Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month

Gearbox Software revealed at PAX plans to release the planned Mechromancer DLC for Borderlands 2 on October 16th, adding the promised 5th class to the RPG/shooter, reports Kotaku. It was recently announced that a season pass will provide access to four DLC packs for the game, and Gearbox tweets a follow-up clarifying that the Mechromancer pack is separate from this: "No, Season Pass does not include Mechromancer -- she'll be available separately for those that don't get her free with pre-order."

View
78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

58. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:44 Bhruic

finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 21:06:
Pre-orders are still important, even in the digital days.

Ok, I'm talking about how they were important for gamers, and you give multiple paragraphs of why they are good for publishers. I'm sure they are. Lots of nickle-and-dime crap is good for publishers. But as far as consumers are concerned, pre-ordering - by itself - is relatively useless. That's why publishers end up doing the silly pre-order bonuses, or the slightly more useful pre-order discounts. They know people have no reason to do them on their own, so they are forced to dangle a carrot to get gamers to play along.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:11 Wowbagger_TIP

finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 21:02:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:21:
I missed the GMG pre-order sales. I would have picked it up at $40 or less. Guess I'll wait for another sale.
It's back for $37.50 with a coupon code. You should, like, read this site I've heard of called Blue's News more often!

Fine, here's a link.
Thanks. Didn't see the coupon code before. Just ordered.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

56. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 22:06 DarkCntry

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:48:
No You! I will drop a single name that will shut you up. Robinhood.

I was actually told at one job interview that that is what my name means. lol Go figure...no I didn't get the job.

What does Robin Hood have to do with anything? The premise behind the fictional character is that he stole from the rich (profiting from the misgivings towards to poor) and gave to the poor (returning what was originally theirs and obtained in a manner deemed 'illegal'.

How is it in any way Robin Hood-esque to pirate a piece of software to use? Software (especially in this context) is a luxury good not intrinsic to a required form of living. The software wasn't obtained by the developers at the detriment of the 'common folk' either.

55. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:14 finga

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:25:
..and yet they arrogantly took on the job. They probably knew it was going to be a stinker also, but that did not stop them from asking a FULL Triple 'A' price for it either despite only having worked for a year on it. Of course they DLC'd the shit out of that game too.

Yes I know it's pretty cheap now, that is the price it should've been to begin with.
I can't disagree with you on that. 2K and Gearbox had to know that the game was a piece of shit, and that Gearbox only basically made it a piece of shit that could at least be played from beginning to end. It should have gone straight into the bargain bin, and not been priced as if it was just another big-budget release.

Of course, Activision keeps doing this too, by releasing perfectly decent games that simply cost too much money. Amazing Spider-Man was great, but for sixty bucks? Fuck that.

54. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:06 finga

Bhruic wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:58:
eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:10:
What'd be the point of pre-ordering the game if it were included? Exactly, there'd be none.

And there shouldn't be. The whole concept of "pre-order" came about during the physical copies days. You pre-ordered a game to ensure that there'd be a copy waiting for you on release day, because if you didn't, there was a decent chance they'd be sold out.

With digital sales - and therefore "unlimited" copies - that reason no longer exists. At best, you can do a preload. But apparently developers and/or publishers fell in love with them so much that they wanted to keep them going, so now they offer extras to try and entice people into pre-orders. I assume it makes business sense, as otherwise it's pretty dumb, but in a lot of ways they could just get rid of it altogether.
Pre-orders are still important, even in the digital days. It allows publishers to more accurately gauge interest in a game, which then leads into adjustments in a game's marketing, advertising (yes, those two are different), and any cross-promotions they want to do with retailers and other parties (like, for example, Borderlands 2 coming for free with Nvidia 600-series cards). They can also decide the size and scope of any special editions they want to do.

Plus, for most publishers, most sales are still at retail. Publishers still want to estimate many copies they *should* print up, and while pressing a plastic disc, one-page manual and case is cheap on its own, both Sony and Microsoft have exclusive rights to press the discs for their respective consoles (security stuff for anti-piracy and the like). I believe both companies take their license vig on even an unsold copy that's printed.

Of course none of that helps the gamer understand preorder bullshit, but most publishers aren't exactly swimming in cash right now. Most have posted year-over-year losses nearly every quarter for the last two years, so yeah, they're going to impose things like pre-order bonuses on people. My hope is just that we back off of the thing where each retailer has its own unique weapon or armor. Cosmetic stuff is fine, but weapons, armor, and vehicles means that no matter what copy you're buying, pre-order or not, you can't actually get the full game legitimately.

Either way, I'm not trying to apologize for publishers, because even the best ones still make a lot of bad decisions and if they made fewer of those, they may not have to do pre-order bullshit. But that's just the reality we're in right now.

53. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:02 finga

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:21:
I missed the GMG pre-order sales. I would have picked it up at $40 or less. Guess I'll wait for another sale.
It's back for $37.50 with a coupon code. You should, like, read this site I've heard of called Blue's News more often!

Fine, here's a link.

52. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 21:00 finga

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 19:42:

aka driving a franchise into the ground. Thx for playing! The Duke is dead.
If you thought the only reason they bought DNF was to finish making DNF and then call it day, then you just don't really know how the game industry works. At all.

51. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:48 RailWizard

Flatline wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:38:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:27:
Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:19:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:14:
That's good because rude and disrespectful was the point.

There are many ways to express your scorn of the gaming industry or Gearbox software without bragging about pirating their games. It comes off as very immature, muddies legitimate discussion and is pretty much an indefensible position.

Well I could lie about it, but then I'd be just like everyone else, and I aspire to be better than that.

So being a thief ranks higher than being similar to other people?

You've got a fucked up sense of morality dude.

No You! I will drop a single name that will shut you up. Robinhood.

I was actually told at one job interview that that is what my name means. lol Go figure...no I didn't get the job.

50. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:46 Flatline

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 20:04:
Same goes for the movie industry. Hello Blair witch?

Blair Witch was a shitty movie with a great marketing campaign. It may have been an indie film originally, but it's success was complete industry hype machine. You're actually arguing *against* your point here.

And you're still a thief.

49. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:38 Flatline

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:27:
That's good because rude and disrespectful was the point.

There are many ways to express your scorn of the gaming industry or Gearbox software without bragging about pirating their games. It comes off as very immature, muddies legitimate discussion and is pretty much an indefensible position.

Well I could lie about it, but then I'd be just like everyone else, and I aspire to be better than that.

So being a thief ranks higher than being similar to other people?

You've got a fucked up sense of morality dude.

48. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:21 Wowbagger_TIP

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

47. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 20:04 RailWizard

Beamer wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:07:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:57:
**This applies to the movie and music industries as well. That fact that an "industry" is even needed for such thing is a topic for another discussion.

Yeah, because $200MM movies like The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers can just be kickstarted and done by some hobbyist.

I can only comment on what I know regarding this, which is Music, and seeing as this whole witch-hunt over copyright bullshit was started by the music "industry", I felt it was relevant.

Music is cheap as fuck to create. I know because I did it for several years. I was in a band that played in many public venues and we had no need of any "industry". Had we kept at it and built up our 'bank', we could've afforded to do many 'fancy' things I would guess. I don't see why this can't translate to the other 2 industries. If you disagree, then don't forget explain the 'mod scene' and how your precious 'industry' has destroyed it. Same goes for the movie industry. Hello Blair witch?

Live within your means and you will eventually be able to do great things. Assuming you are worth a shit that is....That is my entire point right there.

46. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 19:42 RailWizard

Dagnamit wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:51:

Gearbox bought a well known IP with ridiculous earnings potential on the cheap, and all they had to do finish a turd and get it out the door. Effin' business decisions, how do they work?

aka driving a franchise into the ground. Thx for playing! The Duke is dead.

45. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 19:36 space captain

its only indefensible if you have no clue how the vampiric economy works

seriously - if you think the industrial world is "fair and balanced" you need to get your fucking head examined

Go forth, and kill!

44. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 17:58 Bhruic

eRe4s3r wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:10:
What'd be the point of pre-ordering the game if it were included? Exactly, there'd be none.

And there shouldn't be. The whole concept of "pre-order" came about during the physical copies days. You pre-ordered a game to ensure that there'd be a copy waiting for you on release day, because if you didn't, there was a decent chance they'd be sold out.

With digital sales - and therefore "unlimited" copies - that reason no longer exists. At best, you can do a preload. But apparently developers and/or publishers fell in love with them so much that they wanted to keep them going, so now they offer extras to try and entice people into pre-orders. I assume it makes business sense, as otherwise it's pretty dumb, but in a lot of ways they could just get rid of it altogether.

43. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 17:51 Dagnamit

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:25:
finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:46:
Also remember that 'gearbox' was the punchline to the longest running internet joke ever called 'DNF' which everyone seems to have forgiven them for.
Mostly because they had a good enough pedigree of making entertaining games before that. Anyone who expected that thirteen-year-clusterfuck of a mess to come out squeaky clean and amazing after only a year in Gearbox's hands was just delusional.

Gearbox makes good games, not miracles, even if Randy Pitchford seems to disagree on that last point.

..and yet they arrogantly took on the job. They probably knew it was going to be a stinker also, but that did not stop them from asking a FULL Triple 'A' price for it either despite only having worked for a year on it. Of course they DLC'd the shit out of that game too.

Yes I know it's pretty cheap now, that is the price it should've been to begin with.

Gearbox bought a well known IP with ridiculous earnings potential on the cheap, and all they had to do finish a turd and get it out the door. Effin' business decisions, how do they work?

42. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 17:25 RailWizard

finga wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:46:
Also remember that 'gearbox' was the punchline to the longest running internet joke ever called 'DNF' which everyone seems to have forgiven them for.
Mostly because they had a good enough pedigree of making entertaining games before that. Anyone who expected that thirteen-year-clusterfuck of a mess to come out squeaky clean and amazing after only a year in Gearbox's hands was just delusional.

Gearbox makes good games, not miracles, even if Randy Pitchford seems to disagree on that last point.

41. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 16:49 dj LiTh

Awkward!  

40. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 16:21 Cutter

Just one more reason not to buy this game! Don't buy it!  

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

39. Re: Borderlands 2 Mechromancer next Month Sep 4, 2012, 16:06 SimplyMonk

Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:04:
...eeeek Dizzy

Yeah... I think I'm going to go get some more punch... and not come back.

78 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo