Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success

The Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page announces ArenaNet is temporarily curtailing their own sales of Guild Wars 2 to prevent the success of their MMORPG sequel from overwhelming the system (thanks nin), though the game is still being sold by everyone else. Word is: "Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely." Also, Guildwars2 reddit has word on an exploit in the game (thanks Eurogamer), saying this has resulted in permanent bans, though they are offering amnesty for those who request it:

We also believe and respect that people make mistakes. This is in fact the first example of a widespread exploit in the game. With this in mind, we are offering the members of our community who exploited the game a second chance to repair the damage that has been done.

Thus, just this once, we will offer to convert permanent bans to 72-hour suspensions. Should those involved want to accept this offer of reinstatement, contact us on our support website--support.guildwars2.com—and submit a ticket through the "Ask a Question" tab. Please use the subject heading of "Karma Weapons Exploit Appeal", then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit. You should submit only one ticket. Once you have done so, we will lower your ban to 72 hours, and following your re-activation we will check your account to make sure that you have honored your commitment. If that commitment is not honored, we will re-terminate the account.

This is a first and final warning. Moving forward, please make sure you that when you see an exploitable part of the game, you report it and do not attempt to benefit from it.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

46. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:25 Lorcin

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:19:

Just because you left your keys in the car, doesn't mean that people aren't at fault for getting in and stealing your car. Yeah, it is a dumb move on your part, most insurance companies won't pay out for your policy and you might be held liable for what they do with that car, but it is still grand theft auto for the thief and they still go to jail if you press charges.

I'm sure whoever was responsible for the bug and the team that failed to catch it are catching their fair share of the flak internally at ANET for this.

A bit off topic but I did get back to my car the other day at a supermarket and realised I'd left the keys in the lock of the driver's door.

Like I always said - I don't need an alarm, the hyundai badge on the front stops anybody wanting to steal it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:25 Mr. Tact

Yes, you are correct. However, in this instance banning the users seems overly heavy handed.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:19 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:51:
From what I've read here it seems a bit far-reaching to call this an exploit. If they get the prices wrong on a vendor it is the players fault? How about banning the guy who made the change to the vendor from their offices for 72 hours...

Just because you left your keys in the car, doesn't mean that people aren't at fault for getting in and stealing your car. Yeah, it is a dumb move on your part, most insurance companies won't pay out for your policy and you might be held liable for what they do with that car, but it is still grand theft auto for the thief and they still go to jail if you press charges.

I'm sure whoever was responsible for the bug and the team that failed to catch it are catching their fair share of the flak internally at ANET for this.

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:17 Flatline

Death was a new one for me too.

When you die you enter what I'll call moribund. I like the word moribund and think it should be used more often.

Anyway, so you go down. You're laying on the ground and you have 4 skills. Throw a clomp of dirt, stun, skill 3 (for my ranger it's have my pet come heal me) and 4 is call for help and gen a little health.

Basically, the red bar above your skills are your moribund state health. By the time that empties, you need to either be healed by a PC, by your pet (or whatever skill 3 is for other people), or kill a mob. Note if someone kills a mob near you you'll stand back up automatically. After you die, you can be revived by another player so long as you don't respawn at a waypoint.

There is a basic penalty though for dying, but it's very small. Usually you receive a minor health penalty for a while, and usually an item of armor on you breaks and ceases to function until you repair it. Those broken hearts on the map are repair NPCs, and it costs like 20 copper to actually repair something. Pretty nominal.

Also, crafting is actually divorced from gathering, in that you can gather everything. Make sure you always have a set of gathering tools (scythe, axe, and pick) and GATHER GATHER GATHER. You get XP, about as much as killing most mobs, for each item you pick up. I average around 30-40 xp per tree I log for example. When you hit a spot where you've done everything and need to level grind to advance your personal story, consider crafting. It generates XP as well. Cranking out level appropriate weapons generates 4-500 xp a pop at first. Quite lucrative. In fact, mastering a craft supposedly is worth 10 levels of experience, and you can respec, so in theory if you have the materials you can level cap purely off of crafting.

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:02 Graham

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 14:25:
Fion wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:46:
FYI as well Creston. It's been mentioned that the wiki for the game is very well done. You can actually access the wiki in game by typing /wiki 'subject' in the chat window. It's very handy.

That's a very handy tip, thanks.

Thanks to others as well for the hints and tips. I should be back on tonight and I'll send out msgs to get into the guild.

Creston

Seriously, great tips. I was doing alright, but there's still a lot of mystery here (I actually found GW1 a little harder to pick up, but that could be due to the multitude of expansions and not knowing where to start).

The /wiki tip? Brilliant. Just... brilliant.

41. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:00 Graham

HorrorScope wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:31:
Dades wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:38:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:32:
How about this, first it was your fault GW2 to begin with. And since somehow you know who did it and if they will follow through, how about your program takes care of it and deletes the gains? I like how they think they can make the mob have morals like this, say "I'm sawries, I promises never again". It's still just a game Anet, sheesh.

Ok thanks for sharing your valuable input.

That is why I'm here! Not sure why they just don't fix it themsevels and not have people "Dear Anet, I'm sawries and promise never ever to do it again. Please at your mercy, unban me and I'll be a nice boy from now on".

Weird.

It's understandable why you're not sure: you don't get it.

You're on the right track; this is about embarrassing the gamer and making them aware that cheating will not be tolerated. Like dad making you go pay for the candy you stole, or admitting that you broke the window and will work all summer to replace it, they're making these cheaters delete their ill-gotten gains. It's not up to dad to do it, it's up to you. YOU broke the rules, YOU have to go through the motions so that the message gets burned in there.

I'm using YOU hypothetically here, I realize you probably weren't banned.

This is, without doubt, the best solution. The widely known exploit leads to the banhammer. They offer one-time absolution. From here on in, anyone found exploiting knowns their shit is getting canned. I'm positively thrilled about it–it's clear that Anet absolutely gets it. I bought gems to celebrate!

40. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 14:30 Dades

I noticed there are now NPCs in the major cities who give directions to various things, something I never saw in beta. They also highlight parts of the user interface when new concepts are introduced but I think players are missing these because of all the stuff going on.  

39. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 14:25 Creston

Fion wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:46:
FYI as well Creston. It's been mentioned that the wiki for the game is very well done. You can actually access the wiki in game by typing /wiki 'subject' in the chat window. It's very handy.

That's a very handy tip, thanks.

Thanks to others as well for the hints and tips. I should be back on tonight and I'll send out msgs to get into the guild.

Creston

38. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 14:16 Agent.X7

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:24:
Verno wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 11:06:
Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:53:
Okay, I played to level 4 last night, and I am rather overwhelmed. The tutorial was, to be honest, an absolute joke. I rolled a Charr, so I had to go into a dungeon and kill some dude. By the time I made it down into the dungeon where this dude was, a group of about 10 other Charr had already ganked the dude down to a sliver of health, and he died before I actually even got to see him. I never got XP or anything (since I didn't do anything, didn't have time to), but the quest still counted as complete.

Err click on the help button dude, it has basic information about the games various systems if you don't want to experiment. You get skills by just equipping a weapon, that's it. As you unlock more skills, the user interface will give you a small overlay tip pointing it out. Don't worry about confusion, everyone is confused at first as you are essentially relearning a lot of MMO crap again

1-5 are set skills based on the weapons you have equipped and the class you're playing. You get weapon swapping at level 7. 6-0 are utility skills that you choose based on your class and race, you unlock them with skill points that you get from leveling up or by just doing cool things in the game world that reward them. Don't worry about spending them, your exp bar at 80 gives you a fresh one for each "level" after that so you will never really run out or need to respec those. At level 10 you unlock traits which are almost like talents in WoW that let you customize your character even further. Trophies are used in crafting and if you go craft it is explained. Again though, crafting is complex and you will need to do more than just pick from 5 things on a static list, there is a discovery component that is pretty important.

Don't expect an interactive WoW style tutorial or something, for better or worse there are very few of those in this game. Guild Wars 2 does not hold your hand through every small task in the game, you have to play around and figure some of this stuff out. It promotes a thinking play style that you will need to survive the combat later on, particularly in dungeons and PvP.

There's a help button...?

Okay, I may need to go and find that.

Creston

Also an online manual linked from the launcher when you first bring up the game. Explains most of the basic functions of the game.

I do think they could have benefited from better in-game tutorials, however.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

37. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:54 Acleacius

Open the Trading Post/Broker/Auction House, Bioches!

I've had to make a 4th toon, now I've got 3 toons full of loot just so my main can adventure.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

36. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:51 Mr. Tact

From what I've read here it seems a bit far-reaching to call this an exploit. If they get the prices wrong on a vendor it is the players fault? How about banning the guy who made the change to the vendor from their offices for 72 hours...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:46 Fion

34. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:43 HorrorScope

LittleMe wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:14:

Yeah and considering these people have proven themselves to be cheaters, they're much more likely to cheat again. And what about the next exploit that does more damage? Anet here is having outstanding form. Saying "it's just a game" is a rationalization of abusing both Anet and their customers.

Cheater or taking advantage of great pricing?

Hey I get some of that, but you know what.... I'd love real life to be more on the ball then my video games. Lets get rid of the cheaters in the realz.

To be transparent, I don't even own the game, but as you have plenty of exp to understand what happened here. And to be honest I always felt a lot of people who want in day one is because of exploits to various levels will be in the game. They will be able to go straight to the top of the food chain and stay there because of that. Those coming in later, those loopholes will be gone for them, they will never reach their stature. That is another time when I insert for myself "I don't care that much, it's just a game" And MMO's are unfair.

You don't play monopoly, go to work, others keep playing while your working, you come home you have Baltic Ave and that is it, because the other trumped you while you were at work. MMO's and 24/7 server will never be a fair game.

33. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:37 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:55:
How about this, first it was your fault GW2 to begin with. And since somehow you know who did it and if they will follow through, how about your program takes care of it and deletes the gains? I like how they think they can make the mob have morals like this, say "I'm sawries, I promises never again". It's still just a game Anet, sheesh.

I got to say I do not get this one at all, some people fell into this unknowingly and bought an item or two from this so called exploit.

Where is Arena nets integrity in all of this? I mean really, were they not the ones that fucked up in the first place with this over site on their part. And now because some people took part in buying even one item are now getting banned even people who only bought one item. Ridiculous!

To me that’s utter crap on Arena nets part. They are the ones who left this in the game to Begin with. It’s not like people used a hack to get those items or the extra karma out of it.

I was not banned, nor did I know anything about this until last night. But still Arena Net needs to take some responsibility over this too. From their point of view everyone’s guilty and to me that’s more than a little disturbing, also because they hold the keys, do what we say or else. Yea, OK!! I’ve just lost some respect for Arena net.

Ive been enjoying this game a lot, but this just sickens me to no end.

Right.

I commented on this elsewhere last evening when this was coming down.

First many don't know what is right or wrong with prices a few days in.

It wasn't a hack, it was priced wrong, they now tell us.

But look at it this way. If you see a deal online, at craigslist, ebay, an auction house in game and the deal is so good. We are trained to stop our selves and tell the other person "Hey this is way too cheap!"? No, you are told to pounce on it, you just made yourself a deal. We aren't talking something unmoral here in damages. It's a game, it virtual non-sense.

They should make an announcement on their Official Site. Tell them what is up. Write some code to take it out, give the person back what they gave up and move on. Not... "Write your teacher an apology note".

32. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:31 HorrorScope

That is why I'm here! Not sure why they just don't fix it themsevels and not have people "Dear Anet, I'm sawries and promise never ever to do it again. Please at your mercy, unban me and I'll be a nice boy from now on".

Weird.

31. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:23 Beelzebud

I was already sick of the MMO style and then SWTOR came along and I'm pretty sure my desire to play MMOs has been killed for good. This looks completely unappealing to me, and listening to people talk about it (pro and con) just about give me a MMO flashback, and it's nothing positive.

30. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:14 LittleMe

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:43:
Warskull wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:33:
I agree here, the bans are in poor form. They need the ability to trade-lock players. Then they can give the player the choice between being trade locked or having their items/money rolled back.

In fact, the game could auto trade-lock people who have an unusually high accumulation of wealth.

Considering that both the mail system (the only way to directly trade) and the trading post have been down for most of this week, *everyone* is trade-locked at the moment. Wouldn't really be much of a punishment for exploiters.

Yeah and considering these people have proven themselves to be cheaters, they're much more likely to cheat again. And what about the next exploit that does more damage? Anet here is having outstanding form. Saying "it's just a game" is a rationalization of abusing both Anet and their customers.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

29. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 13:07 Blegvad

If you want a blues guild invite, I'm on right now (character name is Eidur).

Send me in game mail as I'm AFK quite often and might miss tells.

28. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:57 NegaDeath

This might be the first MMO I've wanted to try in a long time. And I do mean a long time, I haven't played one since before WOW launched. The reviews make it sound like a lot of the issues I have with the genre in general are improved or fixed altogether.  

27. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 12:48 DeadlyAccurate

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:37:
I guess that has to be hold-over experience from other MMOs. I play in a small guild populated only by people that know each other directly and in the flesh. Because we are so small (there are only 6 of us), we had to learn back in GW1 to play as a unit and have skills that supported and complemented one another.

So far, in GW2, that has really, really paid off for us. Boss fights don't feel like they take very long and no one person in the party feels like they are under any great pressure. One of the things I have noticed is that none of the bosses seem to pick just one attacker and grind on them until they, or the attacker, is dead. They seem to spread the love, or pain, around.

I think it also helps if you play with a group that selects professions based upon how well that profession will round out the group's play dynamics.

Yeah, I'm mostly talking the PUGs that form out in the world since I don't have a lot of people I know to play with. I suspect when my husband starts playing regularly and gets a feel for his own combo abilities, we'll have some good two-player dynamics going on.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo