Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed

The City of Heroes Website has news that NCsoft is closing developer Paragon Studios and plans to shut down City of Heroes by the end of this year, in spite of the page's title bar still calling this "The World's Most Popular Superpowered MMO" (thanks McCleod). Here's word:

This morning we announced that Paragon Studios will be taking to the skies of City of Heroes for the last time.

In a realignment of company focus and publishing support, NCsoft has made the decision to close Paragon Studios. Effective immediately, all development on City of Heroes will cease and we will begin preparations to sunset the world's first, and best, Super Hero MMORPG before the end of the year. As part of this, all recurring subscription billing and Paragon Market purchasing will be discontinued effective immediately. We will have more information regarding a detailed timeline for the cessation of services and what you can expect in game in the coming weeks.

The team here at Paragon deserves special praise for all that we have accomplished over the last 5+ years. These developers are some of the most creative and talented people in the gaming industry. By now, we've all been given this news internally, but to anyone who may be reading this message after the fact; know that your hard work and dedication has not gone unappreciated or unnoticed. To any potential studios looking to grow your team; hire these people. You won't regret it.

To our Community,

Thank you. Thank you for your years of support. You've been with us every step of the way, sharing in our challenges, encouraging us to make City of Heroes better, more than everyone else thought it could be. We couldn't have come this far without you. I implore you all, focus on the good things of CoH and Paragon Studios. Don't dwell on the "how" or the "why", but rather join us in celebrating the legacy of an amazing partnership between the players and the development team.

Thank you, and I'll see you in the skies, one last time.

Andy Belford

Community Manager

Paragon Studios.

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

29. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:33 Lorcin

eRe4s3r wrote:
Aug 31, 2012, 18:14stuff

I totally understand what your saying, I totally reject your hypothesis but I'm drunk and can't be bothered. If you want to believe CoH will have some cultural significance in years to come then that's just great.

Enjoy your afterlife playing pong.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:23 Ruffiana

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:17:
Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:01:

Mission Architect was never designed to bring subs back. It was just one feature of many in an attempt to stem the loss of players over time.

It was presented to us as the feature designed to perk up the sagging numbers. We never heard about anything else.

Lot of mistakes made with MA and how it was implemented, but the underlying idea of letting people who've invented a superhero character also write their own story content to play and sahre was a good idea no matter how you spin it.

I agree it is a good idea. I appreciate your input and clarification on the matter. It certainly lets me know there was a lot more going on that we were told of. Though, I guess in hindsight, I shouldn't be surprised. The communication within NCA was always terrible, let alone between NCA and the various studios.

Hey, what we're doing and what marketting does with what we're doing are two wholely seperate things. We thought we'd see a bump from it, and we did, but I don't think anyone believed it would turn CoH into a runaway success.

You just stem the flow and ride that pony for as long as you can. If anything, we were at fault for thinking that NCSoft was reasonable and realistic about the business and that when it did eventually reach a point of being usustainable, we'd move on to the next project and start over with something else. Sadly, they seem to be more of the mindset of cutting their loses early when they have something that's marginally successful and doubling down on huge gambles.

Just hearing this news today makes me feel like I've been laid off again.

27. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:19 Kalthorn

Not to be pedantic, but online games do not simply vanish from existence once they are shut down.

The publishers/owners could release the server executables to the public when they shut down, but they choose not to. That is why the game ends, not because of some magical property of being an online game.

We all know that won't happen, but even if it did, just because a new player can see all the same content 5 years after I did doesn't mean they are playing the same game. Patches, content updates, and, most importantly, the community at that point in time are all integral to the "true" game.

You can log into Everquest today and do some quests around Freeport but it won't be anything like it was for me and thousands of others in the weeks/years after launch. Call it zeitgeist or whatever you want, but the true experience of a game, of a work of art, is often wrapped up in the community and culture at that time. Can you play Super Mario Bros. 3 today? Yes. Would that experience be anything like it was when it came out? No. That experience has arguably vanished from existence.

That is sad, true, but like someone else already mentioned, makes the memories fonder. All I'm saying is that this happens regardless of the online/offline properties of a game.

26. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:19 SimplyMonk

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:52:
And even if your memory is there, your memory is a completely irrelevant thing to us, who don't have it.

Nothing is forgotten. Private servers will continue to exist as long as there is interest.

It would be nice though if fallen MMOs released the source and server code for people to muck around with. Could see some nice mods/fan games come out of it.

25. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:17 Burrito of Peace

Mission Architect was never designed to bring subs back. It was just one feature of many in an attempt to stem the loss of players over time.

It was presented to us as the feature designed to perk up the sagging numbers. We never heard about anything else.

Lot of mistakes made with MA and how it was implemented, but the underlying idea of letting people who've invented a superhero character also write their own story content to play and sahre was a good idea no matter how you spin it.

I agree it is a good idea. I appreciate your input and clarification on the matter. It certainly lets me know there was a lot more going on that we were told of. Though, I guess in hindsight, I shouldn't be surprised. The communication within NCA was always terrible, let alone between NCA and the various studios.

24. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:14 eRe4s3r

Everything is part of culture, if you exclude the trash, you are just setting yourself up for future trash,, because if no bad examples of past exist, how do you think people in 50 years will know how NOT to make identical trash all over again?

Yes, everything is part of culture, including this monologue of ours. Monologue, because your thought is irrational. You are essentially arguing that just because a majority finds something bad it should be excluded from our cultural heritage. But whether something is part of culture is not the current living humans business to decide, everything both crappy and non crappy is part of culture. Even if just to be a bad example for future generations.

23. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 18:01 Ruffiana

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:38:
Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:33:
When I was laid off from Paragon almost two years ago, I thought they had another 6mos, maybe a year left in them. I was wrong apparently. They managed to scrape by for another 22 months.

I'm sad to see my friends and former co-workers set loose today, but I'm confident they'll find greener pastures soon enough.

Admittedly, it's always a bummer when people you know personally get handed a setback that alters their life. You know how stressful it's going to be for them.

Still, I remember hearing about the Mission Architect and saying "Really? That's your plan to bring the sub numbers back up?". It didn't go over well. It reeked of desperation at the time.

Mission Architect was never designed to bring subs back. It was just one feature of many in an attempt to stem the loss of players over time. Fact is, very few games can maintain relevance for years and years on end, MMO or not. You'll always have your small, hardcore, slightly insane group of players who will be there playing until the end, but the majority of the playerbase is just recycled out for new players and not a damn thing you can do about it.

Really, it started out as a tool to allow Joe M. to create burnable content more easily and at some point it expanded into a 'Hey, why don't we let the players use this too?'

22. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:56 Lorcin

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:52:
bullshit

Seriously you think nothing made by a culture should be resigned to the dustbin? How about failed sitcoms? Are you saying the bloke who came 10 in big brother from 2003 should be preserved?

Ultima online, Everquest, Wow will become part of gaming history. Shity of Heroes will be a footnote at best.

21. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:54 xXBatmanXx

Thought this game would last longer, but again, doesn't fit my model of play. I did enjoy it when it came out. Think I stuck around for almost a year before pulling the plug. Had a lot of good times, especially after I acquired the flying perk. I was a sniper based character - very fun.  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

20. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:54 Ozmodan

NCSoft bails on a game if you look at them crosseyed. Horrible studio, I just don't play their games anymore period.  

19. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:52 eRe4s3r

On the other hand, many people wasted their life making this game and now it's gone. That's not simple waste, that is imo a cultural crime against humanity. Even if it's just a game, no cultural good should be allowed to perish out of existence because of greed.

And even if your memory is there, your memory is a completely irrelevant thing to us, who don't have it. Any cultural good should be made in such a way that it can be archived and at least in some way re-experienced. If not done, it is lost to the cultural heritage of our race.

And if it's not part of our cultural heritage, nobody will ever learn how to make a better MMO. Which is why this entire genre is the same shit over and over and over....

18. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:38 Burrito of Peace

Ruffiana wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:33:
When I was laid off from Paragon almost two years ago, I thought they had another 6mos, maybe a year left in them. I was wrong apparently. They managed to scrape by for another 22 months.

I'm sad to see my friends and former co-workers set loose today, but I'm confident they'll find greener pastures soon enough.

Admittedly, it's always a bummer when people you know personally get handed a setback that alters their life. You know how stressful it's going to be for them.

Still, I remember hearing about the Mission Architect and saying "Really? That's your plan to bring the sub numbers back up?". It didn't go over well. It reeked of desperation at the time.

17. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:33 Ruffiana

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:27:
TheRedfox wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:33:
NCSoft posted a $6M loss last quarter (rumored to be mainly from AION). It's a shame that CoH had to feel the pain from this.

The writing on the wall for CoH/CoV and Paragon has been apparent for a touch more than three years now. Aion was a bloodbath...and that was largely due to hubris. Oh sure, North American players just love Korean grindfests run with no effective control over RMT. How could that not make billions?

I think the only thing NC has left that is profitable in the states is Guild Wars. Auto Assault = Crashed and burned. Tabula Rasa = Crashed and burned after blowing through more money than several AAA titles put together use for budgets. Dungeon Runners = crashed and burned (but only because the publisher didn't know what to do with it. The development team was great and it had a wicked sense of humor that was smart). Lineage 2 was is being milked to death. Wildstar is going to crash and burn, too. It's space WoW with nothing about it that truly sets it apart from the already badly overpopulated MMO market.

16. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 17:27 Burrito of Peace

TheRedfox wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:33:
NCSoft posted a $6M loss last quarter (rumored to be mainly from AION). It's a shame that CoH had to feel the pain from this.

The writing on the wall for CoH/CoV and Paragon has been apparent for a touch more than three years now. Aion was a bloodbath...and that was largely due to hubris. Oh sure, North American players just love Korean grindfests run with no effective control over RMT, ineffectual safeguards against hacking and more spam in game than actual chat. How could that not make billions?

I think the only thing NC has left that is profitable in the states is Guild Wars. Auto Assault = Crashed and burned. Tabula Rasa = Crashed and burned after blowing through more money than several AAA titles put together use for budgets. Dungeon Runners = crashed and burned (but only because the publisher didn't know what to do with it. The development team was great and it had a wicked sense of humor that was smart). Lineage 2 was is being milked to death. Wildstar is going to crash and burn, too. It's space WoW with nothing about it that truly sets it apart from the already badly overpopulated MMO market.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 17:33.

15. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:52 Kajetan

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:45:
With online games though they just die.
Thats why this genre has no history and therefore cannot evolve. MMOs are nothing more than temporary services to (hopefully) make money. They only exist in the present, they are only allowed exist if they can make money.

Sure, offline games are made to make money too, but they dont simply vanish from existence after they reached their commercial shelf life.

14. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:45 StingingVelvet

NKD wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:08:
StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:03:
And now it just will cease to exist. That is what I hate about online games, no one will be able to experience this game again.

There are a lot of experiences people have that will never come again, and that makes the memories even more fond, IMHO.

If you think of games as art though, which I do, it is truly tragic they can cease to exist. With an offline game there can always be emulation or at worst getting an old machine working. With online games though they just die.

13. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:33 TheRedfox

12. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:27 SimplyMonk

Stormsinger wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:19:
Without a big name license like DC, I am fairly surprised it lasted this long. Says a lot about the game and its community really.

I would say that it says a lot about the relative value of IP, versus actual gameplay. Good gameplay keeps players, IP (good or bad) doesn't.

The only value in big-name IP is getting players to take a look at the game in the first place. After that, gameplay is all that matters. And there are plenty of alternative ways to get that first look...many of them cheaper than licensing IP.

Yeah. I agree completely. An expensive IP needs good game play to keep it going. Roleplayers and people that love the IP alone won't keep a game with high costs running. Good game play or cheap costs and a dedicated fan base can keep even a generic game going for years.

My favorite example of this is Horizons, which I'm fairly sure subsists now purely on people who want to role play Dragons.

11. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:19 Stormsinger

Without a big name license like DC, I am fairly surprised it lasted this long. Says a lot about the game and its community really.

I would say that it says a lot about the relative value of IP, versus actual gameplay. Good gameplay keeps players, IP (good or bad) doesn't.

The only value in big-name IP is getting players to take a look at the game in the first place. After that, gameplay is all that matters. And there are plenty of alternative ways to get that first look...many of them cheaper than licensing IP.

10. Re: City of Heroes to End; Paragon Studios Closed Aug 31, 2012, 16:09 Scottish Martial Arts

That's too bad. I never particularly enjoyed CoH, but then most MMORPGs haven't appealed to me. I do have an old friend from high school that works, or rather worked, for Paragon Studios so I guess he's out of a job now.  

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo