Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on Valve's Hardware Plans

A listing for an Industrial Designer position on the Valve Corporation Job Postings Page has a very interesting description that expresses Valve's frustration with the progress of hardware development and offers more on their plans to address this (thanks Computer and Video Games). Here's word:

Valve is traditionally a software company. Open platforms like the PC and Mac are important to us, as they enable us and our partners to have a robust and direct relationship with customers. We’re frustrated by the lack of innovation in the computer hardware space though, so we’re jumping in. Even basic input, the keyboard and mouse, haven’t really changed in any meaningful way over the years. There’s a real void in the marketplace, and opportunities to create compelling user experiences are being overlooked.

View
38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

38. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 5, 2012, 09:14 gray

That controller is horrible and nowhere near innovative enough for Valve. They should be producing something like the Novint Xio or a spacially aware force feedback powerglove using micro-movements as input.

It's 2012 not 1993.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

37. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 5, 2012, 09:11 gray

That controller is horrible and nowhere near innovative enough for Valve. They should be producing something like the Novint Xio or a spacially aware force feedback powerglove using micro-movements as input.

It's 2012 not 1993.

36. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 5, 2012, 07:41 Beamer

netnerd85 wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 07:30:
How about you do what you say you are good at Valve. Start working on that Void of quality PC gaming? No? How about releasing your stranglehold on the digital industry? No?

I'd like to play a game that doesn't require Steam or ANY other client to run the friggin game without going back 8 years.

Why would Valve ever do that?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 5, 2012, 07:30 netnerd85

How about you do what you say you are good at Valve. Start working on that Void of quality PC gaming? No? How about releasing your stranglehold on the digital industry? No?

I'd like to play a game that doesn't require Steam or ANY other client to run the friggin game without going back 8 years.

34. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 5, 2012, 00:42 Fletch

How about working on a kb/mouse controller for consoles so PC gamers can have more PC games available on Steam that aren't shitty console ports? I won't buy any PC game designed around a gamepad.  

33. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 5, 2012, 00:28 Prez

They point out that the mouse and keyboard scheme is the same since its inception, but it's not like there haven't been attempts to improve or enhance it - it's just that nothing thus far has even come close to matching the elegance of the m+k control scheme much less surpassing it.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

32. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 22:48 Bhruic

Bah, screw a new controller. If Valve is going to work on hardware, make the damn portal gun already!!

(Ok, I'll settle for the gravity gun)

31. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 21:15 Kitkoan

Stormsinger wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:49:
You think security and stability is hard now? Just wait until a bug can crash your brain. You only get one...they're kind of hard to replace.

Who knows? I've met enough people who don't use theirs so it might be possible to get a used-but-never-worked brain cheaply

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

30. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 20:49 Stormsinger

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:52:
Get back to me when you have something that I can plug directly into the base of my skull. Till then I'll be waiting here watching Ghost in the Shell and wishing I also got a degree in biology as well as computer science. Then again, that degree might just tell me why that shit will never work, which would just make me sad.
Uh...no. There isn't a software (or hardware) company out there I'd trust to write code I'm going to run in my brain. Nor, for that matter, to make a plug that directly connects to any part of my central nervous system.

You think security and stability is hard now? Just wait until a bug can crash your brain. You only get one...they're kind of hard to replace.

29. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 20:20 HorrorScope

At least they see the have to nurture and foster the markets they sell in. Imo Nvidia and AMD get solid D's because they should be making games and pushing the envelope to push their hardware, their industry. NVidia esp. as they leave other forces in charge of making theirs industry neededt. It's a business mistake imo.  

28. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 19:11 Jensen

It seems that Valve has fairly wide ranging hardware interests.
Gabe Is in the kickstarter video for that sword fighting SDK, and also in the Oculus rift kickstarter video.
Valve is working on Linux Steam and big screen mode.
Portal2 supports the sixense/hydra motion.

A motion controller could fit with their physics gun games.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 21:21.

27. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 17:38 NewMaxx

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:21:
Love that Eye Tracker, that seems to be the way to go. The only problem I can see with it during gaming, is when you inevitably look away from your screen... Maybe an auto-pause function...

What I was thinking was that they'd have a mouse-like object (or macro keys) with say two buttons, and holding down one would let you do a MechWarrior-style torso twist (freeze what you're aiming at but allow look-around) and the other would freeze entirely. I'm an engineer so I have some experience with this type of stuff, and most people seem to prefer a joystick-like approach to it, and the use of such switches allows for more genre compatibility.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 17:43.

26. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 15:41 Eirikrautha

Stanly Manly wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:21:
As far as that link to the Valve controller, I really just can't believe that companies are so stuck on the current controller design that any type of "innovation" is nothing more than a rearranging of the buttons/sticks. It just makes no sense to me that controller designers are completely ignoring so much button real estate on the *back* of the controller. Hell, I've got 6 free fingers back there... give them something to do, and give my thumbs a little break.

You've hit the nail on the head. Every "controller" looks damn near the same... it's just a matter of where the second analog stick or somesuch will be placed. Give me something that is shaped to fit in my relaxed hand. Give me buttons that operate when pushed forward AND pulled backwards. Let me control by tracking my hand over a much smaller space than a Wii (for greater accuracy). Just don't give me another damn batman symbol with buttons all over it...

25. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 15:31 Kitkoan

I think that Valve is more looking at peripherals as opposed to a whole system.

I'm pretty sure Valve is wanting to help look forward to devices like the Razer Hydra. It was supposed to have been a big step forward in controlling games, similar to the Wii but with much better accuracy. Problem was, it didn't work nearly as well as it was supposed to and I don't think Razer is bothering to improve it now since it didn't sell well. When it came out (and still is), it was sold with a copy of Portal 2 that had 6 levels designed by Valve for use with this device. This tells me that Valve wanted it to a success. It just didn't and now Valve is going to try to do it themselves.

While many of us have seen the Valve controller (it was linked here by nin), I don't think that is the only idea Valve is playing with and the Hydra being the proof of that I feel.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

24. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 15:21 Stanly Manly

Love that Eye Tracker, that seems to be the way to go. The only problem I can see with it during gaming, is when you inevitably look away from your screen... Maybe an auto-pause function...

As far as that link to the Valve controller, I really just can't believe that companies are so stuck on the current controller design that any type of "innovation" is nothing more than a rearranging of the buttons/sticks. It just makes no sense to me that controller designers are completely ignoring so much button real estate on the *back* of the controller. Hell, I've got 6 free fingers back there... give them something to do, and give my thumbs a little break. Plus, take a long hard look at the GameCube controller as far as button placement (well,except for the Z button) goes. By far the best console controller layout ever. Double function, ergonomic shoulder triggers coupled with a large main button with supporting side buttons you could "roll" your thumb over to... I miss that controller every time I pick up an Xbox/PS3 controller with its standard "plus" layout of buttons, and awful double shoulder trigger/buttons....

Also, these guys have it going on as far as innovation... www.alphagrips.com

23. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 15:02 Optional nickname

Hi Valve, please make a good car driving simulator, with dedicated hardware, wheel, immersion, sounds, etc etc.

for you to succeed, you need to make it realistic, physics wise, like Gran Turismo 5 on PS3.

22. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 14:43 Fion

Valve is traditionally a software company. Open platforms like the... and Mac

What, what, WHAT?

On topic, I'm interested to see where they go with this. Just so long as it doesn't impact the software side of things.

21. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 13:50 nin

I would rather have my kb/m instead of this game controller.

Hopefully, with valve, we'll be able to use all of them...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

20. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 13:47 NegaDeath

SimplyMonk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 13:41:
Lasers

Lasers can make any product better.

19. Re: More on Valve's Hardware Plans Sep 4, 2012, 13:41 SimplyMonk

Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 13:33:
Apart from mucking around with the aesthetic there isn't a lot you can do. Angled keyboards and strange mice never did for most people and what we have now works pretty well. Devices like Kinect are wholly impractical for the average user and most people don't want to stand around using their entire body as a controller when 2 hands will do. so yeah, I'm really curious as to what they think is being overlooked.

Lasers

38 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo