Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer

The Bethesda Softworks Forums offer a DOOM 3 BFG Edition FAQ with more on the upcoming first-person shooter bundle (thanks Badboy). While this will include multiplayer support for all three DOOM games on consoles, PC gamers will not be given the chance to relive classic DOOM and DOOM II multiplayer:

What multiplayer is included for DOOM 3 BFG Edition?
ONLINE multiplayer for Xbox 360 and PS3:

DOOM: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM II: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil: 2-4 players per map
    Lost Mission: N/A
OFFLINE multiplayer for Xbox 360 and PS3:
    DOOM: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM II: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil: N/A
    Lost Mission: N/A
PC Multiplayer
    On PC online Multiplayer for DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil is 2-8 players.
    On PC there is no multiplayer options for Doom and Doom II.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

7. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:15 Verno

Prez wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:04:
Maybe there are better community addons for Doom mp, but the irony of 2 of the greatest PC games of all time being less complete than their console counterparts stings just the same.

I still remember using IPX to play that shit on my dads company network. Sad to see id forget its roots.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:15 Trevellian

Way to understand your target audience Carmack. You ignorant fuck. You've lost touch.

I'd rather play Doom or Doom 2 multiplayer than that heap of shit Doom 3 any day of the week. Good going bonehead.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

5. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:04 Prez

Maybe there are better community addons for Doom mp, but the irony of 2 of the greatest PC games of all time being less complete than their console counterparts stings just the same.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 10:58 007Bistromath

Seems like an entirely reasonable decision to me. That engine's been open source for years. Carmack knows anybody who actually wants that already has zDoom or somesuch other thing that has more features than he'd be interested in putting in an official product.  

3. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 10:55 Mr. Tact

Yeah, more than a little bit ironic... and sad.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

2. matthew@welchkin.net Sep 5, 2012, 10:39 Watter

I'm not generally of the opinion that PC gamers (or anyone) is "owed" anything, but Doom 1/2 completely defined PC gaming for a generation. It was the very first game my circles ever played multiplayer against each other. We setup an LAN (IPX no less) in our college apartments specifically to play this game. The effort that went into getting a network working under DOS to play this game is something I will always remember.

To see that a re-release, even if it's a pack-in add-on, doesn't include multiplayer for PC gamers is disheartening.

1. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 10:14 InBlack

Doom2 is the best dueling game ever. Map1 (entry FTW) Close second would be Quake 1. IMO.

Kind of sucks that they wouldnt include multiplayer options for D1 and D2 but then again, there are so many high quality community offerings today that they would end up looking like amateurs (e.g. Zdaemon, Skulltag, Zdoom etc.)

I have a nifty blue line!

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo