Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Metaverse

View
19. Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. Sep 6, 2012, 11:03 hb3d

Verno wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 10:48:
9 million dollars is for the whole project, not just one aspect of it. Payroll, their initial buy-in with a manufacturer, marketing, website development, platform development, everything.
First, that's eight million dollars more than they think they needed. Second, some of those things simply aren't necessary or can be done on the cheap. For example right now the company has all of the marketing it needs for free.

People have done more with less and less with more, I'm not as optimistic about it as you are apparently but time will tell.
I'm not optimistic that Ouya will be a success according to everyone's unrealistic expectations. I know that it won't be because it can't be. They are just too high. I am simply optimistic that the company will ship a cheap Android box and controller as I have described in this thread with a website to download Android games or a tie-in to an existing Android marketplace. It's won't be a scam in that respect.

Naming one game does not invalidate my point.
There are more. I just selected a high profile example.

Most Android games are built for touchscreen controls, not gamepads.
All you have to do is remap the controls for most games. This isn't rocket-science where the game has to be redesigned to accomodate it. All or most of the many console-style racing, arcade, and shooter games for Android could be played with a gamepad. An external shim could even be built to allow such remapping without having access to the game code at all. Such shims already exist on the PC to use gamepad for games which don't natively support them. I have played plenty of Android games on the PC right now using Bluestacks, so I know that this works.

Compatibility is not all they need
Compatibility with Google Play and Amazon Marketplace is all they need to have a catalog of games to be successful. If the box has a Tegra 3 in it, it will have the power to run everything that is out right now. As long as the box is recognized as a Android device on Google Play and Amazon, there will be plenty of games for it.

Anyways as I've illustrated, people are skeptical for several legitimate reasons
Most of the people aren't skeptical for legitimate reasons. They are skeptical for unrealistic expectations. As I have demonstrated so long as you don't mistakenly believe Ouya is going to be a traditional game console, you won't be disappointed.

I'm assuming their plan is to profit from game sales like a traditional console so that's again an area where I'm left wondering how they'll be sustainable.
I expect what they will do is try to sign as many independent Android game developers as they can to offer their games through the Ouya website just like the indie bundle people on the PC do it. And, as a backup they will probably also resell Google Play and/or Amazon Marketplace games through their website to get a small piece of that action. I also expect that they will get a cut of the free-to-play microtransactions from the games they offer.

This comment was edited on Sep 6, 2012, 11:20.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Sep 5, 20:55 Re: Evening Metaverse Creston
  2. Sep 5, 21:03  Re: Evening Metaverse ASeven
  3. Sep 5, 21:05   Re: Evening Metaverse nin
  4. Sep 5, 21:07    Re: Evening Metaverse Beamer
  5. Sep 5, 21:36    Re: Evening Metaverse jdreyer
  8. Sep 5, 22:48     Re: Evening Metaverse Tom
  9. Sep 5, 23:11      Re: Evening Metaverse jacobvandy
  6. Sep 5, 22:28    Re: Evening Metaverse John
  7. Sep 5, 22:31     Re: Evening Metaverse Sepharo
  10. Sep 6, 00:22   Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. hb3d
  13. Sep 6, 09:36    Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. Verno
  15. Sep 6, 10:21     Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. hb3d
  16. Sep 6, 10:30      Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. Verno
  17. Sep 6, 10:41       Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. hb3d
  18. Sep 6, 10:48        Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. Verno
>> 19. Sep 6, 11:03         Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. hb3d
  21. Sep 6, 15:22      Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. Creston
  23. Sep 18, 00:25       Re: Ouya is not a scam, but it's not much either. hb3d
  11. Sep 6, 03:18 Google Doodles jdreyer
  12. Sep 6, 07:43  Re: Google Doodles Julio
  14. Sep 6, 10:09 Re: Evening Metaverse HorrorScope
  20. Sep 6, 11:36 Re: Evening Metaverse Verno
  22. Sep 18, 00:17  Re: Evening Metaverse hb3d

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo