Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Today was another triumph in our war against high fructose corn syrup, as not only did we find more Mexican coke at the supermarket (as well as sugar-sweetened Mexican Sprite and Fanta), we also found a single 12-pack of throwback Pepsi. We were concerned the Pepsi may have been old stock from a forgotten corner of the store-room, but it has an early 2013 sell-by date, so it seems another run of this limited edition soft drink may be in production.

I am Cornholio!!!!!!

R.I.P.: Legendary songwriter Hal David dies in LA at 91.

Sweet Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: City Siege Sniper.
Stories: Bad news for movie fans, U.S. drought hits popcorn crop.
"Hobbit" Trilogy Date & Third Title.
Media: The Pink Five Saga.
You Had One Simple Job.
May The Paws Be With You.
The Funnies: Dilbert.
EXTRALIFE.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 4, 2012, 04:29 eRe4s3r

Nah it hasn't changed, rather it's getting more well known. That your dentist doesn't tell you this should be obvious to you, he isn't earning money when your teeth don't rot.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 20:39 Prez

PHJF wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 12:18:
It doesn't matter what they sweeten it with, it's still horrible for you.

You're absolutely right, zero-calorie diet soda is horrible for me and I should stop drinking it.

I drink diet soda when I'm not drinking Crystal Light, and one thing I noticed is that there is always someone nearby to preach to me about how bad aspertame is every time I do. I've heard a few people on Blues make charges of "organs eventually shutting down" and similar things about it. It seems that unless you abstain from everything except the most mundane, flavorless, and obscure foodstuffs then you are going to die before your time.

I've long since given up. I follow reasonable advice from my doctor about diet, but other than that I eat what I want when I want and pay no attention to food Nazis. If all this jumping through hoops is going to do is extend my mostly unimportant and mundane life by a few years then I have to wonder what is the point? Does the infinite universe give a damn if I live to be 65 or 75? I'd rather enjoy as much of said dull life as I can while I can by doing the few things that actually bring me me pleasure, one of which is eating tasty food.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

45. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 19:04 ^Drag0n^

Actually, I think I remember reading Xytol was quite good for your teeth. Was a while ago, though. Things may have changed.

^D^

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."

44. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 16:24 PHJF

There are enough whole wheat / grain cereals out there nowadays that one has not to suffer the foul taste of Wheaties in the morning. I couldn't care less about the brand. Wheaties simply don't taste good.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

43. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 12:19 nin

Now that you mention it, I have to admit I was going solely on what my wife told me several months ago - I never actually verified it. She does all the grocery shopping so I honestly don't know if she was mistaken and it's still sold in stores or not.

Sounds like she's trying to hog the wheaties, dude!

I did find an article about how their sales have tanked in the last few years and people view them as an "old" brand (IE not hip or popular).

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

42. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 12:18 PHJF

It doesn't matter what they sweeten it with, it's still horrible for you.

You're absolutely right, zero-calorie diet soda is horrible for me and I should stop drinking it.

41. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 10:11 Turglar

Talk about a hollow triumph. How about you just quit drinking sodas? It doesn't matter what they sweeten it with, it's still horrible for you.  

40. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 08:57 xXBatmanXx

Well this went downhill fast.....  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

39. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 07:00 Prez

And yet, his "findings" are questioned by most medical experts and are not confirmed by one study. Not one. HFCS and cane sugar are processed differently by our bodies. That lecture is a viral video and contains as much junk science as 2 weeks worth of shitty news media coverage.

Are there studies that back up the claim that the different sugars (refined versus natural, etc.) are indeed processed differently? This wouldn't be the first time where the minority scientific voice was the right one. It doesn't happen often but it does happen.

nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 23:43:
Speaking of cereal I can't believe they quit making Wheaties

When was that? I don't find mention of it elsewhere?

Now that you mention it, I have to admit I was going solely on what my wife told me several months ago - I never actually verified it. She does all the grocery shopping so I honestly don't know if she was mistaken and it's still sold in stores or not.

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2012, 07:05.

38. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 02:09 Jay

Agent.X7 wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 01:39:
And yet, his "findings" are questioned by most medical experts and are not confirmed by one study. Not one. HFCS and cane sugar are processed differently by our bodies. That lecture is a viral video and contains as much junk science as 2 weeks worth of shitty news media coverage.

I'm guessing you just wiki'ed his name.
He's not some get-rich-quick self-help-diet book writer (although I guess now he became one after that lecture went viral). But doesn't matter - even discarding the lecture altogether, sugar cane sugar essentially turns into HFCS in your body anyway (unless your body can't generate sucrase).

edit: if you want more detail, HFCS is about half glucose and half fructose, separate. Sugar cane sugar (sucrose) is half glucose and half fructose, chemically bonded but broken to component parts (exactly the same as HFCS) by sucrase during digestion.
When your body absorbs them, it doesn't know the difference (again, unless you don't generate enough sucrase due to genetic disorder or whatever).

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2012, 02:20.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 01:39 Agent.X7

Jay wrote on Sep 3, 2012, 01:02:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Here's the famed lecture about sugar and obesity. He makes a point during the lecture that HFCS is no worse than (or more accurately, equally as bad as) sugar cane table sugar because our bodies process them the exact same way.
(about 16min mark)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

36. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2012, 01:02 Jay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Here's the famed lecture about sugar and obesity. He makes a point during the lecture that HFCS is no worse than (or more accurately, equally as bad as) sugar cane table sugar because our bodies process them the exact same way.
(about 16min mark)

This comment was edited on Sep 3, 2012, 01:14.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 23:43 nin

Speaking of cereal I can't believe they quit making Wheaties

When was that? I don't find mention of it elsewhere?

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 23:31 Prez

PHJF wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 22:41:

Works yes.. but why would you eat artificial sweetener for breakfast instead of real honey or sugar?

... because cereal has enough calories already???

Speaking of cereal I can't believe they quit making Wheaties - I always loved those. I stopped eating them regularly a while before they went out of production because of how ridiculous the price got (which is kind of a problem with all cereal when you think about what it is) but I still would have the occasional bowl.

33. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 22:41 PHJF

Works yes.. but why would you eat artificial sweetener for breakfast instead of real honey or sugar?

... because cereal has enough calories already???

32. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 22:22 Prez

nin wrote on Sep 2, 2012, 22:04:
My drink of choice lately is Crystal Lite. I don't really care about my sugar intake ( though Crystal lite has none)

I use the wally world version of that that's sugar free and 10 cal. It's surprisingly decent...

Yep. Me too.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 22:04 nin

My drink of choice lately is Crystal Lite. I don't really care about my sugar intake ( though Crystal lite has none)

I use the wally world version of that that's sugar free and 10 cal. It's surprisingly decent...

30. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 21:48 Prez

My drink of choice lately is Crystal Lite. I don't really care about my sugar intake ( though Crystal lite has none); it's more my sodium I'm watching. I eat a lot of those microwave meals since my schedule is insane and those things are absolutely loaded with sodium, and hypertension and heart disease is a serious problem in my family. Males in my family tend to die in their 50's.  

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 21:24 eRe4s3r

28. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 2, 2012, 20:50 PHJF

Obviously if you want to really sweeten food, you can not get around honey or sugar.

Splenda on unsweetened cereals works very well.

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo