Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed

The City of Heroes Website has news that NCsoft is closing developer Paragon Studios and plans to shut down City of Heroes by the end of this year, in spite of the page's title bar still calling this "The World's Most Popular Superpowered MMO" (thanks McCleod). Here's word:

This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years. These developers are some of the most creative and talented people in the gaming industry. By now, we've all been given this news internally, but to anyone who may be reading this message after the fact; know that your hard work and dedication has not gone unappreciated or unnoticed. To any potential studios looking to grow your team; hire these people. You won't regret it.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You've been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn't have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don't dwell on the "how" or the "why", but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I'll see you in the skies, one last time.

Andy Belford

Community Manager

Paragon Studios.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:08 NKD

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:03:
And now it just will cease to exist. That is what I hate about online games, no one will be able to experience this game again.

There are a lot of experiences people have that will never come again, and that makes the memories even more fond, IMHO.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:03 StingingVelvet

And now it just will cease to exist. That is what I hate about online games, no one will be able to experience this game again.  

7. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:53 Jivaro

Yeah, this was the first MMO that I personally got into, joined a PVP/Endgame guild, etc. I have many friends today that I met through that game and that "supergroup". I had played most of the previous MMOs, but nothing had really grabbed me until CoH.

I live in the Oak/SF bay area. Some years ago when our supergroup was at its peak of activity, one of our British members flew in to meet some of us that lived here in California. It was a group of like 4 or 5 of us, and we spontaneously decided to pop in on Cryptic Studios (developers at the time) and see if they would let us in, give us the tour etc.

When we got there (near San Jose), the doors were locked but there was a receptionist at the door. She came to the door, listened to our geeky story about how this British guy had flown all the way from England just to see the studio...then she laughed. She told us to on a sec, closed the doors and went back inside. Five minutes or so passed and we were sure that we weren't going to get in.

To our surprise, that was about the time about 10 people start coming down the hall in to the main entry. The receptionist opened the door, started handing us swag and invited us in. Jack Emmert, who had a reputation for being fan intolerant at the time, looked a bit uncomfortable but was friendly and answered questions. We got a small tour, Q&A, some shirts, and then we decided to move along before we wore out our welcome. Good times.

Now, we all know that these MMOs can't last forever before we even start playing...and I haven't loaded up a City of Heroes/Villains character in probably 8 months. Still, it is a bit sad to see the game go away. I still think its far better then Cryptic's second offering Champions Online or Warner Interactive's DC Universe. In the MMO genre I suspect that being the best of a small niche like "superheroes" is simply not enough though. Without a big name license like DC, I am fairly surprised it lasted this long. Says a lot about the game and its community really.

6. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:49 Bill Borre

Hopefully SOE will pick up some of these people and they will finally give DCUO a mission editor.  

5. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:47 avianflu

for about 3 months several years ago, it was fun.  

4. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:42 Slashman

Weird. I wouldn't think they would have shut down with the amount of free stuff their F2P model offered.

I thought it would have been one of the more successful F2P MMOs out there.

I know it was definitely showing its age though. Ah well...

3. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:42 Fion

Def sad to hear. I played for years on and off. I used to play it with my nephew all the time, many great memories of course. The developers behind the game are great generally and very interactive with the community. I hope they go on to make even better games.

CoH > All other super hero MMOGs!

2. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:30 MattyB

I don't play anymore, but still sad to hear. I imported this into the UK and played on the US servers when it was first released early 2004 - had many, many enjoyable hours on it. Great fun doing the "Task Force" missions, which went on for hours, but loved it.

Heck, I had hours of enjoyment from the character creator alone !

1. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 15:10 MacLeod

The highlander fan in me must say... "It's Macleod!"

I'm still amazed... it came out of nowhere it seems. Like they just released a power set, they were talking about the development on their new issue and then: Bam! We're closing the studio.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo