Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans

A new Developer Journal on the Diablo III Website talks about work going into the upcoming version 1.0.5 patch for Diablo III, discussing plans to change how crowd control effects work at higher difficulty levels in the action/RPG sequel. This outlines the reasons these effects are diminished as you progress in the game, but also how there is a certain dissatisfaction in how this makes one's character feel weaker as it progresses, and they provide graphs showing how higher level characters tend to drop such effects from their builds. They list various proposed ways to change this that all have downsides before describing the solution they arrived at with the assistance of developers from the StarCraft II and World of Warcraft development teams that involves giving monsters a crowd control resistance stat that builds when CC effects are applied and ebbs when they are not, offering examples of how this will operate.

View
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

34. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 6, 2012, 16:25 RailWizard

Darks wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 09:53:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 00:58:
merloid wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 22:25:
Wow. This smells like it's because a pair of monks stunlocked Diablo to death and someone got a little sore about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmxXv1R7VNA

I'm a little astonished by how many knee-jerk development decisions Blizzard is making with this title post-launch.

Surprise level: Zero.

nope, you have to read their comments, they were using the legendary weapon called Sledge Fist.

It has a proc that can stun, they wwre stun locking him down because of the weapon.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sledge-fist

Ahh. Well judging by the comments on that weapon, I sense a nerf in it's future.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

33. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 6, 2012, 09:53 Darks

RailWizard wrote on Sep 6, 2012, 00:58:
Wow. This smells like it's because a pair of monks stunlocked Diablo to death and someone got a little sore about it.

I'm a little astonished by how many knee-jerk development decisions Blizzard is making with this title post-launch.

nope, you have to read their comments, they were using the legendary weapon called Sledge Fist.

It has a proc that can stun, they wwre stun locking him down because of the weapon.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/sledge-fist

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

32. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 6, 2012, 00:58 RailWizard

31. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 23:06 shihonage

It's nice to see that the game is finally approaching release state. In a couple of years I'll pick up my level 18 Monk and resume what I can only hope to be the "definitive Diablo experience".

Amirite?

30. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 22:29 Dades

Remember Diablo III? Nope, I don't either.  

29. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 22:25 merloid

28. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 20:47 Luke

dj LiTh wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 18:00:
Luke wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:48:
dj LiTh wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:35:
Luke wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:34:
dj LiTh wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:27:
Well, ignoring the bluesnews d3 bashing which will go on no matter what for eternity, i'd say this is another patch in the right direction. What i find disconcerting after READING the article is that they had to employ the help of the WoW and SC2 teams to come up with a viable answer. Jury's still out, time will tell.

Patch 1.04 will do the trick...oh wait patch 1.04a will do the trick..wait i am pretty sure patch 1.04b has it...nono patch1.04c is the one in the "Right direction".............................. Clown 's

Was patch 1.04 (any version) a step in the wrong direction?

There is no hope for this diasco unless they start all over again , those "repair" won't heal the wound but still some keep the hope up for the next patch to do the job Book

While i dont think diablo 3 is what it should/could have been, i also dont pass off blizzard as incapable. Rome wasnt built in a day...speakin of which...i cant wait for TW:Rome2

Rome wasnt built in a day
They sure did promote that "game" as rome was build in one day

27. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 19:29 Julio

There's crowd control that does something in D3? I must have missed that in my 100+ hours playing.

Hit the inferno wall as well, D3 is pretty much an extreme grindfest from there on.

26. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 19:13 Yakubs

Yes, this is a minor positive change but why doesn't anyone point out the fundamental issue here? They start their entire thought process from a completely incorrect assumption -- giving players crowd control means the game won't be difficult.

This, to me, is just a roundabout way of saying, "We're too fucking lazy to implement monster AI and monster abilities that can handle crowd control. Here, have 50 'different' monsters that all just run straight at you until they die. Enjoy!"

25. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 18:37 RailWizard

Fibrocyte wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 18:04:
*shrug* I was a fan of D3 when it was released and enjoyed it. However, I eventually hit the inferno wall that the majority of players also hit and have since moved on to other games. GW2 is my game of choice right now and when I'm bored with that I'm going to give TL2 a try. My guess is TL2 will make me never think of D3 again (and that's sad).

That pretty much sums up my feelings on D3 as well. Though I'm not playing Gw2. I think I'm burnt out on rpg's in general for now. Just did my first game on TF2 MVM and it was pretty cool actually.

24. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 18:04 Fibrocyte

*shrug* I was a fan of D3 when it was released and enjoyed it. However, I eventually hit the inferno wall that the majority of players also hit and have since moved on to other games. GW2 is my game of choice right now and when I'm bored with that I'm going to give TL2 a try. My guess is TL2 will make me never think of D3 again (and that's sad).  

23. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 18:00 dj LiTh

Luke wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:48:
Well, ignoring the bluesnews d3 bashing which will go on no matter what for eternity, i'd say this is another patch in the right direction. What i find disconcerting after READING the article is that they had to employ the help of the WoW and SC2 teams to come up with a viable answer. Jury's still out, time will tell.

Patch 1.04 will do the trick...oh wait patch 1.04a will do the trick..wait i am pretty sure patch 1.04b has it...nono patch1.04c is the one in the "Right direction".............................. Clown 's

There is no hope for this diasco unless they start all over again , those "repair" won't heal the wound but still some keep the hope up for the next patch to do the job Book

While i dont think diablo 3 is what it should/could have been, i also dont pass off blizzard as incapable. Rome wasnt built in a day...speakin of which...i cant wait for TW:Rome2

22. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 17:48 Luke

21. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:51 Wallshadows

I always joked that they must have used the wow dev team to help make D3 but I guess I can't really joke about it any more.  

20. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:43 rist3903

These changes seem positive. A step in the right direction, as the last patch was. Any changes that increase viable build diversity are appreciated.

19. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:35 dj LiTh

18. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:34 Luke

17. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:27 dj LiTh

16. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:26 Flatline

Creston wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:22:
Flatline wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:15:
Beelzebud wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:06:
All they had to do was copy Diablo 2, and just add a shitload of content on top of those proven systems.

But that would have been admitting that Blizzard North knew what they were doing. We can't have any of that.

That's right. Fuck those losers!

Note: I apologize for saying that. Diablo 3 is a fucking awesome game and you really all should play it. Beside the Auction House and the Real Money Auction House, we recently decided to create an actual game in Diablo 3, and to maybe have some nice loot drop occasionally. So as you can see, it's clearly awesome. Please don't pay any more attention to what I said before, and instead just focus on the rest of what I said, which is what marketing and legal told me to say.

/Jay Wilson'ed.

(was it Jay Wilson? If not, please put in the name of the douchebag who 'apologized' recently for saying "fuck that loser.")

Creston

Yup.. That was Jay Wilson. When you start to type in his name Google auto-fills it with "Jay Wilson fired".

And for giggles, here's 18 pages of memes about him:

http://memegenerator.net/Jay-Wilson-Diablo-3

15. Re: Diablo III Crowd Control Change Plans Sep 5, 2012, 16:23 Flatline

My big gripe is that the game took 10 years to come out, 5 of which was development on *this* version, over a year of which was supposedly "polishing" and "beta testing" and "tuning".

Cue launch, and within 4 months they're half-assing entirely new systems out of thin air to make the game not suck as much. Which are going to require patching, and at this rate, they'll either nerf the system or completely remove it in two patches anyway.

The cynical side of me keeps insisting that this is intentional. Drastically shifting the balance and even the core gameplay concepts around every couple months means that there will always be a demand for top-tier items, which means consistent revenue in the RMAH.

34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo