Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Returns Art

The Harebrained Schemes Website has a post-PAX update from the developers of Shadowrun Returns, revealing the first art assets from the Kickstarted upcoming RPG revival. Word is: "We’ve already released some character design concept art but this is the first time we’re showing real-live-game-res models of player characters available in the game."

View
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

16. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 18:42 Flatline

Golwar wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 18:35:
I think it looks really good, but it also isn't what I had in mind when I was told that we'd get a "modern SNES Shadowrun".

Anyway, it surely isn't bad at all and if the gameplay is good ...

To be fair that's not what was pitched. What was pitched was "an excellent RPG experience with great storytelling that hearkens back to the SNES and Genesis RPGs".

Not "a modern SNES shadowrun".

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 18:35 Golwar

I think it looks really good, but it also isn't what I had in mind when I was told that we'd get a "modern SNES Shadowrun".

Anyway, it surely isn't bad at all and if the gameplay is good ...

14. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 18:12 nin

I agree with people saying the legs are disproportionate, so hopefully they will fix that before the final game. Other than that, as long as we get a deep RPG, and it looks this good, I'm happier'n a pig'n mud.

Yeah, if that's the worst gripe, I'm going to have a ball...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 16:06 Creston

ASeven wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:57:
Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:50:
ASeven wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:39:
Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:33:
Well, Trolls are supposed to be around 9 feet tall, and basically just absolute brick shithouses of muscle and bone. Imagine a large, green gorilla, really. So yeah, their rendition of one here as a goofy looking Tolkien Orc is quite off.

Eh. :-shrug-: :)

What I would love to see included would be Horrors. They were the blight of Earthdawn and they came to the SR universe too, how cool wouldn't it be to fight one of those?

The timeframe is probably wrong. This is set in the 2050s (ie, the golden age of Shadowrun). I believe the horrors didn't start appearing until after the whole Harlequin saga in the early 60s?

Edit: I rewatched the Q&A with Jordan and Mitch, and they said they're still debating on whether their story will be set before or after Dunkelzahn's death. (which I believe is 2058?) So if it's set after, then it's feasible.

I remember when FASA introduced the Horrors on the SR universe. I was an Earthdawn GM (and I still stick even today to my opinion it was the best original fantasy setting ever made for RPGs) and wondered how the future Earth in Shadowrun would be able to fend off those fuckers. At least the Bloodelf Queen survived from the Earthdawn era to the Shadowrun era.

Spoilers here (though really old ones) :

Dunkelzahn commits suicide on the night of his Inauguration to power something that closes the portal. Harlequin is heavily involved with the whole thing as well. They made an adveture book out of it (which was awesome), and they released three really well-written Shadowrun novels that deals with it. I'd look up the names, but they're stuck in a box somewhere...

Creston

12. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 16:04 Creston

Flatline wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:05:
Cutter wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 13:37:
It's definitely not right for a setting so dark as Shadowrun is. They definitely need to be going for more realistic and gritty. It makes me wonder how many people would pull their funding if they could or not have funded in the first place now.

At least the updates are regular. Haven't heard jack from Fargo and co in a long time.

How do you make a 9 foot troll with horns sticking out of his neck look "realistic"? Especially on the budget they're on?

I own a *lot* of Shadowrun books. And you know what? The artwork is more or less in line with a lot of Shadowrun art. Especially the 2nd edition art, which is the time frame this takes place in. You may find it inappropriate, but what I'm seeing so far could easily go in a splatbook for SR2, and possibly even SR3. Then again, we're judging based on 90% artistic concepts matted with some alpha-quality in-game art.

And I'm fucking sick and tired of "realistic and gritty". We've had 20 years of that in video games and you know what we get? Washed out, uninspired, bland fucking video games where the characters all blend into the back ground and it looks like a plate of dirt. If you want realistic and gritty, go back and look at SRO.

Here's SRO and "realistic and gritty":
http://tinyurl.com/8grgt5k

Here's Shadowrun Returns and "cartoony":
http://tinyurl.com/c6shsq4

I dunno about you, but I'd play in SR:R any day of the week.

Yeah, I definitely agree there. Btw, it turns out I was wrong, the character I was referring to was actually an Orc, not a Troll. There is a Troll shown in the Stuffer Shack image, and he definitely looks the way a Troll should.

I agree with people saying the legs are disproportionate, so hopefully they will fix that before the final game. Other than that, as long as we get a deep RPG, and it looks this good, I'm happier'n a pig'n mud.

Creston

11. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 15:47 Zoom

ASeven wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:57:
I remember when FASA introduced the Horrors on the SR universe. I was an Earthdawn GM (and I still stick even today to my opinion it was the best original fantasy setting ever made for RPGs) and wondered how the future Earth in Shadowrun would be able to fend off those fuckers.
Basically, they dont. The very few people who are really aware of this menace and how to fight them (and the related use of filament magic) are Harlequin & co, who are not taken seriously by anyone to start with. So apart from a certain cyber-dead great dragon who's busy fending them no one cares. I am an Eearthdawn GM too btw And i enjoyed playing through the SR2 campaigns a lot. SR3 not as much..
Anyway, "fighting one horror" was a campaign-long scenario, or even a complete suicide mission (or one for the crazy horror hunters in ED). Dont think it's much suitable for a classic RPG style, if you really want that just play Amnesia it's the closest to the experience it would be.
The more classic "infiltrate / exfiltrate / hit / steal .." run scenarios would be nice already, and i hope for a good campaign editor so we can get some epic ones in the future (ohh that Arcology campaign, memories..)

10. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 14:57 ASeven

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:50:
Well, Trolls are supposed to be around 9 feet tall, and basically just absolute brick shithouses of muscle and bone. Imagine a large, green gorilla, really. So yeah, their rendition of one here as a goofy looking Tolkien Orc is quite off.

What I would love to see included would be Horrors. They were the blight of Earthdawn and they came to the SR universe too, how cool wouldn't it be to fight one of those?

The timeframe is probably wrong. This is set in the 2050s (ie, the golden age of Shadowrun). I believe the horrors didn't start appearing until after the whole Harlequin saga in the early 60s?

Edit: I rewatched the Q&A with Jordan and Mitch, and they said they're still debating on whether their story will be set before or after Dunkelzahn's death. (which I believe is 2058?) So if it's set after, then it's feasible.

I remember when FASA introduced the Horrors on the SR universe. I was an Earthdawn GM (and I still stick even today to my opinion it was the best original fantasy setting ever made for RPGs) and wondered how the future Earth in Shadowrun would be able to fend off those fuckers. At least the Bloodelf Queen survived from the Earthdawn era to the Shadowrun era.

9. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 14:56 Agent.X7

I don't mind it. I chipped in a a nice chunk from my store, and I'm happy with the results so far.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 14:45 ASeven

It's definitely not right for a setting so dark as Shadowrun is. They definitely need to be going for more realistic and gritty. It makes me wonder how many people would pull their funding if they could or not have funded in the first place now.

At least the updates are regular. Haven't heard jack from Fargo and co in a long time.

Brian is quite active in the W2 forums, even showing off some in game footage already.

7. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 14:05 Flatline

How do you make a 9 foot troll with horns sticking out of his neck look "realistic"? Especially on the budget they're on?

I own a *lot* of Shadowrun books. And you know what? The artwork is more or less in line with a lot of Shadowrun art. Especially the 2nd edition art, which is the time frame this takes place in. You may find it inappropriate, but what I'm seeing so far could easily go in a splatbook for SR2, and possibly even SR3. Then again, we're judging based on 90% artistic concepts matted with some alpha-quality in-game art.

And I'm fucking sick and tired of "realistic and gritty". We've had 20 years of that in video games and you know what we get? Washed out, uninspired, bland fucking video games where the characters all blend into the back ground and it looks like a plate of dirt. If you want realistic and gritty, go back and look at SRO.

Here's SRO and "realistic and gritty":
http://tinyurl.com/8grgt5k

Here's Shadowrun Returns and "cartoony":
http://tinyurl.com/c6shsq4

I dunno about you, but I'd play in SR:R any day of the week.

6. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 13:37 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 11:50 Creston

nin wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:18:
I thought it all looked good (esp the city block drawings), but I have to admit I have no previous experience with the SR universe...

Creston

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 12:09.

4. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 11:39 ASeven

I thought it all looked good (esp the city block drawings), but I have to admit I have no previous experience with the SR universe...

3. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 11:33 Creston

Eh. :-shrug-:

Creston

2. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 11:18 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Shadowrun Returns Art Sep 4, 2012, 11:08 Creston

Many backers are voicing complaints over the "cartoony" feel of the character models, especially the Troll. Kinda gotta agree to it, but the game will be played from a zoomed-away perspective, so I doubt it'll be all that noticeable in game.

In any case, it looks MUCH better than I thought it was going to, so as long as they deliver the deep and satisfying RPG part, the cool graphics are just gravy, as far as I'm concerned.

Creston

16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo