Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer

The Bethesda Softworks Forums offer a DOOM 3 BFG Edition FAQ with more on the upcoming first-person shooter bundle (thanks Badboy). While this will include multiplayer support for all three DOOM games on consoles, PC gamers will not be given the chance to relive classic DOOM and DOOM II multiplayer:

What multiplayer is included for DOOM 3 BFG Edition?
ONLINE multiplayer for Xbox 360 and PS3:

DOOM: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM II: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil: 2-4 players per map
    Lost Mission: N/A
OFFLINE multiplayer for Xbox 360 and PS3:
    DOOM: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM II: 2-4 players per map
    DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil: N/A
    Lost Mission: N/A
PC Multiplayer
    On PC online Multiplayer for DOOM 3 and Resurrection of Evil is 2-8 players.
    On PC there is no multiplayer options for Doom and Doom II.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 17:10 Beamer

killer_roach wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:05:
Flatline wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:01:
I have to ask... why is this even a story?

Doom 3 is a decade old, Doom came out when I was in middle school. While I'd normally be all for ensemble packs like this, why is Bethesda pimping it like it's a real event? Is iD *that* crappy these days? That we have to go back to games we released a decade ago?

I guess some upgraded engine work/textures is kind of cool, but it's hard to get excited about this... at all.

I'm guessing they thought that there was a market for console-playable Doom, and that it was a pretty quick and easy project to do.

Doom and Doom II were free pack-ins with Doom 3 for the Xbox and are both available on XBLA, complete with co-op and multiplayer (though lacking a few things such as cheat codes and music playing at the proper speed.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 17:08 Beamer

Doom 3 is a decade old, Doom came out when I was in middle school. While I'd normally be all for ensemble packs like this, why is Bethesda pimping it like it's a real event? Is iD *that* crappy these days? That we have to go back to games we released a decade ago?

I guess some upgraded engine work/textures is kind of cool, but it's hard to get excited about this... at all.

Because id software wasn't cheap (but actually pretty cheap relative to what other studios would cost) and because they didn't get any return on the investment with Rage.

So dusting off an old property, sprucing it up a bit and pushing it out the door will really help that with little true risk. Probably little reward, also. I can't imagine this being a huge seller.

-------------

25. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 17:05 killer_roach

I'm guessing they thought that there was a market for console-playable Doom, and that it was a pretty quick and easy project to do.

24. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 17:01 Flatline

23. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 16:44 GB

I was really looking forward to playing the updated DOOM 3 in CO-OP with a couple of XBox 360's. DOOM 3 on the old XBox had a pretty good CO-OP mode that really helped with some of the single player problems. Why would ID/Bethesda not include this feature in the BFG Edition? Not to excited for this one now.  

22. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 16:32 killer_roach

Shataan wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:28:
If a complete package for PC gamers is NOT there, then PC gamers should be able to pay LESS for the PC release. $39.00 bucks tops for the PC BFG Edition. Sounds fair.

Amazon is listing it for $29.99 on PC and $39.99 on consoles.

21. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 16:31 Creston

John Carmack to PC players: "No really, FUCK you guys! Rage was awesome!"

Creston

20. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 15:11 |RaptoR|

This decision is the right one. The Doom online community is fragmented between source ports as is. Writing in tcp/ip multiplayer would probably be trivial but would further diminish the already small and fragmented PC Doom community.

To the commenter that posted about playing with a stock installation: the bone stock implementation of Doom multiplayer required an external program to launch and connect and did not support routable communication protocols. Odamex and Zdoom/ZDaemon are the way to go now, since they have a matchmaking service component and support tcp/ip.

It makes sense that they're adding support to the consoles simply because those platforms provide a uniform matchmaking standard and DONT already have reasonable options.

19. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 14:52 Phasenoise

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:58:
Nah, the problem is there is no match-making system. Unless you want Doom with GFWL

When I read that I had a larger panic-induced adrenaline rush than when a monster from Doom 3 popped out of a closet behind me.

18. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 14:37 Beamer

hb3d wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:03:
Not only is there no need for multiplayer, but there is no need for this re-release on the PC at all.

All of these games have open source code on the PC. All of these games also have well-established modding communities.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only the engine went open source. The actual gameplay did not. So, while you can download the source code, you still need to purchase the .wad to play.

In fact, Doom II, Final Doom and Ultimate Doom are $20 each from id.

-------------

17. Re: There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 13:28 Shataan

If a complete package for PC gamers is NOT there, then PC gamers should be able to pay LESS for the PC release. $39.00 bucks tops for the PC BFG Edition. Sounds fair.  

16. There's no need for this game on the PC at all. Sep 5, 2012, 13:03 hb3d

Not only is there no need for multiplayer, but there is no need for this re-release on the PC at all.

All of these games have open source code on the PC. All of these games also have well-established modding communities.

All of these games can also still be purchased on the PC inexpensively through digital distribution and are easily available through piracy too if that's your thing. So, if you game on the PC you should either already have these games or can get them easily.

So, what the hell could this slapped-together cash-in for game consoles offer to PC users that the original games and their modding communities don't already provide besides the chance to give more money to the suits at Bethesda for games you already own?

deqer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:14:
Some people may not even care about any of the extra features the custom engines have to offer anyways. People just like to click Connect and start playing online, with their stock installation of Doom.
You just defined a console gamer. If that's one's attitude, buy a game console and leave the "heavy lifting" and all of the benefits that come with it to PC gamers. PC gaming should not be dumbed down to accomodate those people.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2012, 13:22.

15. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 12:53 Mordecai Walfish

Seems a pretty easy decision, really.

360 & PS3 have no version of DOOM multiplayer, slap some together in the box. Done.

PC has been open source for a decade+, maybe promote some of the excellent doom MP that already exists by omitting Doom 1 & 2 MP, which would have been worthless to spend time developing anyway.

I don't see the issue, as we get *vastly* better MP than what id would have included for PC anyway, and they dont have to waste time on something that nobody will play. If one-button connect is what you're looking for then find a suitable Doom frontend. =)

14. Re: I'm out Sep 5, 2012, 12:14 deqer

NoyzRulz wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:06:
I will comment on the off chance the developers read this. I came up on gaming with the Doom and Quake games. Without PC support I won't buy it at all. It just does not seem right to not be able to play the classics as we used to while everything else is supported.
Although we have engines, I agree that ID should've put in at least some stock multiplayer feature, just like we had in the old days. I think many people would use this stock multiplayer, because then they don't need to mess with custom engines, custom match maker tools, and such. Some people may not even care about any of the extra features the custom engines have to offer anyways. People just like to click Connect and start playing online, with their stock installation of Doom. In 2012.

13. I'm out Sep 5, 2012, 12:06 NoyzRulz

I will comment on the off chance the developers read this. I came up on gaming with the Doom and Quake games. Without PC support I won't buy it at all. It just does not seem right to not be able to play the classics as we used to while everything else is supported. I would like to say I hope it sells well but if I am being honest I hope that sales are flat due to the lack of PC support.It was "cute" playing Doom in a browser and on my iPhone but something is lost not playing it like it was supposed to be played. Bummer.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2012, 12:05 Rigs

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:58:
Nah, the problem is there is no match-making system. Unless you want Doom with GFWL

*rolls out the Kali server*

You want matchmaking, motherf***er?! You got it!

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

11. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:58 eRe4s3r

10. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:52 Phasenoise

Baffling. It seems like it would be trivial to add support given how much code already exists to do exactly what folks would want.
But perhaps that's the explanation as well - they feel the need is already addressed?

9. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:35 deqer

007Bistromath wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:58:
Seems like an entirely reasonable decision to me. That engine's been open source for years. Carmack knows anybody who actually wants that already has zDoom or somesuch other thing that has more features than he'd be interested in putting in an official product.
^

8. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 11:27 SirKnight

Trevellian wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:15:
Way to understand your target audience Carmack. You ignorant fuck. You've lost touch.

I'd rather play Doom or Doom 2 multiplayer than that heap of shit Doom 3 any day of the week. Good going bonehead.

huh?

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo