Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Status Report

The Guild Wars 2 Wiki has the latest status on ArenaNet's MMORPG sequel as they work to overcome launch issues. This includes details on tweaks to the game, dealing with capacity issues, and a few important warnings on how to ensure the security of your account. Here's word on plans to open the game's forums: "Our most important priority at the moment is to ensure that the game runs stably and flawlessly. So as to not create additional demand on our infrastructure and on our programming team, we made the decision not to open the forums until the initial mass influx of players has calmed down a bit."

View
77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

77. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 7, 2012, 18:36 NegaDeath

TP occasionally stalls out on me but that's the only issue I have. Now that I dropped Tailor and switched to Huntsman I'm making great progress in both my professions (other is jeweller). Just about to hit level 30 and reach my 1st gold piece too.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

76. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 7, 2012, 09:11 Verno

Still having a great time with the game, TP is fully stable now and haven't had any crashes or other issues. One of the better MMO launches for sure.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

75. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 4, 2012, 14:56 NegaDeath

sauron wrote on Sep 4, 2012, 08:36:

Lots of great points etc etc.

This is the game that overcame most of my issues with MMO's and got me playing the genre again after a very long hiatus, they're certainly doing a lot right.

74. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 4, 2012, 09:02 Verno

Yakubs making vague complaints about Guild Wars 2

I'm sorry to label your posts as trolls but at this point I'm pretty convinced that's the case. There's a big difference between you not being into Guild Wars 2 and it being a bad game. There are plenty of great games that I just don't like, I try not to label them as bad because my personal taste doesn't jive with them but you seem to lack that internal filter.

Guild Wars 2 is a great game and an outstanding value if you are into MMO games. It has no subscription and the F2P model is reasonable. The gold to gem conversion is off right now because of the Trading Post issues but they will clear up and it will be way easier to make money. It has character upscale/downscale which is a huge boon to cooperative play in all game modes. It has a beautifully realized world with lots of stuff to do, after spending 40 hours playing I've only seen 10% of it.

Its weakest mechanism is variety in the events themselves but the beauty of it is that you are never really forced into them. Whenever I get bored with events I go craft, PVP, explore or go into another races zone and level. It's a game not designed to be grinded, you can put it down and go do other things with a clear mind. You never get the sense the game is trying to force into its world with retarded timesinks to keep you playing more. When Borderlands 2 comes out I will put this down for a month then pick it up again happily, unlike most other MMOs.

The value proposition here is incredible and it's one of the few titles of this year that hasn't been a big let down. I thought I was done with MMO games after so many disappointments and WoW derivatives but finally there is a game that doesn't mind going its own way and brings new things to the table.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

73. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 4, 2012, 08:36 sauron

I broke down and picked up a hard copy yesterday, and am glad I did. I have a heavy MMO background, including 8 years in FFXI with 3 years spent raiding 4 times a week, and a year plus in LOTRO. Even after a couple of hours I can see that GW2 brings a lot of new things to the table and it looks very refreshing.

Examples of what GW2 fixes in new ways:

1. Let's say in other games, you're a DPS sick of shouting for a tank/healer? Can't find that critical support job to take care of adds? No problem, the game looks so flexible that a group of good players can probably succeed with any combination of jobs in most cases.

2. Kill stealing? Gone.

3. Resource stealing? Gone.

4. Inventory bag use for crafting mats vs gear? Gone.

5. Some classes unable to solo and left waiting for an invite for hours to level up? No problem, everyone can solo.

6. Can't get an invite to an event that looks fun? No problem, just join in.

7. One member of a group ganking the loot from the chest on boss kill? Gone - loot auto-distributes.

8. Gather time for a low-medium difficulty event, waiting for Jack Bonehead the healer to get his ass out to Nobrainer Gulch? Gone - everything scales and events happen dynamically.

9. Server full? No problem, here's an overflow server.

10. Only got an hour to play? No problem, just run about doing stuff with strangers then log off - very casual friendly.

I'm sure there are more - still figuring it out.

I think my only remaining questions are over:

1. Job balance in more difficult raids and how the jobs all work together in a well-run raid(but I won't even see those for weeks).

2. Also, how deep is crafting (in FFXI it was too much of a timesink, and in LOTRO not enough)?

3. How does the AH work, and does it work?

4. Finally, community development (FFXI community is nice but low-wattage, LOTRO very helpful and very switched on).

In the meantime it's all good.

Kittens!

72. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 23:56 Jivaro

They were smart to only include 5 character slots. I imagine quite a few people will buy 1-3 extra slots at 10 dollars each, if for no other reason then to try all the classes. Five slots allows you to try each race, but you need 8 slots to try all the classes.

Anyway, I think its a great game. I think it does a lot of things right. I think most of those things have been done before, but never so many of them in the same game. Combine that with a few key innovations and it makes it a really fun game.

People who don't like MMOs are still not going to like them, this game isn't some form of magic that will suddenly change people into MMO fans. That won't keep those people from bitching about them, nor will it keep a great many of them from buying the games only to be disappointed. I never really have figured out that part. It seems like there is a good amount of folks that quite clearly don't like the things that make a MMO different from other games...the social aspects, always being online, forced to team to complete objectives, etc etc...and yet they keep trying to buy MMOs. It would be like me buying shooters for a console. I like FPS games. I despise playing them with a gamepad. If I really like a title I have to hope it comes out for PC because all of the fun is literally drained out of the game for me if I have to use a gamepad. So I don't buy them. I might try a new one on a friends console every now and again, but it just reminds me why I don't buy them. I don't comment on them either...because well...obviously I wouldn't have anything good to say. It is a brick wall waiting to be run into and thus I avoid it.

It seems like some people really like running in to brick walls and then sharing their anger and frustration about said wall with everyone else.

71. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 17:04 Flatline

LgFriess wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 10:44
uinn, if you're into this type of game AT ALL, you'll get you're $60 our of it.[/quote:

After about 20 hours of gameplay I believe I've seen 9% of the map. I'm guesstimating that we'll have about as much content as an Elder Scrolls game by the end of it.

70. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 12:50 LittleMe

Any expensive MMO release like GW2 is 'risky' from a business perspective. They took big risks.  

Perpetual debt is slavery.

69. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 11:39 Yifes

Yakubs wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:56:
nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:49:
So that's a "no" then...

You honestly believe people did psychological studies on the fleeting nature of MMORPG fanboyism? I was making a joke. Sorry.

Also, nice try diverting the real topic of conversation. GW2's ostensible "risks" that it took. So, please. Let me know what envelopes GW2 has pushed.

Server versus server WvWvW with matchup switching.

Max level and max gear hot join PvP with server browser and built in tournament functionality.

Everyone gets rewarded for playing together - no kill stealing.

Overflow servers instead of queues.

Just a brief list of the really obvious innovations not to mention dozens of QOL improvements. Either you haven't really played the game, or you're full of shit.

68. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 10:58 Quinn

LgFriess wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 10:44
uinn, if you're into this type of game AT ALL, you'll get you're $60 our of it. The world is big enough and there's enough difference in the characters to get that amount of fun out of it for sure. I'm having a blast just exploring, following my main character's story, and playing around with different weapon/skill abilities. I haven't even hit level 20 yet.

WoW, after playing for years got so damn boring, SWTOR was almost an instant fail due to the small, non interesting worlds and the exact same game play as WoW... just not as good.

Will I still be playing GW2 6 months from now? No idea, but since there is no sub, I don't care. It feels bigger and better then WoW at about every level to me.

Now if they would just get the damn AH up! [/quote:

Thanks for that quick reply!

But.. I think that's just it, I can't seem to grasp what "type of game" this is in the first place

*sigh* Oh well what's 60 bucks, huh? After my third Skyrim playthrough I'll just get it. I bet it's good enough

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

67. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 10:48 Saboth

Dades wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 10:16:
Made over 2g when the TP was up yesterday, people love the 12 slot bags. Being able to sell things directly in the field was genius and well implemented.

I was thrilled when the AH actually came up. It was so nice to be able to obtain items I could actually use. At level 25 I still had level 14 items, items with + healing etc. on them. Once I got done at the ah, I felt about 20% stronger and wasn't struggling so much. I made the mistake of buying a bunch of "invisible" bags though, as I had no idea they hid everything from vendors. Was going to get some others in the AH this morning, and it was down again.

66. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 10:44 LgFriess

Quinn, if you're into this type of game AT ALL, you'll get you're $60 our of it. The world is big enough and there's enough difference in the characters to get that amount of fun out of it for sure. I'm having a blast just exploring, following my main character's story, and playing around with different weapon/skill abilities. I haven't even hit level 20 yet.

WoW, after playing for years got so damn boring, SWTOR was almost an instant fail due to the small, non interesting worlds and the exact same game play as WoW... just not as good.

Will I still be playing GW2 6 months from now? No idea, but since there is no sub, I don't care. It feels bigger and better then WoW at about every level to me.

Now if they would just get the damn AH up!

65. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 10:26 Quinn

For some unexplicable reason neither reviews nor videos are enough for me to draw a proper conclusion on whether or not I want this game.

Arrrgh! What to do?!

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

64. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 10:16 Dades

Made over 2g when the TP was up yesterday, people love the 12 slot bags. Being able to sell things directly in the field was genius and well implemented.  

63. Re: The REAL reason they closed the forums... Sep 3, 2012, 09:46 briktal

saluk wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 02:31:
Yakubs wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 22:52:
Dades wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 16:41:
Nope, WOW is definitely the worse game and probably won't become better with time because it's too mired in mass player appeal at this point to take some risks like GW2.

You're joking, right? "Take some risks"? What risks did GW2 take? Adding dreadfully boring and repetitive Heart quests? Having player models with tiny waists and giant tits to give their target audience a boner? There's literally nothing they added to the genre that's not already out there except perhaps some convenience features.

No, adding the heart quests to keep people around for the real game (the events) was slight backing away from the risk. But building a game around dynamic events was certainly a risk. Not focusing on gear grind, ditto. Scaling your level to match the area your in, a LOT of people complained about how that would ruin their feeling of progression, but I find it one of the best features.

In your case, these risks seem to have failed, because it sounds like you focused on the boring heart quests and missed the game.

Complaints about an mmo not adding anything to the genre are stupid. If it's a bad game for you, it's a bad game for you, regardless of how innovative it is or not. And if its a great game for me, it really doesn't matter if the game is full of completely new ideas; or, if the game takes a bunch of existing ideas and tweaks them slightly to make them fit into a tasty tasty whole. It's been a long time since I have been so addicted. I played WAR for less than a week. I played TOR for 2 months but can't say that even after the first day I ever felt like I was compelled to log on. I've spent a few hours a day or more on GW2 since release.

If you don't like the game, you don't like the game; but you have to be seriously blind not to notice the effort that went into it and the bold choices that have been made.

The only thing in there that was really a risk would've been having the game be entirely about dynamic events. If there were no hearts the game would probably not work.

Also it seems like I was right about something I was worried about. Once I got past level 30 or so (in the beta weekends, the post-30 content was locked), there was a noticeable increase in bugged/unbalanced content.

62. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 08:46 Acleacius

Woo hoo, TP was up for several hours and no crashes. Only experienced one minor bug. Great timing too, I was less than 10 spaces from filling up 5 toons, with 5 bags each. Now they all down to 25% full.

Normally when you click on the sell button you get a pop confirmation to click. The conformation stopped working but I could just click on another TP page (my transactions) then back to the sell page. It still worked but just a little extra effort.

I'm glad for the most part the forums are down, helps them focus and not waste time trying to read all the minor tech support issues. The one exception would be the spoiler forums, since they can be invaluable in finding out about broken quest or asking for help.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

61. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 08:31 Sempai

Get the DAMNED TRADING POST UP ALREADY!  

60. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 05:13 Flatline

I'd also like to take this time out and thank everyone who talks shit about GW2, how WoW is better, blah blah blah.

See, the game is kind of crowded and I'm starting to see some lag here and there, and it blows. More of you need to decide that this game is shit and stop playing so I can go back to my lag-free experience.

So the sooner you succumb to the dark side and troll GW2, the happier I'll be. Unless you're a hypocritical POS and keep playing while you say it sucks and you quit. In that case, catch gonorrhea please.

59. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 05:00 Flatline

Yakubs wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 01:46:
Dades wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 01:37:
Yeah this is a high school debate, I'm going to humor your silly whining, listen deeply and nod my head while you thread shit because you need attention.

or I'm going to gloss over your bullshit and keep having fun. Yeah I think we'll go with door number 2.

High school debate because I actually want information rather than ad hominems? Classic.

"bullshit" because I called you out for lying? Classic.

You ask for real information and reply in made-up bullshit. It's hard to take you seriously.

58. Re: Guild Wars 2 Status Report Sep 3, 2012, 04:20 NegaDeath

I'm on tarnished coast now (thank you free transfers), how does one get into the blues guild? Handle is negadeath.

CannibalBob wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 03:02:
Those brief moments when the AH is up = bliss

Damn I must have missed it, down again.

77 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo