Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

State of The Secret World

The Secret World Website now has an August "state of the game" letter from Funcom's Ragnar Tørnquist, as the senior producer on The Secret World offers reassurances about the future of their MMORPG, in spite of a rocky launch that's resulted in staff cuts. He discusses the need for layoffs and goes on to emphasize that the conspiratorial MMORPG still has a bright future:

How do we plan on doing this? First off, we're going to stick with our monthly release schedule. Like we've said before, we feel it's important to give our paying customers new content and features every single month. Our second issue -- Digging Deeper -- has unfortunately been delayed by two weeks, due to the restructuring of the team, but issue #3 (title to be announced, but there are cats and it ties in with our Halloween event) will be released on time.

Secondly, we'll be polishing, fixing and streamlining the game based on feedback from our community, in order to make The Secret World even more inviting to new players. We won't mess with the core game, but we will continue to improve the experience -- visually and mechanically -- and this will certainly benefit players both new and old.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: State of The Secret World Sep 2, 2012, 10:06 Killswitch

Blegvad wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:05:
Good concept (no leveling, modern world MMO).

It may not have the typical "character levels", but everything else in the game has a level requirement. You acquire XP through questing and killing to gain points to use for skill upgrades so you may equip better gear to survive against higher level mobs... How is this different than any other MMO?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: State of The Secret World Sep 1, 2012, 19:55 KS

This company bought NCSoft. Good riddance, I hope Secret World fails, too.  

7. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 18:30 SimplyMonk

"Meh." - Funcom in a nutshell.  

6. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 18:08 WyldKat

Blegvad wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 13:05:
Funcom just seems like one of those companies that can't ever get it quite right.

This is sadly the case. I loved the world and setting in AO, played the hell out of the beta, then release came and I got nothing but nonstop BSOD errors. It basically split our large prelaunch guild and everyone switched to DAOC within a few months.

Then there was AoC. Loved the world, the combat, the graphics, and many other things but having the old bait-and-switch Tortage to rest of game transition and positively broken PVP made me quit.

5. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 13:05 Blegvad

Good concept (no leveling, modern world MMO).

Poor execution - combat was incredibly boring (as a tank) build 5 stacks via your builder, use finisher, repeat. Character models were just terrible as well.

Funcom just seems like one of those companies that can't ever get it quite right.

4. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 12:22 Cutter

Beta was ok, but not $60 and monthly sub ok.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

3. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 11:59 Umbragen

When I can pickup the client for a reasonable price, I'll play it for a month or two; I liked the beta. I doubt I'll subscribe for longer tho - there just isn't enough content.  

2. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 11:06 Steelcamp

I kinda liked it in Beta....but not enough to buy it and pay monthly.
Ill stick with SW:TOR (yes I still play it)

-------------------------------------------
3 billion+ men in the world and my sisters keep going back to the idiots...

1. Re: State of The Secret World Aug 31, 2012, 10:36 WyldKat

They sent me a survey the other day. They seem to be very, VERY worried about Guild Wars 2 and to a smaller degree, Pandas. I answered it honestly, pointing out that the combat, creepy characters, and lack of many of the much touted "Investigation" missions were reasons why I was giving it a pass. Oh and the fact it's $60 with a $15/mo sub and a Cash Shop in 2012...  

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo