclad(the makers of Sins of a Solar Empire series) broke away from Impulse/Stardock, even though they chose to go to Steam instead. Ideally they could have gone to gog.com, but oh well. Good enough.

Wardell sounds like a jackass in the forum link, what a shame. Still, Miseta will probably be found liable in some way for deleting the files, that's retaliation no matter what was done to her before, and affected a lot more people than just Wardell.

Unfortunately Stardock still has Galciv, which I adore. At the rate they're imploding I'm wondering if the series is finished.

31. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:32 MoreLuckThanSkill

I am even more pleased now that Ironclad(the makers of Sins of a Solar Empire series) broke away from Impulse/Stardock, even though they chose to go to Steam instead. Ideally they could have gone to gog.com, but oh well. Good enough.

Wardell sounds like a jackass in the forum link, what a shame. Still, Miseta will probably be found liable in some way for deleting the files, that's retaliation no matter what was done to her before, and affected a lot more people than just Wardell.

30. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:30 Beelzebud

Seems to me like it would be an honor to get on that "dumb ass list", considering the "dumb ass" is absolutely correct.  

29. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:29 Dades

The moron is over on another forum defending his behavior, incredible. He broke multiple sexual harassment laws and now admitted it several times in a public forum, his lawyers must be hating him. There are a half dozen different threatening workplace and sexual harassment violations in the emails alone.

The ability to earn a living in an environment without prejudice, threat or harassment is considered a human right and is actual law in most modern countries and societies.

28. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:24 Minuit

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:11:
Human rights law. Oookay, Teddy. Keep huffing the glue, buddy. Every single one of your posts becomes fucking dumber and dumber, so now you go on the dumbass list.

Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act 453 of 1976 as Amended by Public Act 202 of 1980:

Sec 103(h) Discrimination because of sex includes sexual harassment which means unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct or communication of a sexual nature when:

(i) Submission to such conduct or communication is made a term or condition either explicitly or implicitly to obtain employment, public accommodations or public services, education, or housing.

(ii) Submission to or rejection of such conduct or communication by an individual is used as a factor in decisions affecting such individual's employment, public accommodations or public services, education, or housing.

(iii) Such conduct or communication has the purpose or effect of substantially interfering with an individual's employment, public accommodations or public services, education, or housing; or creating an intimidating, hostile, or offensive employment, public accommodations, public services, education, or housing environment.

Translating that into plain English, telling someone who works for you "Tits or GTFO" is against the law in Michigan.

27. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:20 NegaDeath

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:09:
Have a look at this delicious forum thread where Wardell decides to set the record straight. This guy is a few beers short of a 6-pack. I'll bet his lawyers love him right about now.

When you find yourself in a hole: STOP DIGGING

He just keeps digging that hole deeper. The one commenter on there is right, his lawyers are going to kill him for publicly discussing his ongoing case on an open forum.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 15:36.

26. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:16 Dades

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:11:
Human rights law. Oookay, Teddy. Keep huffing the glue, buddy. Every single one of your posts becomes fucking dumber and dumber, so now you go on the dumbass list.

Creston

He's right though, read up on the Civil Rights Act which spells out explicit policy against workplace sexual harassment, not to mention numerous state level labor law provisions. Being owner of a company does not matter. Just sending an employee emails like that violates labor law in likely every state, the rest of it is just adding to the pile. Being the owner of a company actually gives you significantly less freedom in this regard compared to an employee. It can be a predatory position where professional power is used as leverage, as it likely was here.

25. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:14 Warskull

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 14:42:
Tumbler wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 14:40:
A company that size should have maybe tried one new IP or possibly focus'd on improving existing IP like Sins or Galactic Civ 2. Instead they jumped head on into Elemental and Demigod (I believe) and possibly others we never heard about with no concern for how those products would sell. Maybe there was more work being done on demigod and they canned that team or perhaps they just got rid of the elemental team and put the remaining funds into Sins Rebellion? The sale of impulse must have freed up some funds and maybe that is why we're seeing elemental and Sins Rebellion now.

Stardock didn't fund either Demigod or Sins. They just published them.

Creston

Stardock did the netcode for Demigod, which was its greatest failing. A huge chunk of the responsibility for Demigod's atrocious state at release belongs squarely on the shoulders of Stardock.

24. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:11 Creston

Teddy wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:05:
Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 14:24:
nice...
One thing I do agree with, however, is that since he owns the company, he can pretty much do whatever he wants to in it (within legal boundaries, of course.) It is NOT against the law to make vulgar jokes that make people uncomfortable, despite all the efforts of the US to apparently make it so.

I don't know what hole you're living in, but where I'm from it absolutely IS illegal, regardless of whether your company is publicly traded or not. It's a violation of human rights law, not employment law.

Further, if it -were- legal to do what he did, then the judge would not have refused to toss the case when Wardell tried to get them to do so. Frankly, I think you're operating on an ancient and idiotic supposition that will get you sued one day, and rightfully so.

Creston

23. Re: Sexual Harassment Lawsuit Preceded Elemental Lawsuit Sep 6, 2012, 15:09 Beelzebud

Have a look at this delicious forum thread where Wardell decides to set the record straight. This guy is a few beers short of a 6-pack. I'll bet his lawyers love him right about now.

When you find yourself in a hole: STOP DIGGING

162 Replies. 9 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo