Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success

The Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page announces ArenaNet is temporarily curtailing their own sales of Guild Wars 2 to prevent the success of their MMORPG sequel from overwhelming the system (thanks nin), though the game is still being sold by everyone else. Word is: "Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. Weíll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely." Also, Guildwars2 reddit has word on an exploit in the game (thanks Eurogamer), saying this has resulted in permanent bans, though they are offering amnesty for those who request it:

We also believe and respect that people make mistakes. This is in fact the first example of a widespread exploit in the game. With this in mind, we are offering the members of our community who exploited the game a second chance to repair the damage that has been done.

Thus, just this once, we will offer to convert permanent bans to 72-hour suspensions. Should those involved want to accept this offer of reinstatement, contact us on our support website--support.guildwars2.comóand submit a ticket through the "Ask a Question" tab. Please use the subject heading of "Karma Weapons Exploit Appeal", then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit. You should submit only one ticket. Once you have done so, we will lower your ban to 72 hours, and following your re-activation we will check your account to make sure that you have honored your commitment. If that commitment is not honored, we will re-terminate the account.

This is a first and final warning. Moving forward, please make sure you that when you see an exploitable part of the game, you report it and do not attempt to benefit from it.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

26. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:47 Dades

Some of the exploiters admitting this stuff are a riot.

Exivate: Support, My name in game is Exivate. Support ticket #120830-017863. I got banned as well and would like to request the ban to be reduced to a 72 hour and/or a 24 hour rollback. There are way to many vendors in the game with so many different prices for the exact same stats. I admit I spent thousands of Karma at that vendor, and enjoyed playing with the Mystic Forge to discover different item combinations. I full expected the servers to be rolled back when I saw the hundreds of people standing around this vendor and the forge.I did not equip these items, though I was of adequate level to do so. You only hand out a 72 hour ban to macroers/botters and a 72 hour ban to Kripparian for advertising in game exploits. These punishments do not equate. Let me know the results of your decision here or via email with my support ticket. You should have /killed this vendor when you saw it was incorrectly priced, not left it alive for over 8 hours.

ANet responds:

But if you expected a roll-back, you knew the situation represented an exploit. And yet you continued? You exploited 2,167 times. Two thousand one hundred and sixty seven times. We will not comment further.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:43 DeadlyAccurate

Warskull wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:33:
I agree here, the bans are in poor form. They need the ability to trade-lock players. Then they can give the player the choice between being trade locked or having their items/money rolled back.

In fact, the game could auto trade-lock people who have an unusually high accumulation of wealth.

Considering that both the mail system (the only way to directly trade) and the trading post have been down for most of this week, *everyone* is trade-locked at the moment. Wouldn't really be much of a punishment for exploiters.

24. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:38 Cutter

Cres, yer right. They could have done a much better job with the tutorial and should have carried it over to really explain things like combos. However, they're not hard to figure out. The GW2 wiki is really damn good for any info you need.

Combos

Sp, for example, if my ranger lays down a healing spring and uses the right skill within it it'll combine to give a short health regen buff. If I'm shooting through fire it combines to create flaming arrows which give fire condition damage as well as regular damage, and so on. The leap finishers are actually a lot of fun as you can bullet into targets for serious damage. I actually earned an achievement for critcially hitting one mob for 6500k damage with a leap finisher and it looked really cool too. Combos are also important to learn for dungeons because dungeons are effing hard and they definitely really help.

That aside can't believe the AH was up for a bit than down again. And the guild shit is still wonky. Grr!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadÖ Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

23. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:37 Burrito of Peace

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:48:
I'm only now (level 25) starting to see groups working together to use their combo abilities. (Even though I still see people foolishly moving out of my healing fields. FFS, people, the white rings are good! Quit running out of them!)

I guess that has to be hold-over experience from other MMOs. I play in a small guild populated only by people that know each other directly and in the flesh. Because we are so small (there are only 6 of us), we had to learn back in GW1 to play as a unit and have skills that supported and complemented one another.

So far, in GW2, that has really, really paid off for us. Boss fights don't feel like they take very long and no one person in the party feels like they are under any great pressure. One of the things I have noticed is that none of the bosses seem to pick just one attacker and grind on them until they, or the attacker, is dead. They seem to spread the love, or pain, around.

I think it also helps if you play with a group that selects professions based upon how well that profession will round out the group's play dynamics.

22. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:33 Warskull

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:32:
"Please use the subject heading of "Karma Weapons Exploit Appeal", then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit. You should submit only one ticket. Once you have done so, we will lower your ban to 72 hours, and following your re-activation we will check your account to make sure that you have honored your commitment. If that commitment is not honored, we will re-terminate the account."

Oh f'in k dad!

How about this, first it was your fault GW2 to begin with. And since somehow you know who did it and if they will follow through, how about your program takes care of it and deletes the gains? I like how they think they can make the mob have morals like this, say "I'm sawries, I promises never again". It's still just a game Anet, sheesh.

I agree here, the bans are in poor form. They need the ability to trade-lock players. Then they can give the player the choice between being trade locked or having their items/money rolled back.

In fact, the game could auto trade-lock people who have an unusually high accumulation of wealth.

21. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:25 Creston

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:48:
In the low-level areas, the events do repeat quickly. That starts to taper out to a more reasonable level around level 10 or so, when you move out of the very beginner areas.

And what the hell are Trophies and what does "soulbound" mean? I have a shit ton of those, and they seem to have no purpose whatsoever? Is it just vendor trash?

Go to a vendor, click on the Sell tab, and hit "Sell Junk" to get rid of gray items (trophies). Soulbound means you can't give it to someone else. You can only vendor it, salvage it with a salvage kit you buy from a vendor, or drop it in the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch.

My first weapon skill seems to have three effects assigned to it. Does that mean it randomly picks those effects, or do I have to mash the button so it cycles through the effects? (I'm guessing the latter.)

It chains them. Your first attack is an auto-attack, so you don't have to keep spamming the button. Hit it once, and it will cycle through those abilities.

I also, from time to time, seem to do a combo. The game just says "Yeah dawg! You did a combo! Word up! You can also do finishers!" and never bothers explaining what exactly it was that I did that was a combo, what a finisher is, or how you do one.

Don't worry about combos right now. Get a feel for your own abilities before trying to pair them up with another player's.

But a quick explanation: there are two kinds of combo abilities: combo fields and combo finishers. If you do a combo finisher within a combo field, a new effect will occur. For example, if I drop a ring of fire, and you have a combo finisher: projectile on your bow, if you fire your arrows through the ring, your arrows will become fire arrows, causing fire damage to the enemies. You can mouse over an ability to see if it provides either of these two effects.

I'm only now (level 25) starting to see groups working together to use their combo abilities. (Even though I still see people foolishly moving out of my healing fields. FFS, people, the white rings are good! Quit running out of them!)

Edit: Oops, that was in reply to Creston.

Thanks man, I appreciate the answers.

Creston

20. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:24 Creston

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:53:
Okay, I played to level 4 last night, and I am rather overwhelmed...

I know you were being serious but I laughed so hard when reading your post. It was like listening to my mom trying to figure out how to work the blu-ray player.

Now I really feel old...

Creston

19. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:23 Burrito of Peace

Okay, I played to level 4 last night, and I am rather overwhelmed...

I know you were being serious but I laughed so hard when reading your post. It was like listening to my mom trying to figure out how to work the blu-ray player.

18. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:14 Lorcin

I'm lvl 15 and quiet liking the insanity, especially in Overflow. For some reason every world event seems to be going off the whole time simultaneously there!  

17. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 11:48 DeadlyAccurate

In the low-level areas, the events do repeat quickly. That starts to taper out to a more reasonable level around level 10 or so, when you move out of the very beginner areas.

And what the hell are Trophies and what does "soulbound" mean? I have a shit ton of those, and they seem to have no purpose whatsoever? Is it just vendor trash?

Go to a vendor, click on the Sell tab, and hit "Sell Junk" to get rid of gray items (trophies). Soulbound means you can't give it to someone else. You can only vendor it, salvage it with a salvage kit you buy from a vendor, or drop it in the Mystic Forge in Lion's Arch.

My first weapon skill seems to have three effects assigned to it. Does that mean it randomly picks those effects, or do I have to mash the button so it cycles through the effects? (I'm guessing the latter.)

It chains them. Your first attack is an auto-attack, so you don't have to keep spamming the button. Hit it once, and it will cycle through those abilities.

I also, from time to time, seem to do a combo. The game just says "Yeah dawg! You did a combo! Word up! You can also do finishers!" and never bothers explaining what exactly it was that I did that was a combo, what a finisher is, or how you do one.

Don't worry about combos right now. Get a feel for your own abilities before trying to pair them up with another player's.

But a quick explanation: there are two kinds of combo abilities: combo fields and combo finishers. If you do a combo finisher within a combo field, a new effect will occur. For example, if I drop a ring of fire, and you have a combo finisher: projectile on your bow, if you fire your arrows through the ring, your arrows will become fire arrows, causing fire damage to the enemies. You can mouse over an ability to see if it provides either of these two effects.

Edit: Oops, that was in reply to Creston.

16. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 11:24 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:06:
Okay, I played to level 4 last night, and I am rather overwhelmed. The tutorial was, to be honest, an absolute joke. I rolled a Charr, so I had to go into a dungeon and kill some dude. By the time I made it down into the dungeon where this dude was, a group of about 10 other Charr had already ganked the dude down to a sliver of health, and he died before I actually even got to see him. I never got XP or anything (since I didn't do anything, didn't have time to), but the quest still counted as complete.

Err click on the help button dude, it has basic information about the games various systems if you don't want to experiment. You get skills by just equipping a weapon, that's it. As you unlock more skills, the user interface will give you a small overlay tip pointing it out. Don't worry about confusion, everyone is confused at first as you are essentially relearning a lot of MMO crap again

1-5 are set skills based on the weapons you have equipped and the class you're playing. You get weapon swapping at level 7. 6-0 are utility skills that you choose based on your class and race, you unlock them with skill points that you get from leveling up or by just doing cool things in the game world that reward them. Don't worry about spending them, your exp bar at 80 gives you a fresh one for each "level" after that so you will never really run out or need to respec those. At level 10 you unlock traits which are almost like talents in WoW that let you customize your character even further. Trophies are used in crafting and if you go craft it is explained. Again though, crafting is complex and you will need to do more than just pick from 5 things on a static list, there is a discovery component that is pretty important.

Don't expect an interactive WoW style tutorial or something, for better or worse there are very few of those in this game. Guild Wars 2 does not hold your hand through every small task in the game, you have to play around and figure some of this stuff out. It promotes a thinking play style that you will need to survive the combat later on, particularly in dungeons and PvP.

There's a help button...?

Okay, I may need to go and find that.

Creston

15. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 11:19 WarpCrow

Darks wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:55:
Dades wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:38:
How about this, first it was your fault GW2 to begin with. And since somehow you know who did it and if they will follow through, how about your program takes care of it and deletes the gains? I like how they think they can make the mob have morals like this, say "I'm sawries, I promises never again". It's still just a game Anet, sheesh.

Ok thanks for sharing your valuable input.

I got to say I do not get this one at all, some people fell into this unknowingly and bought an item or two from this so called exploit.

Where is Arena nets integrity in all of this? I mean really, were they not the ones that fucked up in the first place with this over site on their part. And now because some people took part in buying even one item are now getting banned even people who only bought one item. Ridiculous!

To me thatís utter crap on Arena nets part. They are the ones who left this in the game to Begin with. Itís not like people used a hack to get those items or the extra karma out of it.

I was not banned, nor did I know anything about this until last night. But still Arena Net needs to take some responsibility over this too. From their point of view everyoneís guilty and to me thatís more than a little disturbing, also because they hold the keys, do what we say or else. Yea, OK!! Iíve just lost some respect for Arena net.

Ive been enjoying this game a lot, but this just sickens me to no end.

I'm pretty sure those who only bought an item or two are not being banned permanently. As for those who heavily exploited it, I say good riddance.

14. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 11:06 Verno

Okay, I played to level 4 last night, and I am rather overwhelmed. The tutorial was, to be honest, an absolute joke. I rolled a Charr, so I had to go into a dungeon and kill some dude. By the time I made it down into the dungeon where this dude was, a group of about 10 other Charr had already ganked the dude down to a sliver of health, and he died before I actually even got to see him. I never got XP or anything (since I didn't do anything, didn't have time to), but the quest still counted as complete.

Err click on the help button dude, it has basic information about the games various systems if you don't want to experiment. You get skills by just equipping a weapon, that's it. As you unlock more skills, the user interface will give you a small overlay tip pointing it out. Don't worry about confusion, everyone is confused at first as you are essentially relearning a lot of MMO crap again

1-5 are set skills based on the weapons you have equipped and the class you're playing. You get weapon swapping at level 7. 6-0 are utility skills that you choose based on your class and race, you unlock them with skill points that you get from leveling up or by just doing cool things in the game world that reward them. Don't worry about spending them, your exp bar at 80 gives you a fresh one for each "level" after that so you will never really run out or need to respec those. At level 10 you unlock traits which are almost like talents in WoW that let you customize your character even further. Trophies are used in crafting and if you go craft it is explained. Again though, crafting is complex and you will need to do more than just pick from 5 things on a static list, there is a discovery component that is pretty important.

Don't expect an interactive WoW style tutorial or something, for better or worse there are very few of those in this game. Guild Wars 2 does not hold your hand through every small task in the game, you have to play around and figure some of this stuff out. It promotes a thinking play style that you will need to survive the combat later on, particularly in dungeons and PvP.

cheaters

Cheaters should get what they deserve (perm ban!), if anything they are getting off easy here. I was all for Blizzard banning bots and scripters in Diablo 3 and I'm happy ArenaNet is taking a similarly tough stance. There was no grey area, they knew what they were doing, one guy had over 100 gold in 2 hours.

Playing: Far Cry 4, Prison Architect, DriveClub
Watching: Tusk, The Equalizer, The Homesman

13. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:55 Darks

Dades wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:38:

I got to say I do not get this one at all, some people fell into this unknowingly and bought an item or two from this so called exploit.

Where is Arena nets integrity in all of this? I mean really, were they not the ones that fucked up in the first place with this over site on their part. And now because some people took part in buying even one item are now getting banned even people who only bought one item. Ridiculous!

To me thatís utter crap on Arena nets part. They are the ones who left this in the game to Begin with. Itís not like people used a hack to get those items or the extra karma out of it.

I was not banned, nor did I know anything about this until last night. But still Arena Net needs to take some responsibility over this too. From their point of view everyoneís guilty and to me thatís more than a little disturbing, also because they hold the keys, do what we say or else. Yea, OK!! Iíve just lost some respect for Arena net.

Ive been enjoying this game a lot, but this just sickens me to no end.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

12. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:53 Creston

Then the game was like "Well, you made it through the tutorial! Have fun in the real world!"

Aaannnnddd.... err... that's it? You're not going to tell me how I can gain skills? How I need to assign said skills once gained? Why I only had 3 weapon skills to begin with, until I picked up and equipped a buckler, then all of a sudden, I had the ability for 5?

What I do when I go down? What those five new skills I get when I go down mean and do? I mean, yeah, they're pretty red icons, but fuck me if I know what they mean or do? I just spam them like fucking mad and one time I got up, and another time I didn't. Then it gave me an option to "return somewhere", only 3 seconds later my character stood back up, apparently none the worse for wear?

Why sometimes I'm reviving someone and I get XP (happened once), and other times I revive someone and nothing really seems to happen? Or they actually do get up, but I get no xp?

Okay then. Not EVERYONE played in the Beta and already knows all this shit, Arena net....

I rummaged around the starter area for awhile. Did some events, I guess, in that I got xp from them, even though I had no real clue what I was doing in most of them. In one I cleaned a lake, and it showed a progress bar, only the quest vanished before the bar was full, and suddenly morphed into another quest, which was "Slay a trillion elementals".

Then I tried to complete a "help some dude clean up the smeltery" or something, and before I was able to complete that one, another event kinda ran into the room and suddenly there were 900 Charr there laying waste to Flame legion enemies, and we had to protect some guy's loot from the Flame legion. I never saw said loot, but apparently we did really well, because the "loot stolen" counter stayed at 0/6.

Got xp for that one. Then joined some Marinius dude on his patrol, and after awhile he told us we needed to get him some "junk." Everyone started running back and forth to him, and the bar kept going up, but bugger me if I ever saw anything called junk anywhere. I asked in global chat a few times, but nobody responded. So I just kinda stood there, which the game apparently thought was fine, because after we ganked some Ghosts, I got XP and everything.

Btw, is it just me, or do those quests repeat at an insane rate? The events I did replayed over and over and over and over and over again in the few hours that I ambled around...

After awhile, I leveled up to level 3 and had a skill point! The only thing I could invest it in, or so it seemed, was a healing skill that allowed me to remove conditions. Okay, cool. So I "bought" that, and now it sits in my skill screen, but I have no clue how to assign it to my 6 key? I tried dragging and dropping, I tried highlighting and hitting 6, nothing seems to work?

All in all, it was a confusing few hours. Guild Wars 1 did a far, FAR better job of explaining itself in the starting area. I had fun playing it, and it's very pretty, and it's quite amusing to see a hundred players gank a single enemy that dares spawn (does it stay that way everywhere? Or is that just in the beginner areas?) and waste it before I can even hit a skill. But it'd be nice if I at least somewhat understood the mechanics of it... I guess I'm really getting old, and I just don't get all these fancy games for young people anymore!

Creston

11. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:50 briktal

Dades wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:48:
InBlack wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:40:
I tried GW2 at my store yesterday, it felt very similar to WoW, which was very dissapointing. I was hoping for more of Diabloesque or Age of Conan feel. The dynamic group events that I sort of 'fell' into were a disco-light button mashup where I couldnt make heads or tails of what was going on and consisted of me mashing my hotbutton keys. Its too much like WoW. Way too much. Skipping this one.

You have to play it for longer than 10 minutes to get a good feel for it. Looking at it on the surface it has a hotbar and some abilities so that looks like WOW or any other MMORPG but the similarities are only on the surface. The activities can be very chaotic in the newbie zones because its launch time and many people feel overwhelmed at first but it sinks in as you play more.

I think the fact that it looks so much like WoW/other MMOs is the biggest problem GW2 has in terms of getting people to play/understand the game.

10. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:50 Wallshadows

This is all well and good but I really hope they work on zone bosses where they bug on transition phases. Spending 45 minutes + to have a boss such as Megadestroyer bug out and become invulnerable until he explodes is just annoying.  

9. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:48 Dades

InBlack wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:40:
I tried GW2 at my store yesterday, it felt very similar to WoW, which was very dissapointing. I was hoping for more of Diabloesque or Age of Conan feel. The dynamic group events that I sort of 'fell' into were a disco-light button mashup where I couldnt make heads or tails of what was going on and consisted of me mashing my hotbutton keys. Its too much like WoW. Way too much. Skipping this one.

You have to play it for longer than 10 minutes to get a good feel for it. Looking at it on the surface it has a hotbar and some abilities so that looks like WOW or any other MMORPG but the similarities are only on the surface. The activities can be very chaotic in the newbie zones because its launch time and many people feel overwhelmed at first but it sinks in as you play more.

8. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:40 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

7. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 10:38 Dades

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo