Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee

The recently launched Steam Greenlight program has a problem with its signal-to-noise ratio, as Valve has been flooded with legitimate submissions as well as joke entries from the collection of comedian known as the internet. To combat this, they announce they are adding a one hundred dollar submission fee, which will be contributed to charity. Here's word:

Two things we’ve noticed so far. First, there are a ton of legitimate submissions that people want to see. Second, there is unfortunately a significant amount of noise and clutter being submitted, either as a joke or by fans not fully understanding the purpose of Greenlight.

So, with those things in mind, today we’ve made two updates to how Greenlight works.

The first update is a $100 fee for someone to post to Steam Greenlight. The proceeds will be donated to Child’s Play. We have no interest in making money from this, but we do need to cut down the noise in the system. (Note: Anyone who has already posted a submission to Greenlight will not have to retroactively pay for any existing submissions, but will need to do so for any future submissions.)

The second part of this update is to improve your window into Greenlight and help you find “your kind” of games. The next time you visit Steam Greenlight you’ll be shown a smaller, manageable list of games that you haven’t rated. This view is a mix of popular games and new games to Greenlight.

In the end, we’re very interested in maintaining an environment that is fair and beneficial to everyone involved, and one that fun and rewarding to join.

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 8, 2012, 02:31 nin

I wish I could choose my charity though. Child's play is a great service, but I think there are better places for my money to go.

I agree with that completely, but at the same time, I can see valve not wanting to keep track of donations to multiple charities.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 7, 2012, 02:10 saluk

This is a great idea! I think the fee is a bit (maybe a lot) higher than necessary, but it's not too crippling for anyone who is serious about their game and its worth listing. I would have gone with $50 - it's about the price to purchase a game after all. Just feels right. It costs $100 to get onto the iStore, but then you are free to submit as many things as you want, it's not per title. Then they take a huge hit of profits, so you can't totally compare them but...

I wish I could choose my charity though. Child's play is a great service, but I think there are better places for my money to go. Well, if I was listing anything anyway hehe.

27. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 6, 2012, 10:27 eRe4s3r

I don't think Valve wants to start going into the banking business. If you keep safety deposits you also have a fun time declaring the interest you earned from it on your tax report. Far easier to give it to charity, a lot less hassle too.  

26. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 21:34 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 14:28:
-Paralyzing choice-

A pretty good TED talk on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM

25. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 20:37 SimplyMonk

mch wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:52:
I was surprised by an op-ed I read earlier ("The $100 fee for Steam Greenlight submissions is exclusionary, and wrong"). I enjoy Ben's reviews (moreso when he was with Ars), but I can't agree with him here.

Ben wrote:
She called me classist.

He got called a name by a girl. That's why he changed his opinion. If you can't scrap together an extra $100 to submit your game, there is something wrong with you. Skip lunch for a month. Steal it. Take out a personal loan. Cash advance your credit card. Sell some old computer parts. Sell your old collection of magic cards. Sell blood and/or semen/eggs.

Unless we are talking third world developers here, $100 is in no way classist except in the sense that you are now excluding the homeless and people that have taking vows of poverty.

24. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 19:37 Julio

So who gets the tax credit for the donation...I'm going to take a random guess that Valve will take it. But they don't want it so I'm sure they won't use it  

23. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 18:58 Dev

Sempai wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:35:
$100 bucks? Uh..No thanks.
If you aren't a dev submitting your own game, nothing to worry about then. This isn't for end users.

22. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 17:35 Sempai

$100 bucks? Uh..No thanks.  

21. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 17:23 mag

mch wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 16:52:
I'm completely fine with the $100 fee, and good for them to donate it Child's Play.

I was surprised by an op-ed I read earlier ("The $100 fee for Steam Greenlight submissions is exclusionary, and wrong"). I enjoy Ben's reviews (moreso when he was with Ars), but I can't agree with him here.

Sure, maybe the fee might still serve its purpose if it was slightly lower (personally I think the $10 number thrown around is too low), but $100 isn't too high. I certainly wouldn't call it 'exclusionary' or 'wrong'. Like I've seen some others say, isn't $100 just a tiny Kickstarter away?

Haha. I guessed that this was from the Penny Arcade Report before clicking. Everything I've seen there has seemed very wrong-headed.

20. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 16:52 mch

I'm completely fine with the $100 fee, and good for them to donate it Child's Play.

Sure, maybe the fee might still serve its purpose if it was slightly lower (personally I think the $10 number thrown around is too low), but $100 isn't too high. I certainly wouldn't call it 'exclusionary' or 'wrong'. Like I've seen some others say, isn't $100 just a tiny Kickstarter away?

PSN: CaseDesignate

19. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 16:13 Cutter

nin wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:59:
I agree with that, somewhat. What happens when they give $100, but then their game doesn't get enough likes? They're out $100, and don't have much to show for it...

Like everything else in life, ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

18. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 14:28 Beamer

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:35:
Few tiny indies are going to fork out a hundred bucks just to enter a popularity lottery in hopes that maybe their game will be sold on Steam.

If you are an obscure indie author you might as well throw your hundred in the trash can for all the chance you will have.

Well, the $100 helps, though. Everyone thinks more choice is great, but when you get to a point more choice is a terrible thing. Two reasons:
1) People actually suck at making choices. There are a few very famous studies on the paradox of choice, which do things like feature two supermarket displays over 2 days. One has 3 jams on it, one has 20 jams. While the same amount of people go over to the display and try the jam, significantly more people buy from the 3 than the 20. People just make choices more readily with fewer options, after that it's rapidly diminishing and even negative returns

2) When the choice is mostly crap, everything gets buried. People get tired of looking for the needle in the haystack and stop even bothering to look. This is what cable is experiencing with its 400 channel offers - people only watch 3-8 and ignore anything else. In essence they watch less variety than when they had a more manageable number of channels

So, without that $100, the store becomes so cluttered no one bothers. With it the store is less cluttered and people are more likely to find that tiny little gem. But man, 757 games within a few days? That's more or less already way too many to search through.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

17. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 14:22 Alamar

I can see why this is needed... The first time I visited, I was surprised there were so many games... Like 30 or so... And then I noticed there were 14 pages...

The total at that time was 403, and then I checked back again a few days later, and it was 567 or so...

Checking now, it's 757...

And while I think it's great that Steam has been so indie friendly... If a group doesn't think their game is worth (an extra) $100 investment, would the people viewing it?

Also, when I first heard about it, I thought it was a cool idea, but being slammed with 400 entries (let alone the double it's at now), I don't have the time (priority) to bother... Maybe when I have nothing to play, I'll browse more actively.

-Alamar

16. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 13:45 SimplyMonk

$100 is a worthy fee just to be seen on Steam Greenlight right now. A buddy of mine is an independent developer, (Black Chicken Studio), that focuses on very niche titles. Getting his title onto to Steam Greenlight netted him enough interest for his game, Scheherazade, already to make back that $100 easy, even though he submitted Day 1. People saw his game, commented both negatively and positively, and a good amount of people even saved it to their favorites. Not talking large numbers here and most likely not enough to actually get on Steam, but far better than he could do on his own. The fact that Valve is donating the money to charity is just icing on the cake for what is essentially free advertising.

Now, I don't know how useful of an advertising and publicity outlet Greenlight will be in the future, but right now it is fairly good considering I even discovered a few titles that were already launched, I'm interested in, but never even heard of until Greenlight.

Also, Steam's old approval process was horrid. You either had to know someone at Valve, have a solid track record and titles on Steam already or prove yourself somewhere else first just to even get an e-mail back from them. Although I doubt it was official, unless you were pushing solid figures on other portals, Steam wouldn't even pay attention to your existence. Can't necessarily blame them though because I imagine the number of submissions they get are fairly high considering the current state of the Greenlight (minus the troll submissions).

15. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 13:17 Dev

Verno wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 13:13:
Greenlight strikes me more as an awareness tool and I can't say I'll be using it much so /shrug.
I used it to thumb up the kickstarter projects I'm in. Many of them don't yet have steam approval (and may or may not get it), so the greenlight process is important for them.

Also, if someone has bought any non-steam indie games, if they show up on greenlight it would be a help to the company to thumb them on greenlight so they can make it onto steam. If they aren't on greenlight, then they should be

14. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 13:13 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:42:
It's a dumb barrier. Instead of Valve hiring a handful of people dedicated to keeping Greenlight clear, the put the expense on the indie developers.

Valve makes money of those sales too. Let them pay the price. They're the ones wanting more product to sell.

A bunch of employees who cost money and have to be managed versus a virtual $100 barrier that effectively does the same thing. I don't know, it doesn't seem dumb to me. They aren't scrapping their traditional approval process anyway, publishers and indies can still go through them directly. Greenlight strikes me more as an awareness tool and I can't say I'll be using it much so /shrug.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

13. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:45 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:42:
It's a dumb barrier. Instead of Valve hiring a handful of people dedicated to keeping Greenlight clear, the put the expense on the indie developers.

Valve makes money of those sales too. Let them pay the price. They're the ones wanting more product to sell.

If valve was willing to hire people to take care of game listings, they wouldn't have done greenlight in the first place. The main purpose of it was to reduce the workload on valve for the games, since its boring and uninteresting to approve games (they even stated something like this in the greenlight announcement). Valve employees mostly only work on whats interesting to them. Valve doesn't hire people for that kinda scut work.

12. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:42 Silicon Avatar

11. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:42 Dev

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:35:
Few tiny indies are going to fork out a hundred bucks just to enter a popularity lottery in hopes that maybe their game will be sold on Steam.

If you are an obscure indie author you might as well throw your hundred in the trash can for all the chance you will have.

$100 is cheap for the chance to reach millions of gamers, even for indies. Probably the best marketing money they will spend. Even if they dont make it, they will have a place people can go to to view info on their game.

Thats like saying the $100 ios cost isn't worth it for small indie apps (of which there are tons).

10. Re: Steam Greenlight Adding Listing Fee Sep 5, 2012, 12:36 Verno

Dev wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 12:29:
How would it defeat the purpose? A refund after a year or whatever would be taking it out of the troll's pockets for that long, and if it was a fraud project, then it would get reported and they wouldn't get it back at all.

The purpose is a barrier of entry to cut down on pointless submissions and ill thought out projects seeking to make a buck, as already explained by both the news source and others. Most payment processors will not allow you to put a hold on a customers card for anywhere near that long and I don't see Valve establishing their own escrow service. This is a fine solution and will do exactly what is intended while also putting some money into a charity.

few indies will spend the $100 stuff

This isn't the only way to get your game on Steam, there is still the traditional method of contacting Valve directly and going through their process. Seeing as many small indies have enjoyed success on Steam I can't agree that they wouldn't view a $100 as money well spent. Greenlight isn't just game approval, its eye balls and feedback too.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo