Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not

"We are very proud of the way EA evolved with consumers. I have not green lit one game to be developed as a single player experience. Today, all of our games include online applications and digital services that make them live 24/7/365." -- Frank Gibeau, President, EA Labels. Thanks supererogatory via Destructoid. Frank walks back from that in a follow-up on Kotaku, where explains that these aren't the droids we're looking for: "I still passionately believe in single-player games and think we should build them. What I was trying to suggest with my comments was that as we move our company from being a packaged goods, fire-and-forget business to a digital business that has a service component to it. That's business-speak for I want to have a business that's alive and evolves and changes over time'."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 18:26 Quinn

Fyi... for foreign speaking people like myself, his comments make no sense at all. I often think I have to chew a bit on nonsense for it to become sense. I realize that that alone often gives the speaker of the nonsense too much credit.

People are, generally, just freaking dumb and stupid. Even most CEO's and Presidents. There's wisdom in that simple realization.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 17:39 Prez

Creston wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 15:07:
Bhruic wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 01:26:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:28:
Relevant Ars article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/sharing-your-simcity-with-others/

Holy fucking shit. From the article:

The developers are adamant that they'll be putting backstops in place to prevent those kind of day one issues, but said that if it becomes a problem they could briefly allow people to play offline while things get fixed.

So they are putting in an online requirement, but they admit that it's entirely possible to play the game offline. At least Blizzard claimed (rightly or wrongly) that they couldn't remove the online component because it was integrated into the game. EA is flat-out stating that they could allow the ability to play offline. If they weren't dicks.

Yep. PC players demonstrated to EA that they will happily put up with always-on bullshit, so EA is going that route. They won't be the last to follow either.

PC Gamers: Reap/sow/etc.

Creston

Of course, EA doesn't have anything with the brand recognition and loyalty that the Diablo name had prior to Diablo 3's release in the PC space. Notice I said "prior to" - I suspect the bloom has come off that particular rose for a lot of people once people actually saw how badly Blizzard fucked it up, but that's another discussion.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

29. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 15:07 Creston

Bhruic wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 01:26:
Relevant Ars article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/06/sharing-your-simcity-with-others/

The developers are adamant that they'll be putting backstops in place to prevent those kind of day one issues, but said that if it becomes a problem they could briefly allow people to play offline while things get fixed.

So they are putting in an online requirement, but they admit that it's entirely possible to play the game offline. At least Blizzard claimed (rightly or wrongly) that they couldn't remove the online component because it was integrated into the game. EA is flat-out stating that they could allow the ability to play offline. If they weren't dicks.

Yep. PC players demonstrated to EA that they will happily put up with always-on bullshit, so EA is going that route. They won't be the last to follow either.

PC Gamers: Reap/sow/etc.

Creston

28. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 10:35 avianflu

EA makes itself less and less relevant to gamers.  

27. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 09:19 Verno

It's basically not possible to build a self sufficient city. You must trade traffic, resources, etc. with neighbors who will be other players. If you're familiar with the genre of browser games where you trade resources, build armies, decide who to engage, etc I assume it's like that.

That's been really bugging me, particularly since they initially said you could play offline then reversed themselves. The excuse I always hear from people is that its a social thing that I don't get but I'm a huge social gamer, there are just some types of games you don't really need to socialize in. SimCity is all about creating complex cities and destroying to me, I have no interest in being a good neighbor to the Human Resources guy or whatever. I just want my crazy ass setup which I will then tornado into oblivion.

It's the McKorven Diablo 3 bullshit all over. "ITS A DESIGN CHOICE!!!!" What design choice? It's done arbitrarily for financial reasons, there is no legitimate reason they couldn't allow the player a toggle that they have already admitted exists.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 09:26.

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

26. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 08:24 Mr. Tact

It's basically not possible to build a self sufficient city. You must trade traffic, resources, etc. with neighbors who will be other players.
Wow. That isn't SimCity. SimCity is entirely about making a self sufficient, growing city. Idiots.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

25. Re: SP FTW! Sep 6, 2012, 07:39 Julio

Well EA, given I much prefer single player experiences that could be why I don't give you much money anymore. Come to think of it, nobody is giving you much money anymore which could be why you're in financial trouble.

Keep ignoring single player and you won't have a business that's alive.

To the companies that are filling the single player experience gap - keep it up and you'll do well.

24. SP FTW! Sep 6, 2012, 05:40 Ant

EA sucks. I prefer SP more than MP (Co-Op especially).  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

23. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 03:07 InBlack

Fantaz wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:00:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 20:47:
looking at what they're doing with C&C Generals 2 it seems that they hate single-player games.

some games don't benefit from single-player, battlefield for example.

WTF have they done, making Generals 2 F2P...

Dont you mean Pay2Win? Just like the US elections...

I have a nifty blue line!

22. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 03:06 Fantaz

RailWizard wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:13:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:42:
Unfortunately SimCity is forced multiplayer, cloud saves, etc.

Hoping they'll change their minds on that or, if it's not actually the case, definitively clear it up.

Simcity is multiplayer now? How the hell does that work? Damn some things have changed while I've been busy ignoring them...lol.

It's basically not possible to build a self sufficient city. You must trade traffic, resources, etc. with neighbors who will be other players. If you're familiar with the genre of browser games where you trade resources, build armies, decide who to engage, etc I assume it's like that.

Will it be possible lets say to play Sim City on a laptop without any internet connection nearby? Because you know, people will probably want to play Sim City on their laptop.

21. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 02:53 PropheT

Since EA primarily focuses on the Xbox crowd and that group flips their shit if a game doesn't have multiplayer, it's probably just good business for them.

I like single player games far better than multi, and rarely even bother with the multiplayer component of games with both, but when every single review you see for a single-player only game whines about how it's not worth $60 because its longevity is impacted by lack of multiplayer publishers aren't going to normally release things without it. Most don't even bother to ask if it's worthwhile, just check the box for value if it's present.

20. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 02:35 Azriel

Since DA2, I have not bought anything from EA, Its like everything I hate, they embrace and everything I love, they take out. EA doesn't make games for me, So why would I buy any games from them? I hope EA crashes bad, I want them gone and hopefully bought out by a company with basic common sense on what the customers want.  

19. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 01:57 Prez

El Pit wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 23:34:
Except for very few exceptions (e.g. Guild Wars 1/2), I play single-player games only. Therefore, my dear EA, no single-player, no sale. It's up to you. Oh, and if you actually wanted to say "we'll force online components into our games to justify always-on drm" , then it's no sale, too.

Same here, only I don't play GW2. I did play GW, entirely as a singleplayer game thank you very much.

It's entirely EA's prerogative to make the games they want to make. But if they stop making singleplayer games without always-online bullshit requirements then I stop being a customer. Simple.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

18. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 01:26 Bhruic

17. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 6, 2012, 00:56 RailWizard

Hoping they'll change their minds on that or, if it's not actually the case, definitively clear it up.

Simcity is multiplayer now? How the hell does that work? Damn some things have changed while I've been busy ignoring them...lol.

hmm that sounds....annoying. heh. And no I am not familiar with that 'genre' at all.

16. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 5, 2012, 23:34 El Pit

Except for very few exceptions (e.g. Guild Wars 1/2), I play single-player games only. Therefore, my dear EA, no single-player, no sale. It's up to you. Oh, and if you actually wanted to say "we'll force online components into our games to justify always-on drm" , then it's no sale, too.  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

15. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 5, 2012, 22:30 Fletch

Well, I hate EA games, so... wash.  

14. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 5, 2012, 22:28 Sepharo

13. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 5, 2012, 22:26 Bhruic

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:27:
I think this was just a foot in mouth kind of thing. Poorly worded, as EA has several high profile upcoming games that are largely single player (even if they have unnecessary multiplayer added): Dead Space 3, Sims, SimCity, and Crysis 3, among others.

Well, no, the "unnecessary multiplayer" is exactly what he was talking about. He's not going to green light any game that is entirely single player. Some form of multiplayer, or "social gaming" must be shoehorned in. Otherwise it's a no-go. That's the big EA kick at that moment (and sadly evidenced in the changes to Steam, although at least there it's still optional), this insistence on trying to make everything about gaming a social activity.

Basically, EA is trying to crowdsource advertisement. If they can force you to hock their games to all your friends, that's less advertisement they have to do themselves (and more effective too). The downside is that it's still, in the end, a form of advertisement, which is damned annoying.

12. Re: Quoteworthy - EA Hates Single-Player Games, Or Not Sep 5, 2012, 22:23 Scud

Translation: We'd really like it if our business evolved to the point where our customers were paying 24/7/365, we want to make the idea of software as a service a reality. Always online and DRM were all just a means to that end, and it's an end we'll keep pursing until we're successful or we crash and burn the industry.  

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo