Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Into the Black

Link of the Day: Slashdot Poll - What's your usual coffee-making method? Thanks Ant. I use a manual Melitta, so I'm not sure if my choice would be "Conventional drip coffee maker" or "You've omitted my favorite method!"

R.I.P.: Steve Franken, Comedic Actor in ‘Dobie Gillis,’ Dies at 80. You didn't know you know him. Thanks Devicer.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 15:56 Yosemite_SLAM

The Cinnabon is some real good stuff nin. Totally agree. That Caramel one is pretty good too.

I prefer to percolate my coffee cuz it gets it real hot. Not sure what category that would go into.

26. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 13:18 PHJF

While we are on the subject, dihydrogen monoxide is in just about everything we consume and yet too much of it kills us. I've been calling my congressman over and over but nobody listens to me!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 10:33 nin

InBlack wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 10:14:
nin wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 09:43:
NegaDeath wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 23:24:
PHJF wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 22:03:
Coffee is absolutely disgusting.

I've tried it a few times a few different ways, figuring everyone enjoys it so much I must be missing something. All tasted like what I imagine battery acid tastes like, yuk!

I always assumed it was what dirt tasted like. Although I admit I've never tried dirt.

You never played outside as a little kid?

Oh, I did, I just never felt compelled to put dirt in my mouth...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

24. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 10:14 InBlack

nin wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 09:43:

I've tried it a few times a few different ways, figuring everyone enjoys it so much I must be missing something. All tasted like what I imagine battery acid tastes like, yuk!

I always assumed it was what dirt tasted like. Although I admit I've never tried dirt.

You never played outside as a little kid?

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 09:43 nin

22. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 04:54 InBlack

Turkish.

Baked coffee beans are ground into a fine powder. A "cezve" (brass coffee pot) is filled with water which is brought to a boil after which a teaspoon of sugar is added. Depending on the number of cups you want to brew the ground coffee is added, obviously while the coffee is being added the pot is removed from the stove.

This is where it gets a little complicated, the coffee pot is placed back on the stove, after a few seconds later a thick foam will start to form on the surface. Once the foam rises a centimeter or so remove the pot from the stove and let it settle.

Repeat the last part three or four times.

TUrn of the stove and let the coffee settle for about 4-5 minutes or so. Pour into small cups and add milk or sugar as desired.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 05:42.

I have a nifty blue line!

21. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 04:34 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 01:02:
The mentioning of the citations and the 9 page argue-like-crazy Talk page was meant to imply that I have reason to believe the Wikipedia article is non-biased. I've considered the studies that found health issues and found them to be flawed or debunked.

Yeah, and the link I provided is one of many with the simple facts of the hard science of what it is and what it does. Did you even read it? Dude, it's your body, put whatever you want into it. I drink, smoke - socially when drinking, eat red meat, etc. I've always said I was a hypocrite, but my hypocrisy only goes so far. From everything I've read and from everyone I know - friends of mine who are physicians, chemical engineers, etc. all agree - on the hard science - that Aspartame is very bad shit. There's a major difference in fructose and glucose and how it affects your body. Aspartame is neither but provides the worst of both effects with no upside. Whatever man, have at it. Was just trying to give you a heads up on avoiding something so obviously bad.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

20. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 01:18 PHJF

Diet Pepsi raped my mother and murdered my sister!  

19. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 01:02 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Aug 31, 2012, 00:57:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 23:58:
Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 23:23:
there's plenty of bad stuff out there, yes. However, the jury is out on a lot of stuff. Aspartame is not one of them. I avoid any and all things with Aspartame/Sucralose like the plague.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

And be sure to check out the citations, and the 9 page archive of the Talk/Discussion page. I've gotta go by the science really not the chain letters.

Well, here's some more hard science for you not put forth by the industry people themselves.

Scary stuff!

What industry are you referring to? "The World's #1 Natural Health Website" ?

edit: Seriously are you fucking with me right now?

edit2: Oops just saw the "not" there.

The mentioning of the citations and the 9 page argue-like-crazy Talk page was meant to imply that I have reason to believe the Wikipedia article is non-biased. I've considered the studies that found health issues and found them to be flawed or debunked.

This comment was edited on Aug 31, 2012, 01:47.

18. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 00:57 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 23:58:
there's plenty of bad stuff out there, yes. However, the jury is out on a lot of stuff. Aspartame is not one of them. I avoid any and all things with Aspartame/Sucralose like the plague.

And be sure to check out the citations, and the 9 page archive of the Talk/Discussion page. I've gotta go by the science really not the chain letters.

Well, here's some more hard science for you not put forth by the industry people themselves.

Scary stuff!

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: Into the Black Aug 31, 2012, 00:01 Sepharo

Check out my introduction to the new Steam community Friends page.
Classy, random internet stranger.
Also do I really need to see my face 4 times on the page there... And now two times on this one, sorry for afflicting you all with that.

16. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 23:58 Sepharo

15. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 23:24 NegaDeath

This comment was edited on Aug 30, 2012, 23:29.

14. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 23:23 Cutter

Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:25:
Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:19:
Sepharo wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:04:
There's a pretty clear generational thing at my work where nobody under 30 drinks coffee. We get subsidized Monster energy drinks at 75 cents but I prefer just a diet Coke or sometimes a 5 hour energy.

Seph, you do know Aspartame is classified as a biochemical weapon don't you? It's cancer causing poison.

If I hadn't gone back to check these comments I woulda thought you were trying to be funny.

How long does it take for the cancer to kick in? I'm doing a little over 2 liters a day for 8 years.

13. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 23:06 gsilver

I can't handle caffeine very well, but I like to have a cup of decaf french press in the mornings.  

12. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 22:17 mag

Coffee, black or with a little cream, is extremely tasty. But I only do a cup every week or two. I don't, in general, use caffeine, so it's a little too potent for me to make it a Thing.  

11. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 22:03 PHJF

10. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 21:56 Jivaro

Cutter wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:18:
I don't drink much coffee - tea man here - but when I do I use a bodum.

"He told a joke in 1997 that people are still laughing at."
"He shook his own hand to see what the fuss was about."
"His good side is his right side, and his left."

I don't usually drink coffee, but when I do...I use a bodum press.

-The most interesting man in the world

(sorry Cutter....I read your post and it just popped into my head)

9. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 21:38 tomigun

10-12 cups espresso black no sugar per/day

as long as the beans are good and its made well, taste is fantastic

should properly cut down a fraction though....

8. Re: Into the Black Aug 30, 2012, 21:32 nin

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 21:27:
nin wrote on Aug 30, 2012, 20:28:
Aaand another vote for "Coffee is not for me".

nin coffee is awesome, as long as you put enough cream/sugar/anything else you can think of that is tasty (like Cinnabon flavoring), in it.

That's my sister. Two drops of coffee mixed in with all the other shit.

I never liked the taste (though it smells wonderful), and I'm supposed to be avoiding caffeine anyway.

With the diet, I never even attempted diet pops. Nasty nasty...so I end up drinking a lot of water, preferably with lemon or some sort of low cal/no sugar drink mix (which can be surprisingly tasty)...

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo