Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success

The Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page announces ArenaNet is temporarily curtailing their own sales of Guild Wars 2 to prevent the success of their MMORPG sequel from overwhelming the system (thanks nin), though the game is still being sold by everyone else. Word is: "Effective immediately we have disabled sales via buy.guildwars2.com. To be clear, box and digital sales are still available via our retail partners. We are tracking our concurrency closely while expanding our infrastructure. We’ll re-enable first-party digital sales as soon as we feel that we can do so safely." Also, Guildwars2 reddit has word on an exploit in the game (thanks Eurogamer), saying this has resulted in permanent bans, though they are offering amnesty for those who request it:

We also believe and respect that people make mistakes. This is in fact the first example of a widespread exploit in the game. With this in mind, we are offering the members of our community who exploited the game a second chance to repair the damage that has been done.

Thus, just this once, we will offer to convert permanent bans to 72-hour suspensions. Should those involved want to accept this offer of reinstatement, contact us on our support website--support.guildwars2.com—and submit a ticket through the "Ask a Question" tab. Please use the subject heading of "Karma Weapons Exploit Appeal", then confirm in the body of your ticket that you will delete any items/currency that you gained from the exploit. You should submit only one ticket. Once you have done so, we will lower your ban to 72 hours, and following your re-activation we will check your account to make sure that you have honored your commitment. If that commitment is not honored, we will re-terminate the account.

This is a first and final warning. Moving forward, please make sure you that when you see an exploitable part of the game, you report it and do not attempt to benefit from it.

View
86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

66. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Sep 1, 2012, 00:04 Creston

Okay, I keep trying to /msg people, and it says invalid command. How do I send Cutter a message so he can invite me into the guild?

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

65. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 21:27 Flatline

Anybody else already starting to get hacking attempts?

I had one logon attempt ask me to verify from Spain last night??? Or is the verification system fubar?

64. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 19:45 finga

FloorPie wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 18:40:
Hmm, I'm sure the shutdown of their online sales has nothing to do with the credit card charge problems. Back in July I had one credit card denied completely (and an alert notice emailed to me from my card co. along with a locked out card/account access) and another card went through but then called me a day later to confirm the purchase wasn't "suspicious activity". The first company told they'd been having problems with "this company" aka ncsoft and stolen cards.
They are not the first company to do this, actually. World of Warcraft was really hard to find in stores for a good couple of months shortly after it was released, because servers were overloaded, it took ten seconds just to loot a monster, and everyone was lagging, so Blizzard just didn't ship out more retail copies for a couple of months. So it's certainly not inconceivable.

63. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 19:44 HorrorScope

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:19:
Just because you left your keys in the car, doesn't mean that people aren't at fault for getting in and stealing your car.

Another car analogy with video games, what's the cosmic-connection with that? Also not sure it matches up will in this case either.

62. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 19:40 HorrorScope

Graham wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:00:
It's understandable why you're not sure: you don't get it.

You're on the right track; this is about embarrassing the gamer and making them aware that cheating will not be tolerated. Like dad making you

That's the mistake a game maker makes. I have one dad and no game maker is going to play a dad role for me. We'er better then that. You are ok with it, I'm thinking this is to elementary. Remember the role one buys the other sells. As a seller you don't make buyers feel embarrassed or make them beg. If they really did something that is really awful, just drop them. Being a new sale, give them their money back and say "thanks but no thanks, we don't need your business".

61. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 18:51 Cutter

Acleacius wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:54:
Open the Trading Post/Broker/Auction House, Bioches!

I've had to make a 4th toon, now I've got 3 toons full of loot just so my main can adventure.

I know. I'm getting really pissed off with this now. I'm basically stuck on leatherworking because I need a ton of low level mats like blood vials and shit and even after farming for hours in the low level zones I'm barely close to what I need. I'm making plenty of money just let me buy the goddamn things. Jesus, my character will be 80 and won't need this stuff by the time it's fixed.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

60. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 18:40 FloorPie

Hmm, I'm sure the shutdown of their online sales has nothing to do with the credit card charge problems. Back in July I had one credit card denied completely (and an alert notice emailed to me from my card co. along with a locked out card/account access) and another card went through but then called me a day later to confirm the purchase wasn't "suspicious activity". The first company told they'd been having problems with "this company" aka ncsoft and stolen cards.  

59. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 18:03 Fion

Graham wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:02:
Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 14:25:
Fion wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:46:
FYI as well Creston. It's been mentioned that the wiki for the game is very well done. You can actually access the wiki in game by typing /wiki 'subject' in the chat window. It's very handy.

That's a very handy tip, thanks.

Thanks to others as well for the hints and tips. I should be back on tonight and I'll send out msgs to get into the guild.

Creston

Seriously, great tips. I was doing alright, but there's still a lot of mystery here (I actually found GW1 a little harder to pick up, but that could be due to the multitude of expansions and not knowing where to start).

The /wiki tip? Brilliant. Just... brilliant.

You're both welcome lol

58. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 17:56 Burrito of Peace

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:24:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 12:23:
Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:53:
Okay, I played to level 4 last night, and I am rather overwhelmed...

I know you were being serious but I laughed so hard when reading your post. It was like listening to my mom trying to figure out how to work the blu-ray player.

Now I really feel old...

Creston

Let me help you out of your chair grandma...

57. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 17:55 Flatline

Creston wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 17:17:
Makes sense. Thanks Flatline.

Creston

My pleasure. Also, all resource nodes are instanced to the player, so you're not fighting for resources.

56. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 17:17 Creston

Flatline wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:17:
Death was a new one for me too.

When you die you enter what I'll call moribund. I like the word moribund and think it should be used more often.

Anyway, so you go down. You're laying on the ground and you have 4 skills. Throw a clomp of dirt, stun, skill 3 (for my ranger it's have my pet come heal me) and 4 is call for help and gen a little health.

Basically, the red bar above your skills are your moribund state health. By the time that empties, you need to either be healed by a PC, by your pet (or whatever skill 3 is for other people), or kill a mob. Note if someone kills a mob near you you'll stand back up automatically. After you die, you can be revived by another player so long as you don't respawn at a waypoint.

There is a basic penalty though for dying, but it's very small. Usually you receive a minor health penalty for a while, and usually an item of armor on you breaks and ceases to function until you repair it. Those broken hearts on the map are repair NPCs, and it costs like 20 copper to actually repair something. Pretty nominal.

Also, crafting is actually divorced from gathering, in that you can gather everything. Make sure you always have a set of gathering tools (scythe, axe, and pick) and GATHER GATHER GATHER. You get XP, about as much as killing most mobs, for each item you pick up. I average around 30-40 xp per tree I log for example. When you hit a spot where you've done everything and need to level grind to advance your personal story, consider crafting. It generates XP as well. Cranking out level appropriate weapons generates 4-500 xp a pop at first. Quite lucrative. In fact, mastering a craft supposedly is worth 10 levels of experience, and you can respec, so in theory if you have the materials you can level cap purely off of crafting.

Makes sense. Thanks Flatline.

Creston

55. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 17:16 Creston

Ray Marden wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 16:28:
Creston,

Hurry up and get in the guild - I need somebody to harrass all night...

I need to get home first!

Creston

54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 16:37 Stormsinger

I agree here, the bans are in poor form. They need the ability to trade-lock players. Then they can give the player the choice between being trade locked or having their items/money rolled back.

In fact, the game could auto trade-lock people who have an unusually high accumulation of wealth.
In what bizarro universe is banning cheaters from a multi-player game "bad form"? Frankly, the only bad form here is backing down and reducing the perma-ban to a meaningless 72 hours. I don't want to play with cheaters, nor does anyone I call a friend.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 16:46.

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 16:28 Ray Marden

Creston,

Hurry up and get in the guild - I need somebody to harrass all night...

This game does have a rough start - not in the sense of being bad, but just from all the stuff it throws at you and how different it is from the "standard" MMOG.

I played in the beta - I knew I liked it, but I had no clue what the heck I was doing. The second time around, I had a much stronger understanding of what I was doing and the game made a lot more sense. Of course, my main toon is ~25, but things like combos were/are still confusing me (which is why I went to read the Wiki link.)

I have played WoW from day one, but we've discussing not even purchasing the Kung Fu Panda expansion - either way, we're certainly not raiding the same thing over and over again. The new patch came out and I have yet to log into the game to play with the new toys (huzzah for all toons having access to the original Nelft epic mount...)

Meanwhile, I have already purchased three additional character slots in GW2 and and just flat out enjoying always having something to do, having abilities change on the fly at my whim or equipped weapons, the focus on helping one another, enjoying the focus on exploration and finding secrets, the customization, not paying a monthly fee, etc.
MY SUPER CUTE ENGINEER ABOVE AND BEYOND EVERYTHING ELSE! <3
If all you want is raiding, stick with WoW. For everything else - I highly suggest GW2, though it can be overwhelming or just feel really different at first...

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 16:19 NewMaxx

SimplyMonk wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:44:
I'm not really all that bothered if a few miscreants disappear into the shadows never to be heard of again. As with most things though, I might have a different opinion should the Eye of ANET ever turn on me in a way I don't feel is justified. At which point, I quit giving them my time and money.

I was one of the people who discovered the infinite swiftness rune bug. What did I do the second I discovered it? I confirmed that it was reproducible. Then I reported it with a screenshot. After that, knowing I still wanted the rune's intended effects and my weapon intact, I logged off for the night rather than risk being reported or being forced to use another weapon.

Guess what? I woke up to a patch that fixed it and didn't get in any trouble. Likewise, when I saw an item obviously undervalued (karma vendor, and then the trading post bug), I stayed the heck away from it. Note that my policy is because I'm an honorable player, but now this will become the de facto behavior of players instead of them lulzseccing it.

People also need to realize that games like this, Diablo 3 (RMAH), etc., are a different breed than WoW's illegal gold trade. When you enter real money, you also enter in governments and criminal misconduct. This means ANet holds some liability for potential problems like massive money laundering, so they have to make sure people take it very seriously. If anybody wants a nice analogy, imagine a bank's ATM breaks and spits out $20 bills, if you don't think the government would crack down on you like apes on a banana than you're dreaming.

51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:44 SimplyMonk

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:31:
Why not just make them 72 hour bans to begin with?

The severity of the punishment is up to ANET. They set the policies. We agree to live in their little dictatorship. They dole out the punishment as they see fit. Obviously they wish to rule with a cold iron fist which sends multiple message. One of which being that if you don't like their form of dictatorship, you are free to move somewhere else. They don't seek to have a dialogue in cases where the user knowingly violated terms of service or even unknowingly violated them to a large degree as they only banned people who exploited the bug greater than 50 times which I would consider generous.

I'm not really all that bothered if a few miscreants disappear into the shadows never to be heard of again. As with most things though, I might have a different opinion should the Eye of ANET ever turn on me in a way I don't feel is justified. At which point, I quit giving them my time and money.

50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:34 NegaDeath

Ah screw it, I'm heading out at my lunch break to grab a copy.  

49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:31 Mr. Tact

Why not just make them 72 hour bans to begin with?  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:29 Flatline

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 15:25:
Yes, you are correct. However, in this instance banning the users seems overly heavy handed.

Which is why you can request it to be a temporary 72 hour suspension.

47. Re: Guild Wars 2 Bans; Sales Success Aug 31, 2012, 15:28 Flatline

Also, the giant that attacks the little fort in southern Diessa Plateau I think has the personal record for events that have killed the most PCs. That dude can 1-hit most ranged characters and 2-3 AOE hit most melee fighters. First time I stumbled on him there was about 60 dead PCs in a massive ring with everyone still alive at maximum distance pouring ranged attacks in. It was crazy sauce.

And as far as bitching about the world events, yeah, they do happen pretty damn frequently, and the beginning areas are massive mobs of murderballs right now. In the pre-launch you'd get 2-3 people in an event and it was fun and exciting. With 20+ players the hit points for mobs go up into I believe the hundreds of thousands if not the millions because my archer deals thousands of points per skill combo and it takes like 10 minutes to drop some of the bigger badguys. I drop in and out of them depending on if I've done them before or how close to finish they are. Some of the world events are quest chains which are always fun and drop good loots.

86 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo