Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Black Mesa Source This Month

The Black Mesa Website now offers a timer, counting down to a September 14th release of this modification that will update the gameplay from Half-Life with the Source engine from Half-Life 2. This project has taken more development time than the gap between the first two Half-Life games, which earned it "vaporware awards" from the impatient pundits at Wired in 2009 and 2010, but it seems this long wait is about to come to an end. Here's word from the forums:

We're freaking out over here! It is so exciting to share this news with you!

• You can now Download the Black Mesa Soundtrack, courtesy of our very own Joel Nielsen, at the very generous price of whatever you want! Enjoy and share!
  • In the near future you'll see our Website, Wiki and Forums all taken down temporarily for renovations.
  • On September 14th you will see the first release of Black Mesa! This will include our re-envisioning of Half-Life all the way up to Lambda Core. We believe this is a great way to provide a complete-feeling 8-10 hour experience with a solid ending, make our fans happy and help us make the best overall game possible.

We are still working hard on Xen and BMDM, but instead of making you wait we are giving you Black Mesa as soon as it's ready! We're doing our best to help bring the immense vision of this project into reality, and we are very excited for what the future brings!

View
96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

76. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:42 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:35:
Completely remaking every asset, level, sound, model, texture, etc. of the game is "small scale"? With no team and undocumented tools. What have you done? Besides living vicariously through the Black Mesa thread on the Steam forums.

Ah, Max my friend, again, you talk garbage. Until today, I've not posted on the Black Mesa thread in many, many months. Not exactly living vicariously, now is it?

What have I done? Mod wise? Nothing. Well, not quite true. I made a couple of Doom levels back in the 90s (they stank, man, were they bad!) and using screen shots before it was released, ported some of the Dark Forces weapons into Doom. Pretty bad too.

Other than that? I've been a software engineer, programmer, and for the past 6 years, a Sys Admin. So? I don't go around criticising other software engineers, programmers or sys admins needlessly and in the most arrogant, trolling kind of way.

Criticise the BM:S team all you want (and you will), but the average poster/reader here will see you for what you are - someone who values their opinion very highly, and everyone else be damned.

You come off like a spoilt, teenage troll.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

75. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:35 Mad Max RW

pnag wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:25:
Again, I know you produced some nice small scale AvP mods - but what of the scale of Black Mesa?

Completely remaking every asset, level, sound, model, texture, etc. of the game is "small scale"? With no team and undocumented tools. What have you done? Besides living vicariously through the Black Mesa thread on the Steam forums.

74. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:27 pnag

ASeven wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:25:
Now you're just plain trolling.

Exactly. That's all he's got.

73. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:25 ASeven

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:21:
This is what happens when dealing with illiterate apologists. I'm sure their favorite movie is Prometheus and they voted for Obama, too.

Now you're just plain trolling.

72. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:25 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 09:21:
This is what happens when dealing with illiterate apologists. I'm sure their favorite movie is Prometheus and they voted for Obama, too.

Oh, Max, your arrogance knows no bounds. I see you've learnt *nothing* at all.

I'm Irish, so couldn't have voted in the US, but probably would have voted for Obama. Yup, liked Prometheus too. Favourite movie? No, it was far too flawed for that - wouldn't even make my top 100.

But guess what?!? You never answered my question.

What large scale mod have you produced?

Again, I know you produced some nice small scale AvP mods - but what of the scale of Black Mesa?

71. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:21 Mad Max RW

70. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 09:10 pnag

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:05:
...The fact is they couldn't keep any of their promises. I hold people to their word, and when someone can't live up to it multiple times that doesn't bode well. If the thing is great, fine, none of it matters. But taking the tired old white-knighting stance of "Oh, it's free and they don't owe you anything" is apologizing for their inabilities. I've never seen this end well. Maybe Black Mesa will be the first, and that would be a great thing.

Max! How are you? You used to post on the Black Mesa thread on the Steam forums.

Seems your attitude didn't go over too well here? I know you've made AvP mods, but something of the Black Mesa size/standard?

69. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 08:54 Whiskers

It's free, I loved Half Life, I'm looking forward to seeing what they've done. Excited to play it after watching it develop for so long. Glad they were able to stick with it and get something released.  

68. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 08:00 Titus

If it takes this long for Valve to finish HL3, I'm sure these guys can be given a break for taking 8 years to finish this..  

67. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 07:02 theyarecomingforyou

InBlack wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 04:54:
Am I correct in assuming that this requires a Half Life 2 instalation? Hmmm never thought I was gonna download that sucker again from the Steam library....
As far as I'm aware the requirement is for the Source SDK, not a particular game. Considering that TF2 is F2P it should be accessible to everyone with a Steam account, unless there are some unforeseen consequences (pun intended).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

66. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 05:17 Flatline

Mad Max RW wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 14:05:
The fact is they couldn't keep any of their promises. I hold people to their word, and when someone can't live up to it multiple times that doesn't bode well.

When you get out of your mom's basement, you're going to find the world is a pretty harsh, uncaring place with that kind of attitude.

65. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 04:54 InBlack

Am I correct in assuming that this requires a Half Life 2 instalation? Hmmm never thought I was gonna download that sucker again from the Steam library....  

I have a nifty blue line!

64. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 04:51 InBlack

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 20:05:
I really liked the Xen sequence at the end of Half-Life (okay, the Super Mario/Gordon jumping was a tad annoying) because as awesome as Black Mesa was, one can only spend so much time in it before it becomes old hat. Xen was a perfect and much needed fresh angle, and suitably and deliciously foreign and alien. To me anyway - judging by the near universal dislike of the Xen levels it is clear I am in the distinct minority.

I too was ok with the Xen levels. The atmosphere was pretty good and alien enough. Although the jump and run mario ending combined with the strange blob boss at the end was a real WTF?? moment.

Oh and Mad Max II or whatever you call yourself you are a douchebag, dirtbat, nerdbag, trollicker. Go lick some trolls.

I have a nifty blue line!

63. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 03:46 hoolaparara

Ah now I understand the panic shopping at the supermarket.  

62. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:49 MattyC

I had written this off a long time ago, but if it is coming I could see this being awesome.  

61. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:46 Ratty

peteham wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 17:30:
Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 17:09:
Like others I have long since lost interest in this project, but as one who has proclaimed publicly that this project was vaporware and would never be released I guess now it's time to admit publicly I was wrong. I may try it one day when its complete if the commmunity says it's worth it, but credit to the team I guess for actually sticking with it after all this time and releasing something.
After eight years, I doubt anyone still remembering it didn't have it at least partially filed under vaporware.
Nameless Mod was released 9 years after Deus Ex. I had forgotten about it too and assumed it was another mod that promised too much and fell apart. But it was such a nice surprise when it finally came out and I thoroughly enjoyed it (3 times).

Rather than criticize a team for taking so long I have to give them big props: keeping their vision alive for so long. I couldn't sustain something like that. I tend to give up on big projects after about a year.

60. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:42 Creston

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:27:
You'd be wise to learn meaning of ancient Chinese proverb: "He who look Gift Horse in Mouth Usually Is Eaten by Same" Here's another that goes with it, I think: "He who buys xBox has bitter mouth because he has no mods" And one more: "He who has no Steam account is like angry old woman with no shoes who walks on hot coals"...

Don't forget "Man who live in glass house should not walk around naked."

And Eddie Murphy's classic: "If the shit fits... swell!"

Err, what were we talking about?

Creston

59. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 3, 2012, 01:37 Ratty

Prez wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 20:05:
I really liked the Xen sequence at the end of Half-Life (okay, the Super Mario/Gordon jumping was a tad annoying) because as awesome as Black Mesa was, one can only spend so much time in it before it becomes old hat. Xen was a perfect and much needed fresh angle, and suitably and deliciously foreign and alien. To me anyway - judging by the near universal dislike of the Xen levels it is clear I am in the distinct minority.
Wow! Someone else who liked Xen. I thought I was the only one!

58. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 23:46 nin

"He who has no Steam account is like angry old woman with no shoes who walks on hot coals"...

hahahahaha

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

57. Re: Black Mesa Source This Month Sep 2, 2012, 23:44 TheWitcher

If only Kickstarter was around when these guys first came up with this idea. It probably would have achieved its budget in about 12 seconds Clown  

96 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo