Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Labor Day Consolidation

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 12:06 reisub

Verno wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 12:03:
Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:17:
jacobvandy wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 16:11:
Exactly. Every doofus is taking this "news story" as WII-U DOESN'T SUPPORT 1080P AFTER ALL DURRR. The reality is that BiowEAr aren't doing any work at all to take advantage of the new console's better hardware, opting instead for a straight port from Xbox/PS3. I'm curious if that means it will run that 720p at a better framerate or if it will be about the same, because it will have to overcome some lack of optimization with brute force.

I think the 360 version of ME3 runs in 1080p?

Creston

Haha no way, I'd be surprised if it ran at 720p natively without upscaling.
I think it does. http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 12:03 Verno

Creston wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 11:17:
Exactly. Every doofus is taking this "news story" as WII-U DOESN'T SUPPORT 1080P AFTER ALL DURRR. The reality is that BiowEAr aren't doing any work at all to take advantage of the new console's better hardware, opting instead for a straight port from Xbox/PS3. I'm curious if that means it will run that 720p at a better framerate or if it will be about the same, because it will have to overcome some lack of optimization with brute force.

Creston

Haha no way, I'd be surprised if it ran at 720p natively without upscaling.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

17. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 12:01 reisub

Mass Effect 3 = 1280x720 with FXAA on 360 and PS3.  

16. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 11:17 Creston

Creston

15. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 09:13 Verno

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 15:21:
It just sounds like EA is doing a sloppy cheap port to cash in on Wii U's newness.

We won't know what the Wii U can really do until a year and a half or so after it has launched.

Yep my thoughts exactly.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

14. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 02:36 entr0py

Eh, I won't draw any conclusions based on a single last gen port being in 720p. The Xbox 360 had high profile games that ran at less than 720p, but they were the exception not the rule.

13. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 01:13 Jerykk

Matshock wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 00:54:
Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 00:19:
I hope they emphasize texture resolution because that's the only thing the PC versions won't be able to easily fix.

That's what I'm talking about- you can have a 1080P resolution but a 480P texture- the lower res texture just get overdrawn to the display resolution. That can take the jaggies out of the geometry but the surfaces still look blurry/pixelated.

One usually can't fit a full game's worth of X1080 textures into a GB or two of VRAM- you have to stream them from the HDD. Consumer grade optical drives don't have the access speed needed to do it (yet).

Texture resolution and render resolution are completely separate things. I believe the max texture resolution for current GPUs is 4096x4096. This resolution doesn't change with your render resolution. You could render at 800x600 and still have the 4096x4096 textures. Because of current gen console memory limits, the standard texture resolution for most props and environments is 512x512 while characters and weapons are typically 1024x1024. However, on PC, there are many unofficial texture packs that have 4096x4096 textures. You generally need at least 1 gig of VRAM and 4 gigs of system RAM to use these. I seriously doubt next-gen consoles will have enough memory to handle 4096x4096 textures but 2048x2048 textures are plausible.

12. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 00:54 Matshock

Jerykk wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 00:19:
I hope they emphasize texture resolution because that's the only thing the PC versions won't be able to easily fix.

That's what I'm talking about- you can have a 1080P resolution but a 480P texture- the lower res texture just get overdrawn to the display resolution. That can take the jaggies out of the geometry but the surfaces still look blurry/pixelated.

One usually can't fit a full game's worth of X1080 textures into a GB or two of VRAM- you have to stream them from the HDD. Consumer grade optical drives don't have the access speed needed to do it (yet).

11. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 4, 2012, 00:19 Jerykk

10. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 23:46 Beamer

Matshock wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 22:43:
I bet XBOX 720/ PS4 are 1080P. I bet WII U won't have a hard drive so 1080P would just end up over-scanning the textures anyway.

I'll end up buying a WII U when it's under $100.00 pre-owned- something to play with my children- Nintendo still has some fun IPs not meaningfully reproduced on other platforms.

They will definitely be 1080p, but so is the current gen. It's a question of what percentage of titles actually are 1080p.\

I'm ok with not all, some either being 720p or 1080i. For some titles you'd rather other things be emphasized over frame rate (so long as it's over 30) or resolution. For others those are the two most important elements. Neither necessarily make or break a game so long as they're within certain tolerances.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

9. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 23:40 Jerykk

Matshock wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 22:43:
I bet XBOX 720/ PS4 are 1080P. I bet WII U won't have a hard drive so 1080P would just end up over-scanning the textures anyway.

What does hard drive space have to do with render resolution..? Render resolution is limited by VRAM, not hard drive space.

8. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 22:43 Matshock

I'll end up buying a WII U when it's under $100.00 pre-owned- something to play with my children- Nintendo still has some fun IPs not meaningfully reproduced on other platforms.

7. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 20:08 Jerykk

I can pretty much guarantee that the standard res for "next-gen" games won't be 1080p. PC hardware has advanced too much for consoles to catch up while staying within a mainstream price range. Although next-gen consoles will have better graphics than current-gen consoles, this will be a result of higher-res textures (due to more available memory) and DX11 effects, not higher resolutions or framerates.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though. If console games have decent texture resolutions and native DX11 support, PCs can take care of the render resolutions, framerates and AA.

6. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 19:55 Jensen

I'm not convinced the next Sony and Microsoft systems will run all games at 1080P, considering that a lot of current games don't even run at 720P.

If using double the fill rate for more effects instead of higher resolution is more noticeable to most consumers, the developers will stick with a lower resolution.

Nintendo is good about providing a consistently good framerate in their games, and puts that above graphical detail. I'm fine with that.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2012, 20:20.

5. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 16:11 jacobvandy

Silicon Avatar wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 15:21:
It just sounds like EA is doing a sloppy cheap port to cash in on Wii U's newness.

We won't know what the Wii U can really do until a year and a half or so after it has launched.

4. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 15:21 Silicon Avatar

3. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 15:09 Dev

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 14:33:
Nintendo thinks they're gonna wave their magic profit wand around again with absolute turd hardware like they did with the wii..
It might still work if they had something advanced for the controller. The crap they are doing, isn't it.

Also, it might still work if they price it way lower than everyone else.

2. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 14:33 Mordecai Walfish

agreed. anything purporting to be "next gen" at this point needs to go *at least* 1080p or GTFO.

Nintendo thinks they're gonna wave their magic profit wand around again with absolute turd hardware like they did with the wii..

1. Re: Labor Day Consolidation Sep 3, 2012, 12:51 nin

Mass Effect 3 Wii U won’t support 1080p, dev confirms.

Right off the bat, some titles aren't doing 1080P...not a good sign.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo