Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee

The recently launched Steam Greenlight program has a problem with its signal-to-noise ratio, as Valve has been flooded with legitimate submissions as well as joke entries from the collection of comedian known as the internet. To combat this, they announce they are adding a one hundred dollar submission fee, which will be contributed to charity. Here's word:

Two things we’ve noticed so far. First, there are a ton of legitimate submissions that people want to see. Second, there is unfortunately a significant amount of noise and clutter being submitted, either as a joke or by fans not fully understanding the purpose of Greenlight.

So, with those things in mind, today we’ve made two updates to how Greenlight works.

The first update is a $100 fee for someone to post to Steam Greenlight. The proceeds will be donated to Child’s Play. We have no interest in making money from this, but we do need to cut down the noise in the system. (Note: Anyone who has already posted a submission to Greenlight will not have to retroactively pay for any existing submissions, but will need to do so for any future submissions.)

The second part of this update is to improve your window into Greenlight and help you find “your kind” of games. The next time you visit Steam Greenlight you’ll be shown a smaller, manageable list of games that you haven’t rated. This view is a mix of popular games and new games to Greenlight.

In the end, we’re very interested in maintaining an environment that is fair and beneficial to everyone involved, and one that fun and rewarding to join.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

9. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:35 Silicon Avatar

Few tiny indies are going to fork out a hundred bucks just to enter a popularity lottery in hopes that maybe their game will be sold on Steam.

If you are an obscure indie author you might as well throw your hundred in the trash can for all the chance you will have.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:29 Dev

As I had predicted, unless valve got it together, this was heading towards being useless. Glad to see they did something about it. Valve has always had such great ideas but generally isn't all that great at implementing them (at least not the first iteration).

I'm also impressed they found a solution so fast that didn't involve more boring work for them (like approving the listings). I wonder if it was the new economist over there who suggested this
Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:12:
nin wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:59:
I agree with that, somewhat. What happens when they give $100, but then their game doesn't get enough likes? They're out $100, and don't have much to show for it...

Uhh, nothing? $100 for a chance to get your game on Steam is a bargain. If you could just get refunded afterward it would defeat the purpose - barrier of entry for trolling/fraud.
How would it defeat the purpose? A refund after a year or whatever would be taking it out of the troll's pockets for that long, and if it was a fraud project, then it would get reported and they wouldn't get it back at all.

This comment was edited on Sep 5, 2012, 12:42.

7. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:17 Frijoles

I tried out the new listing features this morning. I like it a lot more. It doesn't tell me there are 700+ to review, it just gives me a small list of 10. And you can set which type of games you'd like to review. After you do 10, you can queue up more if you like. They've also added some text to the thumbs-down to indicate "would you buy this on steam". Makes it easier for me to say no.

And very happy with the fee. There was so much crap it wasn't worth looking at. Now we can hopefully stick to real games.

6. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:10 Ray Marden

$100.00 seems a little high for only a listing, but should be a non-issue for any developer that hast put some work and time into making a decent product.

If you need money to even get started, go to Kickstarter.

Otherwise, the system was deeply flawed. I tried it out last week and there were ~700 items to look at. On top of that, 80% of the items I looked at were either jokes or were so early on that they lacked any screenshots, artwork, or even a video.
Amazingly, every single person promises a fantastic game...
Thinking people had the wrong idea bout Greenlight,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

5. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 11:53 jimnms

Hyatus wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:50:
Why not just use the $100 as a placeholder or security deposit?
After six months/one year/cancellation, the developer gets their money back.

In the meantime, they can use the interest in the account for their coffee fund.

This seems a little ridiculous.

Wow, seriously? I think donating the money to a charity that provides a little joy and happiness to terminally ill kids is a much better use of the money than a snack fund for Gabe. Any indie dev can easily raise $100 to get their game listed on Steam Greenlight.

Steam Profile

4. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 11:12 Verno

I agree with that, somewhat. What happens when they give $100, but then their game doesn't get enough likes? They're out $100, and don't have much to show for it...

Uhh, nothing? $100 for a chance to get your game on Steam is a bargain. If you could just get refunded afterward it would defeat the purpose - barrier of entry for trolling/fraud.

Playing: The Last of Us Remastered
Watching: Intruders, Coherence, The Rover

3. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 11:08 Creston

Yeah, them's the breaks, I think. Valve tried to do it for free, and then the asswipes that make up 99% of the Internet had to fuck it up for everyone else again. SO MUCH LULZ! Rolleyes

There should be a behavioral gate to even get ON the internet. It'd be so much quieter and better.

Creston

2. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 10:59 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 10:50 Hyatus

Why not just use the $100 as a placeholder or security deposit?
After six months/one year/cancellation, the developer gets their money back.

In the meantime, they can use the interest in the account for their coffee fund.

This seems a little ridiculous.

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo