Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines

Gearbox Software has backed off of previous indications there would not be any female playable characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines, their upcoming shooter, reports Eurogamer. "We realized some people were starting to feel bad. We exist to entertain people," Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford told the assemblage at PAX. "I want everybody to be clear that there are playable females in both the multiplayer and the campaign."

View
54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

54. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 5, 2012, 00:35 RailWizard

Draugr wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 15:09:
RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:18:
InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 08:59:
These guys have been working how long on the game???

Since its soooo easy to insert another playable character into the narrative of the story, regardless of gender, Im worried that the game is going to turn out like most other Gearbox games. IE Shit.

In any case I would like to start a petition for a transgender playable character because.....well just because.

Have to agree on that. I'm leery of anything coming out of gearbox. They have turd polishing down quite nicely.

I'M assuming like most alien games, this will be a voiceless protagonist, therefore it won't really effect the story one way or the other, hence why it is so easy to drop in... You can even pretend the person your playing is transgender - Transgender people look like men and women, so it's covered -That being said I doubt there is going to be any sex in this game so I suspect determining if your sexual preference or gender identity is pretty irrelevant.

I think it's hilarious we are having this kind of discussion about media, considering this IP was started by a girl casted in a role written for a man.
Strangely enough, when that happened, it didn't ruin the movie.

Heh well ya I'm aware the first movie was really more metaphor than anything else. It was about rape pretty much. I prefer to take it for what it is, a sci-fi movie about aliens.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

53. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 15:09 Draugr

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:18:

Since its soooo easy to insert another playable character into the narrative of the story, regardless of gender, Im worried that the game is going to turn out like most other Gearbox games. IE Shit.

In any case I would like to start a petition for a transgender playable character because.....well just because.

Have to agree on that. I'm leery of anything coming out of gearbox. They have turd polishing down quite nicely.

I'M assuming like most alien games, this will be a voiceless protagonist, therefore it won't really effect the story one way or the other, hence why it is so easy to drop in... You can even pretend the person your playing is transgender - Transgender people look like men and women, so it's covered -That being said I doubt there is going to be any sex in this game so I suspect determining if your sexual preference or gender identity is pretty irrelevant.

I think it's hilarious we are having this kind of discussion about media, considering this IP was started by a girl casted in a role written for a man.
Strangely enough, when that happened, it didn't ruin the movie.

52. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 13:24 Ant

RailWizard wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:22:
Ant wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 04:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 04:04:
Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 17:13:
And...

Vasquez: Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are.
Drake: Go, Vasquez. Kick ass.
Vasquez: Anytime, anywhere, man!
Hudson: Right, right. Somebody said "alien" she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up!
Vasquez: Fuck you, man!
Hudson: Anytime, anywhere.

Goddamn you Aliens quoting Fckers. It's 10PM on a worknight, and now I'm throwing my Aliens BRD into the player.

"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --Aliens movie

Ok we've got 7 canisters of CN-20, I say we roll them in there and nerve-gas the whole fucking nest.
Ugh, now I want to rewatch the movie and play a good ALIENS game. "Game over man, game over!"

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

51. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 12:22 RailWizard

Ant wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 04:08:
And...

Hudson: Right, right. Somebody said "alien" she thought they said "illegal alien" and signed up!

Goddamn you Aliens quoting Fckers. It's 10PM on a worknight, and now I'm throwing my Aliens BRD into the player.

"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the queen." "Yeah the mamma. She is bad*ss, man. I mean big." "These things ain't ants estupido." "I know that." --Aliens movie

Ok we've got 7 canisters of CN-20, I say we roll them in there and nerve-gas the whole fucking nest.

50. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 12:18 RailWizard

49. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 09:57 Beamer

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 07:35:
yuastnav wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 06:01:
There is no such thing as "political correctness". It is a myth.
Everything you do and say is only subject to your own set of morals which may include accepting social norms so as not to stick out. Political correctness, however, does not exist.

Whoa, whoa, okay there, Camus. Whatever you say.

To support Jerykk's point further, women still only make 70 cents to the dollar in comparison to men. Even adjusting the statistics for life choices only nets 91 cents to the dollar. More importantly, they are seen as superior in social/communicative (including PR) roles, and dominant the service industry. I won't spend the time to find statistics relevant to the male-dominated customers of gaming stores, but it's generally accepted that the male 13-30 crowd is the core.

Who cares about that? Men are being forced to include women in their hobbies! Otherwise they get mocked! The world, she's ending!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

48. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 09:39 MisterBenn

Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen! (I arrived late and the best quotes were already taken)

Oh, and I hope they test this game properly, I want a stand up fight, not another bug hunt!!!

Playing: Path of Exile, Pandora: First Contact

47. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 08:59 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

46. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 08:19 finga

Hump wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 22:01:
How about addressing the mincing, light-in-the-loafers Aliens and THEN worry about custom gender roles there fellas?
Custom gender roles?

There are a maximum of two known genders in all animal species the scientific world knows of. Female is not a "custom" gender.

45. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 07:35 NewMaxx

yuastnav wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 06:01:
Everything you do and say is only subject to your own set of morals which may include accepting social norms so as not to stick out. Political correctness, however, does not exist.

Whoa, whoa, okay there, Camus. Whatever you say.

To support Jerykk's point further, women still only make 70 cents to the dollar in comparison to men. Even adjusting the statistics for life choices only nets 91 cents to the dollar. More importantly, they are seen as superior in social/communicative (including PR) roles, and dominant the service industry. I won't spend the time to find statistics relevant to the male-dominated customers of gaming stores, but it's generally accepted that the male 13-30 crowd is the core.

44. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 06:01 yuastnav

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 04:24:
Remember when movies used to be NOT Politically Correct??

Remember when games used to be NOT Politically Correct??

*sigh*

Shit used to be a lot better when people were...you know actually expressing themselves instead of expressing what is 'expected' of them. Damn I miss those times....

43. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 04:56 Prez

InBlack wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 04:24:

*sigh*

Shit used to be a lot better when people were...you know actually expressing themselves instead of expressing what is 'expected' of them. Damn I miss those times....

I'm SO with you brother. Art invariably suffers when it is beholden to arbitrary societal mandates instead of the pure essence of the artist's vision. So few people seem to grasp that concept; or rather so many seem to accept it as an acceptable tradeoff. To me it isn't; anything that compromises the purity of the vision damages (if not outright destroys) the value of the art itself. Games are no different despite their relative infancy as a medium.

Luckily in the case of Colonial Marines the inclusion of the female marines makes sense beyond simply satisfying the ever-growing perpetually-offended segment of society.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 05:02.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 04:24 InBlack

*sigh*

I have a nifty blue line!

41. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 04:08 Ant

And...

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

40. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 04:04 jdreyer

And...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

39. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 03:08 Luke

JohnBirshire wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 21:40:
I have a ton of female gamers who visit my store.

I hope you sell more than video games there, because retail game stores aren't going to exist in about five years. Many PC games, and now the next generation of consoles, are all going to be download only.

Sadly yes it will all be DLC : Pay to go left , pay to go right.... Book

But as always people will say : If you don't want it don't pay for it

38. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 02:04 Prez

However, if brick & mortar stores are filled with attractive young women, that offers added incentive for young male consumers (the primary demographic of GameStop) to shop there.

Hell, this is news to me, but now that I know I have an incentive to shop there, and I'm definitely not young. Old and slightly creepy is more like it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

37. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 01:17 Jerykk

Jivaro wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 01:15:
@Jerykk: Totally, I wouldn't disagree that this is definitely part of the reason. It is not the only reason though. If it was, Gamestop would go all Hooters style with the uniforms.

I totally wouldn't be surprised if they eventually stoop to that level and start hiring booth babes. That said, hiring people that know little to nothing about gaming wouldn't really be much of a change for them.

36. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 01:15 Jivaro

@Jerykk: Totally, I wouldn't disagree that this is definitely part of the reason. It is not the only reason though. If it was, Gamestop would go all Hooters style with the uniforms.  

35. Re: Playable Female Characters in Aliens: Colonial Marines Sep 4, 2012, 01:01 Jerykk

Add to that the trend of Gamestop hiring many more women then it used to. At least that is my impression over the last 5 years. The 3 stores in my area went from no women employees being nearly entirely women.

I'm pretty sure that has nothing to do with female gamers and everything to do with wanting to appeal to male consumers. With the rise of digital distribution and online stores that offer better selections, lower prices and greater convenience, the appeal of brick & mortar stores is starting to wane. However, if brick & mortar stores are filled with attractive young women, that offers added incentive for young male consumers (the primary demographic of GameStop) to shop there.

I believe in fair representation and pleasing all of your fanbase (not just the heterosexual white male portion), but I can't stand when shit that doesn't fit is shoehorned into a game for the sake of being politically correct. That wouldn't at all be the case here if female marines were included. It would just make sense.

I don't think realism should be the sole determinant of whether or not a game includes female characters. Choice is the foundation of gameplay and a lot of guys just like playing as chicks, even when it isn't entirely realistic. For example, in the upcoming Conquistador RPG, you do have the option as playing as a woman and having women in your party. Historically, that's total nonsense but being able to choose your gender is a standard of RPGs.

Also, you should totally support Conquistador.

This comment was edited on Sep 4, 2012, 01:09.

54 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo