Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The surest sign that fall is upon us came this morning, as all the kids were out waiting for the school bus today. The groups we saw all seemed far happier about the prospects of returning to class than I recall being. Anyway, with Labor Day yesterday, today sort of feels like a Monday, but to add to the confusion, there's NFL football tomorrow, so it sort of feels like a Saturday. I guess this makes sense, since Seinfeld taught us that Tuesday has no feel unless you are Kramer.

R.I.P.: Michael Clarke Duncan, Academy Award nominee for 'Green Mile,' dead at 54. Thanks Auger.

Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Zomballoons.
I'm Getting Way too Old to keep Rescuing You.
Meta Error.
Media: Roller Coaster Tycoon in Real Life.
A Very Warped Labor Day.
Stupid Game Show Answers - Oppa Dumb-nam Style.
The Funnies: Savage Chickens.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2012, 08:10 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Sep 5, 2012, 01:20:
Really? And what's the downside to us? Doesn't cost us a dime more than it would have had they run the same schedule last time. It simply provides more people with an opportunity to catch a game they might not ordinarily catch. Your objection makes zero sense.
It reduces the games available to me on Sunday. It causes a requirement for my fantasy team to submit my roster by Thursday evening instead of Sunday morning. It is time I have previously allotted to other activities. And of course it DOES in fact increase our costs. You don't think the NFL Network is distributing their programming to cable and satellite outlets for free do you?

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2012, 06:06 netnerd85

nin wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 10:37:
Yeah, I'm rather bummed by Michael's passing. He seemed like a really nice guy.

Goodnight, Papa Bear

Indeed, it's crap

15. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2012, 04:21 jdreyer

MC Duncan also did a surprising number of video games, according to his IMDB page.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

14. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 5, 2012, 01:20 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:30:
Don't kid yourself -- the NFL is doing this for their benefit, not yours. I see it as a money grab by the richest sport in the US.

You like it. I don't. Let's leave it at that.

Really? And what's the downside to us? Doesn't cost us a dime more than it would have had they run the same schedule last time. It simply provides more people with an opportunity to catch a game they might not ordinarily catch. Your objection makes zero sense.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 20:23 RailWizard

nin wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 10:37:

Goodnight, Papa Bear

Pork-rind this! Pork-rind this! Yeaaaahh!

12. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 19:53 Sepharo

I guess when your job is watching NFL games it sucks that you need to work an extra day.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 17:46 killer_roach

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 17:30:
Don't kid yourself -- the NFL is doing this for their benefit, not yours. I see it as a money grab by the richest sport in the US.

Then again, it's the only one of the four major sports in the US that doesn't have events every day of the week. Keep that in mind (although not too loudly, don't want to give Goodell any ideas).

10. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 17:30 Mr. Tact

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 16:20 Cutter

Jivaro wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:48:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:25:
Uh, no. I have been watching football on Sundays with 3-4 TVs all with the NFL game package for approaching a decade now. My friends and I nearly have it down to a science. Rarely are there more than three games on at the same time that are "can't miss games." We usually bounce around between games just to avoid commercials (although occasionally they screw us by getting all the games time-outs in sync).

Current setup, main TV 65" plasma, 2 secondary HDTV projections approx 50".

Awesome for you, but for the vast majority of people...I am going to go ahead and guess that one game in prime time, at the end of a long work day, is a welcome event, and that most fans appreciate the added opportunity.

I have the whole package with DirecTV, so I can watch every game regardless, but I still appreciate the Thursday game for what it is. Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night I get to enjoy at least 1 game and a beer with family and friends. Bitching about it seems like bitching that the double chocolate fudge brownie cheesecake you ordered for dessert has chocolate syrup drizzled over it.

Thank you for putting that so well, Jiv. Yeah, some of us work weekends from time to time, Mondays - and now Thursdays - means I can still catch something beyond highlights if I'm working the weekend now. And there's plenty of us in that boat. How there's a downside to any of this is beyond me.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 15:48 Jivaro

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 14:25:
Uh, no. I have been watching football on Sundays with 3-4 TVs all with the NFL game package for approaching a decade now. My friends and I nearly have it down to a science. Rarely are there more than three games on at the same time that are "can't miss games." We usually bounce around between games just to avoid commercials (although occasionally they screw us by getting all the games time-outs in sync).

Awesome for you, but for the vast majority of people...I am going to go ahead and guess that one game in prime time, at the end of a long work day, is a welcome event, and that most fans appreciate the added opportunity.

I have the whole package with DirecTV, so I can watch every game regardless, but I still appreciate the Thursday game for what it is. Sunday, Sunday night, Monday night, and Thursday night I get to enjoy at least 1 game and a beer with family and friends. Bitching about it seems like bitching that the double chocolate fudge brownie cheesecake you ordered for dessert has chocolate syrup drizzled over it.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 14:25 Mr. Tact

6. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 14:00 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 10:32:
I'm so annoyed with NFL and their NFL Network Thursday night games. Both with the fact they are on the NFL Network (even though I have it) and that the occasional Thursday games have now become an EVERY week event. *sigh*

No way, it's much better! The opportunity to see one more gme you normally wouldn't have had the chance to see because it was lumped in with everything else on Sunday.

And I guess John Coffee is off to mouse heaven to see Mr. Jingles an give him some more cornbread.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 11:17 Wowbagger_TIP

Wow, tragic news. I always liked seeing Duncan in movies. He was a really good actor and just fun to watch. So sad to see him go so soon.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

4. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 10:54 Verno

Rattlehead wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 10:27:
I was totally shocked to hear about Michael's passing. What a tragic loss. RIP my friend. I just watched Talladega Nights the other night too.

Agreed, really talented guy.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

3. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 10:37 nin

Goodnight, Papa Bear

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 10:32 Mr. Tact

I'm so annoyed with NFL and their NFL Network Thursday night games. Both with the fact they are on the NFL Network (even though I have it) and that the occasional Thursday games have now become an EVERY week event. *sigh*  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 10:27 Rattlehead

I was totally shocked to hear about Michael's passing. What a tragic loss. RIP my friend. I just watched Talladega Nights the other night too.  

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo