Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Metaverse

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 6, 2012, 02:18 Ant

Ratty wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 11:00:
Reminds me of The Event for some reason. That was cancelled after a season. Why get invested in these mythology shows anymore? The article says the critics hate it anyway, who cares what sci-fi fans think. Yeah, I'll stay away for the first season and maybe check it out if it lasts into a second season. It's like these network premieres are for things to look forward to the following year. And yes I guess that makes me part of the "problem" but whose fault is that?
It reminded me more of Jericho, but weaker. I think Revolution is now going to do well. I wasn't impressed. I loved Lost and Alias! I couldn't get into Fringe.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Alias Sep 6, 2012, 02:16 Ant

First three seasons of Alias. After that cliffhanger season, ugh. Jennifer Garner was hot.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

8. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 21:22 space captain

never saw alias, but it looked interesting with the davinci code type elements that seemed to be going on.. dunno tho, cuz i never watched an episode.. i saw the guy who played Locke in there tho

which was for me, the major dissapointment of Lost - considering his origin story was one of the best episodes of any TV show ive ever seen in my life.. and that "spirit guide" thing he had going with dude on the mushroom trip or whatever...

that first season of lost gave me the impression that the writers had a solid and coherent grasp on things which i later learned they only had the most meager glimpses of.. so i watched it all the way through just to see the extent to which they floundered on the sharp edges of pure chaos - and man, they fucking delivered hardcore on that

anyway, Fringe actually delivered on the "fringe science" promise that Lost was originally about - plus Fringe had a perfect context for the parallel universe shit that JJ uses in almost everything he does.. speaking of Fringe, another all time favorite episode of ever, is the one with (robocop) Peter Weller as the time traveling scientist dude... altho i kinda wished they had used him for some Buckaroo Banzai nostalgia since it was like a perfect fit - maybe it was too perfect, who knows

Go forth, and kill!

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 20:49 Creston

space captain wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 17:10:
if a sci-fi show has a premise as goofy as "electricity dissapears!" then it needs to go all the way, i.e. as a full-on comedy

otherwise, its just lame imo

fringe was really good - i liked it alot, but its the only JJ thing that i thought was well done in terms of the sci-fi mythos... lost was ugg, just so fucking wack, the first 10 episodes were incredible and then it went to shit.. also the new star trek movie was good as a popcorn flick and i enjoyed the entertainment, but it was not properly "trek" imo - because the "deus ex machina" bullshit is the oldest trick in the book and its a silly cop out, not to mention the lack of intellectual content in general

Yeah, really the only reason I'll watch it for a few episodes is because it's JJ Abrams. I love Fringe, I really liked the Star Trek reboot (warts and all), and I liked some of his older shows too. (Alias was quite good for its first few seasons.)

We'll see how it goes. I fully expect it to be gone after one season, like most every show that ever gets put into production anymore.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 20:30 Genesys

You have to allow for some suspension of disbelief here... Most stories like this have to fall back on some unexplainable magic to justify themselves. Apparently the preferred term when discussing alternate history books is "Alien Space Bats".

S.M. Stirling, author of the Emberverse series of books which Revolution is almost certainly based off, even has a character explicitly refer to ASBs when explaining what works and what doesn't anymore:

http://hem.bredband.net/b104699/books/protwar/protwar_2.html
"Yes, or the sort of horse-gin we use for threshing machines now. But think about it for a moment. Why would the heat-to-work cycle not function, while the work-to-cold cycle does? And when you're cranking it, it works exactly the way it did pre-Change. It's like you can only play a film backward."

Havel shrugged again. "Presumably your Alien Space Bats, or Juney's gods, or the reverend Abbot's Lord Jehovah, wanted it that way. I never did think the Change just happened."

Stirling's up to 9 books in the series, so there'd better be enough plot for a TV series in there somewhere... Although my guess is the series is really more political-drama alternate-history type books than Sci-Fi. Hard to do Sci-Fi when you can't even turn on a light bulb.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 17:10 space captain

if a sci-fi show has a premise as goofy as "electricity dissapears!" then it needs to go all the way, i.e. as a full-on comedy

otherwise, its just lame imo

fringe was really good - i liked it alot, but its the only JJ thing that i thought was well done in terms of the sci-fi mythos... lost was ugg, just so fucking wack, the first 10 episodes were incredible and then it went to shit.. also the new star trek movie was good as a popcorn flick and i enjoyed the entertainment, but it was not properly "trek" imo - because the "deus ex machina" bullshit is the oldest trick in the book and its a silly cop out, not to mention the lack of intellectual content in general

Go forth, and kill!

4. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 13:23 Matshock

I finally installed W7 this week- mostly because W8 is a dog and I don't want to get left out in the cold.  

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 11:51 Creston

space captain wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 10:55:
Our entire way of life depends on electricity. So what would happen if it just stopped working? Well, one day, like a switch turned off, the world is suddenly thrust back into the dark ages. Planes fall from the sky, hospitals shut down, and communication is impossible.

guess what else shuts down??

the nervous system of every living creature on the planet

fucking retards

It was actually even funnier at first, because his initial theory was that "Energy disappears from the entire universe."

Errr, okay, so everything just basically dies and freezes? Sounds like a great show.

Fortunately he at least realized that that was being too stupid, so they changed it to "electricity." Which, btw, hasn't actually disappeared, because they've shown in the trailers that some people can still use it.

I like the premise fairly well (though I don't understand why everyone starts using swords, all of a sudden. Guns work just fine without electricity, people...) but I can't help but feel that there's about half a season's worth of story there, and that'll be it. This would be much better as a miniseries than as a full series, because now they can never have the main premise end.

I wish TV makers would stop wanting every title to turn into the next American idol, and just go back to making GOOD mini-series...

Creston

2. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 11:00 Ratty

Reminds me of The Event for some reason. That was cancelled after a season. Why get invested in these mythology shows anymore? The article says the critics hate it anyway, who cares what sci-fi fans think. Yeah, I'll stay away for the first season and maybe check it out if it lasts into a second season. It's like these network premieres are for things to look forward to the following year. And yes I guess that makes me part of the "problem" but whose fault is that?  

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 5, 2012, 10:55 space captain

Our entire way of life depends on electricity. So what would happen if it just stopped working? Well, one day, like a switch turned off, the world is suddenly thrust back into the dark ages. Planes fall from the sky, hospitals shut down, and communication is impossible.

guess what else shuts down??

the nervous system of every living creature on the planet

fucking retards

Go forth, and kill!

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo