Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: etc., etc. Sep 7, 2012, 13:11 baltar

"Paranoia reigns. Not just in the office politics sense and the "project is controlled 5,000 miles away" sense but there are security cameras everywhere (hallways, break rooms, etc.) and multiple security doors to pass through everywhere. To go from my desk to the bathroom and back, I had to go through four security doors, using my keycard to unlock each; to go the the break room and back, it was six security doors. Insane."

Wow, explains why Ubisoft is always shoving DRM up the consumer's ass every time..

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2012, 16:14 cento

Been in the game industry for 17 years now, through ups and downs, but I can't imagine doing anything else.

In the end, I think many of us find it is part of who we are rather than what we do. I would be designing games even if I wasn't hired to do so. Hell, I _was_ designing games before I was hired to do so - not because I thought it would lead to a job (I honestly fell into it as a profession), but because it is just something I do and have always done, like an artist or musician.

I consider myself lucky to get paid to do what I do, even with the crunches and bad cycles and everything else.I can't imagine working a normal desk job. It makes me cringe.

As far as the "reviews" on Glassdoor? No thanks. It stinks of the old Fatbabies discontent to me. Many of those people are the same people that would be angry no matter where they worked...

14. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2012, 08:27 Lokust

The Activision one sounds pretty accurate based on what a friend over there described to me.  

13. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2012, 07:08 ASeven

I keep telling, the gaming industry is one of the most brutal work environments out there.  

12. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2012, 05:18 Prez

PropheT wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 03:02:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:31:
Yeah it happens everywhere. Though to be honest, in a down turn economy, there's no such thing as normal. Every company will push what they couldn't get away with 5-6 years before hand because there is a glut of employees out there who will take the job if you quit.

My place of employment cut jobs because of the downturn when it first started (amid profits and expected growth I might add). Then they realized that they could just work us harder with less staff and make/save more money that way, and hey, people aren't going to quit when jobs are scarce, right? So basically, for the last three years they've been making more money by working less of us harder.

Same thing where my brother works, same thing where my dad works, all different industries. The companies are doing great by not hiring, and they're retaining workers because nobody wants to leave when there isn't any guarantee of where to go.

Long story short, I've never worked in a shittier environment than this business model creates for employees. Even the people who don't complain about their job hate coming in every day when it's like this, and even the most gung-ho yes men hate their bosses because of it.

It sounds like you could work where I work. Which again proves it's harder than ever to find an employer that doesn't treat the employee badly. Hence, people stay where they are.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: etc., etc. Sep 6, 2012, 03:02 PropheT

Yeah it happens everywhere. Though to be honest, in a down turn economy, there's no such thing as normal. Every company will push what they couldn't get away with 5-6 years before hand because there is a glut of employees out there who will take the job if you quit.

My place of employment cut jobs because of the downturn when it first started (amid profits and expected growth I might add). Then they realized that they could just work us harder with less staff and make/save more money that way, and hey, people aren't going to quit when jobs are scarce, right? So basically, for the last three years they've been making more money by working less of us harder.

Same thing where my brother works, same thing where my dad works, all different industries. The companies are doing great by not hiring, and they're retaining workers because nobody wants to leave when there isn't any guarantee of where to go.

Long story short, I've never worked in a shittier environment than this business model creates for employees. Even the people who don't complain about their job hate coming in every day when it's like this, and even the most gung-ho yes men hate their bosses because of it.

10. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 23:20 Mashiki Amiketo

Sepharo wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:43:
My company has been struggling to fill the desks, just not enough devs to go around.
Good heads up and interesting. I know a few people who were working at RIM who are out of work. I'll pass that along, housing in Windsor is dirt cheap right now and I know they'd have no problems moving and cross-border commuting. They already have their NEXUS cards.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 22:43 Sepharo

Except software developers in Metro Detroit.
Dan Gilbert's fault

My company has been struggling to fill the desks, just not enough devs to go around.

8. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 22:41 Kitkoan

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:35:
Wow, the Codemasters CEO got a 0% rating. Ouch. They do tend to ship pretty awesome games, IMO.

Odd that Epic Games wasn't in the article.

Neither was ArenaNet, makers of the Guild Wars series. (NC Soft is just the publisher, not the maker).

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

7. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 22:35 jdreyer

Wow, the Codemasters CEO got a 0% rating. Ouch. They do tend to ship pretty awesome games, IMO.

Odd that Epic Games wasn't in the article.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 22:31 Mashiki Amiketo

jdreyer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:46:
I love to cook, but I'd never be a chef. Likewise, I love playing games, but I would never want to be involved in making them, unless I did it as a hobby. It would just take all the fun out of it.
Hah I dated a girl back a bunch of years ago who had done training in Swiss, Italian and Japanese. She could cook stuff that would make your brain melt for it's deliciousness. When she quit working in it, you know what her words were? "This job is nothing but a sweat shop, I hate working 14 hour days, and I hate this entire fucking industry."

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

5. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 21:57 Kitkoan

Prez wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:47:
It never ceases to amaze me why people continue to work in gaming with how shabbily they're treated.

That used to be my reaction to why employees who were very obviously disgruntled and unhappy with their current employer in all types of business. Then I came to realize that often these disgruntled workers have worked other places that treated them just as badly. By changing jobs they just switched out one set of assholes for a fresh batch. In short, that disgruntled guy or gal at work who always complains about the job but never quits has probably decided that as much as it sucks working where they are switching jobs is just an exercise in futility.

I think that when you work for enough crappy employers you begin to think that all jobs are the same - that they all treat their employees like shit, and thus decide to just suck it up and stay where you are. The real shame is that more and more, these people seem to be right - the list of employers that genuinely try to do right by their workers seems to get shorter every year.

Its because it costs money to make an employee happy, and businesses keep trying to find more ways to save money. I see it in my job and others, its not what you know its who's ass you kiss and how many others you can keep down that threaten your raising through the ranks.

I've worked for good bosses and horrible bosses. Companies with good bosses are small businesses that can have future issues with growth and possible existence, asshole businesses are the ones who succeed because they promote cut-throat people who have no morals and they use it to their advantages against their employees cost-benefit ratio and how to go against competition.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

4. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 21:47 Prez

It never ceases to amaze me why people continue to work in gaming with how shabbily they're treated.

That used to be my reaction to why employees who were very obviously disgruntled and unhappy with their current employer in all types of business. Then I came to realize that often these disgruntled workers have worked other places that treated them just as badly. By changing jobs they just switched out one set of assholes for a fresh batch. In short, that disgruntled guy or gal at work who always complains about the job but never quits has probably decided that as much as it sucks working where they are switching jobs is just an exercise in futility and more trouble than it's worth.

I think that when you work for enough crappy employers you begin to think that all jobs are the same - that they all treat their employees like shit, and thus decide to just suck it up and stay where you are. The real shame is that more and more, these people seem to be right - the list of employers that genuinely try to do right by their workers seems to get shorter every year.

I work for an absolutely terrible company that treats its employees like dirt, but given my job description and responsibilities I can mostly stay out of the path of the assholes I work for, and the money is damn good, so I stick it out.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2012, 21:54.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 21:46 jdreyer

Here';s the Bliz comment:

"Blizzard is a sweat-shop, I feel sorry for anyone that has to work there," written by a former employee at Blizzard's Irvine HQ on August 19, 2008.

This is verbatim what a former Bliz employee said when he came to work for us a couple of years ago. He was just tired of the 14 hour days, and his wife just had a baby, so he wanted something more normal.

I love to cook, but I'd never be a chef. Likewise, I love playing games, but I would never want to be involved in making them, unless I did it as a hobby. It would just take all the fun out of it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

2. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 21:30 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 21:24:
It never ceases to amaze me why people continue to work in gaming with how shabbily they're treated. It simply isn't worth it.

Without a doubt! Go with what seems like a "boring" corporate job. You will appreciate the time you get to spend with your family/spouse/SO, you will appreciate the job you'll hold longer than a year and, most of all, you won't deal with immature pricks with narcissistic personality disorder. The people in the trenches are usually cool people but, quite honestly, as one of those people in the trenches, you'll never be recognized, you'll never be praised and by the time you get done working on a game from anywhere between 3 to 5 years, you won't ever want to look at it again.

1. Re: etc., etc. Sep 5, 2012, 21:24 Cutter

Great selection of reviews from Glassdoor. It never ceases to amaze me why people continue to work in gaming with how shabbily they're treated. It simply isn't worth it. It's also very telling how every company covered is just lambasted and virtually identical in the same old problems, yet Valve comes out shining.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo