Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 7, 2012, 14:26 avianflu

entirely agree. I had 2 early 360's go red and then one of those died again. I will not be buying first gen. I can wait the 12 months  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 7, 2012, 08:58 Verno

I got burned x3 on the RROD and Microsoft long ago stopped giving actual value for the XBL fees IMHO, no 360 equivalent for me next gen. It doesn't matter how many devs they bribe in the first few years, I know it'll taper off into Halo, DLC deals and stupid Windows 8 apps eventually. For better or for worse, Sony all the way.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 7, 2012, 05:49 Julio

effbee wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 20:15:
I think they learned their lesson with that 1.something billion dollar warranty extension thing.

They didn't learn anything. My RROD warranty replacement 360 was a refurbished piece of junk that died just after 90 days (which was all they would replace it for).

PS4 all the way for me!

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 22:25 Dades

Beamer wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 21:41:
Yes, you should be very surprised. Given the bad PR of the 360, how well they eventually fixed the problem (not how quickly)

That's some sugar coating if I've ever seen it. They denied it up and down for years and it took them over three years to fix the problem. They didn't do anything well, they did what they were required to do before the public went nuts. Their write down was worth a lot less than the market share they gained. There is no reason to believe they wouldn't rush to market again, they still have the exact same competitors. Buyer beware indeed.

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 21:41 Beamer

Trevellian wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:30:
Am I supposed to be surprised that Microsoft is going to release another halfassed console that will have to be replaced 3 times by a majority of people who purchase it? It's easier to pad sales with the ones who are too lazy to call customer service that way.

Yes, you should be very surprised. Given the bad PR of the 360, how well they eventually fixed the problem (not how quickly), and that the 360 was a huge rush and the 720 should not be a rush at all, you should be shocked and appalled if it happens again.

Which isn't to say there isn't a bit of buyer beware, but I would never point and laugh and call someone a dumbass for getting burned again. I get why Microsoft messed the last one up and I see the effort they made to correct it (not make it right with buyers, but correct the actual defect in the hardware.)

People should be wary, but they shouldn't be buying with an expectation of having to buy again. If Microsoft messes this up it's wholly on them, not the consumer (as some people will inevitably say "you knew you'd get this.")

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 20:15 effbee

Well the 360 was rushed to market to beat the PS3 launch and they cut some serious corners. I've had two Fat 360's RRoD and my Slim hasn't had any problems. I think they learned their lesson with that 1.something billion dollar warranty extension thing.

I have a v1.0 Xbox1 that was still working fine last time I powered it up.

My 80GB Fat PS3 Red Screened about a month before the warranty was up so it got replaced and is still running fine.

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 19:58 Hyatus

The 360 I've got RRODs all the time, but the towel trick seems to work(after using different heat sink compound and the penny trick).

On the other hand, I had a PS3 YLOD on me a year ago(60gb launch) and bought another on ebay(another 60gb launch with a broken bluray drive which I swapped from the first one) which YLOD two days ago, but thankfully turns on again after I let it sit(still haven't tried any games).

My Wii works great, though. No problems whatsoever.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 17:07 Trevellian

Julio wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 16:35:
avianflu wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 10:33:
seems like a bad idea to buy a first gen console of any brand.

Especially from Microsoft given their terrible product quality on the 360. I had two 360s that died within a year. Both my PS3s have had zero issues.

I had an original shipment PS3 (60gb, Emotion engine, the good shit) I had put a 250gb harddrive in it. It lasted from day 1, until a month ago, with seriously heavy usage as I have a large collection of Blu Rays and games. In the meantime. I went through 2 Xbox 360's myself, after the 2nd one died I refused to buy another. And I know a co worker who went through FOUR 360's, and is also still on his first PS3.

Microsoft's craftsmanship with their console was horrible.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 16:35 Julio

avianflu wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 10:33:

Especially from Microsoft given their terrible product quality on the 360. I had two 360s that died within a year. Both my PS3s have had zero issues.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 16:24 ASeven

The more things I hear about the next consoles the more I am convinced the 720 and PS4 will be to the 360 and PS3 what the WiiU is to the Wii. That is, the jump in technology won't be that big.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 15:30 Trevellian

Am I supposed to be surprised that Microsoft is going to release another halfassed console that will have to be replaced 3 times by a majority of people who purchase it? It's easier to pad sales with the ones who are too lazy to call customer service that way.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 14:51 Creston

DG wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 13:05:
WHy are they talking about processor "quality" when their source article makes it very clear the problem is the usual yields issue?

It would be very easy to sceptically suggest they are trying to create a stir based on the RRoD fiasco.

I'm not sure that "horrid" describes a "usual yield issue." If their current acceptable yield is at 20-30% (made up, but that'd qualify for "horrid" status in my book), then it's not that hard to see why they'd be delaying.

After the Xbox360 bullshit, even IF I ever bought another MS console, I'll wait a few years so they can actually start shipping units that don't die in six fucking months. Sadly, plenty of "bros" will gobble up the 720 like hotcakes to all but assure that MS continues to not give a flying fuck about build quality of its hardware.

Creston

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 14:24 Fantaz

DG wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 13:05:
WHy are they talking about processor "quality" when their source article makes it very clear the problem is the usual yields issue?

It would be very easy to sceptically suggest they are trying to create a stir based on the RRoD fiasco.

Looks like i am buying a PS4

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 13:05 DG

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 11:12 Matshock

Huh- previous reports were of an Intel CPU. Intel in the XBOX, IBM in the 360 and AMD in the 720?

I'm gonna wait for confirmation on this one.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 10:33 avianflu

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 6, 2012, 10:25 John

Delayed? I wasn't expecting it to come out until Christmas 2013 or 2014 anyways.  
This space is available for rent

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo