Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Mesa Source This Month

The Black Mesa Website now offers a timer, counting down to a September 14th release of this modification that will update the gameplay from Half-Life with the Source engine from Half-Life 2. This project has taken more development time than the gap between the first two Half-Life games, which earned it "vaporware awards" from the impatient pundits at Wired in 2009 and 2010, but it seems this long wait is about to come to an end. Here's word from the forums:

We're freaking out over here! It is so exciting to share this news with you!

• You can now Download the Black Mesa Soundtrack, courtesy of our very own Joel Nielsen, at the very generous price of whatever you want! Enjoy and share!
  • In the near future you'll see our Website, Wiki and Forums all taken down temporarily for renovations.
  • On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.

We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM, but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it's ready! We're doing our best to help bring the immense vision of this project into reality, and we are very excited for what the future brings!

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

16. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 14:05 Mad Max RW

It doesn't matter if it's free or you paid $60. The fact is they couldn't keep any of their promises. I hold people to their word, and when someone can't live up to it multiple times that doesn't bode well. If the thing is great, fine, none of it matters. But taking the tired old white-knighting stance of "Oh, it's free and they don't owe you anything" is apologizing for their inabilities. I've never seen this end well. Maybe Black Mesa will be the first, and that would be a great thing.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 14:04 Ant

D-Rock wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:40:
Wow. I was thrilled to see this news and upon reading further it turns out to be an even bigger disappointment than the long development time. Taking the time to finish it won't bother me at all -- it's been so long already that I wouldn't even notice. 'Releasing' it unfinished is an insult to us fans that have been waiting patiently.
So, don't play it when it comes out. Wait for it to be finally finished. That's what I am doing. I don't want to replay for the previous unfinished parts. And we know it will have bugs on first release.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

14. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:58 Beamer

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:51:
Beelzebud wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:44:
So people whine about not getting a free project "on time", so they give people something play and get crap for "rushing" things.

You can't win with this mentality. It's a free mod made by people in their spare time. If you feel butt-hurt over it, don't play it! They owe you nothing.

If you actually took the time to read you'd notice most people stopped caring how long it took for them to complete the mod and only want something that is finished after eight years of work. Episodic releases are only pandering to the impatient. It shows a loss of interest to get things done. Unless it's brilliant and receives glowingly positive feedback, this will be a morality killer for the team. And then it will never be finished.

What do you think he's apologizing for?
You've literally lost nothing with this game, and all the people that made it are asking for is your time, which they're pretty open about it not being complete so that you can judge whether it gets your time accordingly.

Unless you preordered this for $60 on what are now broken promises... shut up about "apologists." It's a term that, especially when being used for a free mod, makes any user sound like an idiot.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

13. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:53 Yosemite Sam

Tram ride into hell in under two weeks, sweet. Bummer about Xen, still, gonna be nice to fight my way out of BM with updated GFX.  

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

12. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:53 netnerd85

Should be good, cool!  

11. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:51 Mad Max RW

Beelzebud wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:44:
So people whine about not getting a free project "on time", so they give people something play and get crap for "rushing" things.

You can't win with this mentality. It's a free mod made by people in their spare time. If you feel butt-hurt over it, don't play it! They owe you nothing.

If you actually took the time to read you'd notice most people stopped caring how long it took for them to complete the mod and only want something that is finished after eight years of work. Episodic releases are only pandering to the impatient. It shows a loss of interest to get things done. Unless it's brilliant and receives glowingly positive feedback, this will be a morality killer for the team. And then it will never be finished.

10. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:45 nin

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:42:
nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:38:
It's a free mod...try and sound a little more entitled, ok?

Typical apologist reply right there. Try to sound a little less cliched, ok? Next you're going to claim I know nothing about taking on a huge modding project. I dare you.

Eight years and it's not finished.

I don't think I'm even going to play it (if I'm going to replay HL, it'll be HL Source), but go ahead and keep crying. Your tantrum sounds like a small child. Stomp your feet some more, too...

Your attitude is embarrassing.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:44 Beelzebud

8. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:43 Mordecai Walfish

Well it appears that hell has finally frozen over. Gonna marathon Black Mesa Source and then HL2 with a buddy the weekend this comes out =)  

7. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:42 Mad Max RW

nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:38:

Typical apologist reply right there. Try to sound a little less cliched, ok? Next you're going to claim I know nothing about taking on a huge modding project. I dare you.

Eight years and it's not finished.

6. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:41 SM0k3

Wow! I thought this would never get released. Might as well give it a go, although i've sort of lost interest in it.  

5. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:40 D-Rock

Wow. I was thrilled to see this news and upon reading further it turns out to be an even bigger disappointment than the long development time. Taking the time to finish it won't bother me at all -- it's been so long already that I wouldn't even notice. 'Releasing' it unfinished is an insult to us fans that have been waiting patiently.  

4. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:38 nin

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 13:34:
8 years and they are releasing it unfinished. May I direct you to the recent RPS interview where they explicitly said corners would not be cut.

After such a ridiculously long development cycle this is the perfect example of cutting corners to rush things out. The apologists are out in full force.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:34 Mad Max RW

8 years and they are releasing it unfinished. May I direct you to the recent RPS interview where they explicitly said corners would not be cut.

After such a ridiculously long development cycle this is the perfect example of cutting corners to rush things out. The apologists are out in full force.

2. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:30 wtf_man

I totally lost interest in this when they changed it from a "re-make" to a "re-imagination", which means it won't be true to the original game. ...And without Xen (like it or not) it's not complete.  

1. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 13:25 Ant

Finally! I will wait for it to be 100% finished and fix the bugs though.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo